M 240 arrives

Sully

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am sorry for my inability to express what I mean. I did not mean coding a six bit code on the adapter. There is an option called "manual" in the menue for lens detection. From there you can choose a lens. I think it's sufficient to choose a lens with the same focal length.

Now if you use any ordinary (Leica) adapter for LTM - lenses. The normal adapters for 35 and 50mm lenses don't cover the sensor for reading the 6bit code on the flange of the bayonet (besides some very old ones which are very rare as well).

From what we know yet, Live View should not work, because the 6bit sensor of the flange is not covered. Though if you have chosen the detection for a certain lens from the menue, the sensor on the flange should not have any function, because there is nothing to read as the camera got the code from the menue. The second device in the camera which detects if there is a lens should work as normal, because there is a lens.

Now: what happens? Will Live View work or not?

I am afraid that manual control of coding did not help. This was one of the first things I tried. I am sure Mark is correct and a microswitch in the area of the the frame-lines cam needs activation.

Wilson

I am afraid that manual control of coding did not help. This was one of the first things I tried. I am sure Mark is correct and a microswitch in the area of the the frame-lines cam needs activation.

Wilson

Thanks for the information.

With a LTM-lens and a normal LTM-adapter the microswitch in the area of the frame-lines cam should be activated, or not?.

If Live View does not work when the 6bit-sensor on the flange is not covered (usual LTM-adapter with a spare-out in the region of the sensor) even when the sensor is not needed for reading a code (lens detection activated from the menue with listed lenses), the 6bit-sensor should have a new funtion compared to what we knew from the M8 and M9:

It tells the camera (together with the microswitch) that there is no lens on the camera (which is not true in case of an LTM-lens with a normal Leica adapter).

Since there are other reports, that a 6bit-code on a lens is read even when lens detection is switched off (which was not the case for the M8/M9) and there is no description by Leica about a knew funktion in lens detection, one might ask if this is a "bug", or if it was done intentionally. It may be done intentionally to increase security that Live View will not be activated without a lens and to install a new function which gives priority of the 6bit code over lens detection switched off or manual choice of a lens from the list. But it may be a bug as well, so that you perhaps could use LiveView without having the 6bit-sensor covered, if it was "cured" by a firmware update.

Thanks for the information.

With a LTM-lens and a normal LTM-adapter the microswitch in the area of the frame-lines cam should be activated, or not?.

If Live View does not work when the 6bit-sensor on the flange is not covered (usual LTM-adapter with a spare-out in the region of the sensor) even when the sensor is not needed for reading a code (lens detection activated from the menue with listed lenses), the 6bit-sensor should have a new funtion compared to what we knew from the M8 and M9:

It tells the camera (together with the microswitch) that there is no lens on the camera (which is not true in case of an LTM-lens with a normal Leica adapter).

Since there are other reports, that a 6bit-code on a lens is read even when lens detection is switched off (which was not the case for the M8/M9) and there is no description by Leica about a knew funktion in lens detection, one might ask if this is a "bug", or if it was done intentionally. It may be done intentionally to increase security that Live View will not be activated without a lens and to install a new function which gives priority of the 6bit code over lens detection switched off or manual choice of a lens from the list. But it may be a bug as well, so that you perhaps could use LiveView without having the 6bit-sensor covered, if it was "cured" by a firmware update.

I have solved the problem by scraping off some of the matt black paint on the adapter around where the LED's would read. It is obviously an either/or situation. If either a frame-line is active or the LED's receive a reflection, then Live View will activate. See photo here of Fish Eye on M with LV active http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/274943-non-leica-slr-lenses-new-m-3.html#post2338369

Wilson

I have solved the problem by scraping off some of the matt black paint on the adapter around where the LED's would read. It is obviously an either/or situation. If either a frame-line is active or the LED's receive a reflection, then Live View will activate. See photo here of Fish Eye on M with LV active http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/274943-non-leica-slr-lenses-new-m-3.html#post2338369

Wilson

A relieving conclusion... :o Thanks Wilson !

one of the pict, taken with the 15 Heliar, I sent to You in full size Luigi :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wilson

That sounds good - though now we are back to # 18 where we learned, that LiveView did not work when LTM adapters didn't cover the 6bit sensor:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/274303-m-240-arrives.html#post2332055

What was the reason then, if it is an either/or situation?

Am I right that the LTM-adapters will work for the frame-line microshift as any M-bayonet? The fact that an LTM-adapter für 90mm which covered the 6bit sensor worked with LiveView seems to prove this.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is what I get with an S to M, 6 bit adapter on an Elmar 3.5/50 RS stopped at 5.6 with the M240 :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jc_braconi

That sounds good - though now we are back to # 18 where we learned, that LiveView did not work when LTM adapters didn't cover the 6bit sensor:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/274303-m-240-arrives.html#post2332055

What was the reason then, if it is an either/or situation?

Am I right that the LTM-adapters will work for the frame-line microshift as any M-bayonet? The fact that an LTM-adapter für 90mm which covered the 6bit sensor worked with LiveView seems to prove this.

If You run a piece of black tape on the gap there is on milled adapter ? just for trying.

Yes I am sure there will be practical solutions like this or just using CV adapters which have no spared out parts exactly at the position of the 6bit sensor. And to be honest, I'd say that live view will not be a real big thing for using classical or modern LTM-lenses. It is much more interesting for many other sorts of lenses

The discussion circled around this topic as the whole technical concept of lens detection and activation of LiveView could be understood by the reactions of the camera on the different adapters.

It might need to be silver tape (christmas wrapping tape) on the cut out of the LTM/LM ring to reflect the LED light. I am assuming it is an either/or due to the fact the Olaf and Mark's black Novoflex adapters activate live view because they would bring up the 50/75 frame lines. However it may be because the somewhat glossier black of the Novoflex compared with my Elephoto adapter reflects enough of the LED.

Wilson