M 240 arrives

Sully

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I used the LTM lenses with the adapters to M mount, the live view would not activate.

A menu sign came up saying "No lens attached". The camera was not seeing the LTM adapter through live view even though the optical system worked showing the correct finder size ( 35mm, 50, or 28) and the pictures I took with the adapters were fine. I tried 3 or 4 different adapters. None of them worked with live view, but they all worked with the optical system. The only adapter that worked with live view was the 9cm LTM adapter that had no M2 or M3 engraving. The other adapters that had M2 or M3 engraved on them did not work.

Ciao, Sully

• Like 1

I am a cinematographer and would love to see some examples of the movie mode. Can you use peaking while filming? Even though you are still testing, I would love to see some any examples. I assume its just taking down the JPEG profile to have sharpness all the way down, contrast, etc, and leaving saturation normal to get the maximum dynamic range.

Looking forward to hearing more!

-Josh

Sully - Just a thought on the LTM adapters - the older ones with the M2 M3 writing engraved into them, the flange was cut away on 1/2 the adapter, so maybe that is not covering the 6-bit sensors? The other LTM that you said work, it has a complete flange all the way around. I'm thinking that MIGHT be the difference. If you get it figured out, please report back. I have a couple LTM lenses myself, so your comment was of particular interest. Thank you, John.

• Like 2

Well it said dellivered to stores in Europe ans Singapore and I interpreted "soon in the US" to mean in a week or two. Maybe my interpretation was too pessimistic. I have had one on order from B+H since December I think, but no word on it yet.

It is a fact that M's have been delivered in the US. Most dealers in the East got one from what I can tell. Mine is in transit as we speak and John Buckley got his today and so did Steve Huff who bought it from Hansen,

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John Black wins Cal Tech/MIT Leica Engineering Award for solving the LTM adapter problem. John is soooo correct.

The adapter that works has the complete flange. The adapters that don't work all have half the flange cut away.

Now, I have to find some more full-flange adapters. Voigtlander use to make LTM adapters. Are they full or cut-away. If not, let's hope some one gets busy and makes full flange adapters soon. There are lot more LTM lenses floating around then R lenses.

Ciao, Sully

• Like 1

John Black wins Cal Tech/MIT Leica Engineering Award for solving the LTM adapter problem. John is soooo correct.

The adapter that works has the complete flange. The adapters that don't work all have half the flange cut away.

Now, I have to find some more full-flange adapters. Voigtlander use to make LTM adapters. Are they full or cut-away. If not, let's hope some one gets busy and makes full flange adapters soon. There are lot more LTM lenses floating around then R lenses.

Ciao, Sully

My experience with the Voigtlander adapters is that they are full flange. Stephen Gandy should still have plenty. Also Photo Village.

When I used the LTM lenses with the adapters to M mount, the live view would not activate.

A menu sign came up saying "No lens attached". The camera was not seeing the LTM adapter through live view even though the optical system worked showing the correct finder size ( 35mm, 50, or 28) and the pictures I took with the adapters were fine. I tried 3 or 4 different adapters. None of them worked with live view, but they all worked with the optical system. The only adapter that worked with live view was the 9cm LTM adapter that had no M2 or M3 engraving. The other adapters that had M2 or M3 engraved on them did not work.

Ciao, Sully

Hi Sully... you posed an important question for all of us who plan to use their (many... ;)) LTM lenses : I think is an issue related to the cut-out of some original adapters and the 6 bit "reader" : can we conclude that a LTM lens DEFINITELY NEEDS a full flange adapter to make it possible to activate Live View ?

Ciao, Sully

Hi There Sully - John - Luigi

congratulations for figuring out the problem.

I've just read this thread - It's an issue that Sean Reid brought up (I don't have any cut-away adapters or lenses). I'm not certain, but I think that there will be a firmware update to sort this.

Leica are quite rightly very keen to shut down Live view if there is no lens attached (to protect the sensor). The cut away adapters/sensors unfortunately trigger the same response.

I think that there is real hope that it will be changed to accommodate cut-away lenses/adapters

Ciao, Sully

I have just such a Voigtlander adapter. I'll give you my address and you can send your M-240 for testing. I promise, very full and complete testing! LOL :)

Joking aside, the Voigtlanders have the full-flange. My only gripe with them is that they have no provision for 6-bit coding. They cost ~$60 USD at B&H Photo.

One in California delivered by Camera West.

I was told that only 10 Leica Ms were alloted to the dealers in the US West Coast from the 1st shipment. Not sure if that is accurate info. Congrats to people who got the first shipment.

• Like 1

Houston Camera Exchange, our only Leica dealer here, said their first four are going to pre-paid customers, but they have no idea when they'll arrive. (And that just means four people pre-paid, not that they're expecting four at once.) They didn't get a demo model for the store either.

I never use them because they NEVER have anything in stock, and I have to pay an additional 8.5% sales tax versus no tax when buying online from an out-of-state dealer. Kind of sad because normally I'm a "shop local" kind of guy, but in this case I'm not a "wait longer to pay an extra $600" type guy.

Will live view not work if you use a manual coding for an LTM-lens with an adpter which doesn't cover the 6-bit sensor?

Seems it's like this.... let's wait for further confirmations... but Jono' statement looks clear and he is surely trustable.

btw: you mean "manual coding" in the sense of "setting the lens through the menu", I suppose... bit-coding can't work if the adapter doesn't cover the 6 bit sensor...if you code by pencil a LTM lens' flange, even in precise position, but there is 1 mm space (the cutout) between the coded flange and the reader strip, the sensor is "fooled" by light leak (note, there is NOT a code made of 6 white dots: this can have some relation with) ; for this reason I think is not so sure that Leica would provide some kind of firmware update to solve the issue, as Jono did speculate : indeed, is not a great problem, at the end.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I was number 2 on my dealer's list (US) and he received one last Friday; I'm next but there is no indication of when the next round of deliveries will occur.