Leica M in London

A.G.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I stopped by the Leica store in Mayfair today - not only did they have the new Leica M on display for all to use, but they had received a number of cameras that were in the process of being delivered to those on the wait list. I had been skeptical about the new camera (not a big fan of live view, electronic external finders or the need to attach R lenses - if I wanted a camera the size of an SLR I'd buy a D800). Upon trying out the M in the store I have to say that I was presently surprised. The ISO was vastly improved, the rear LCD was big, clear & responsive, I liked the LED framelines, the shutter action and sound were greatly improved over my M9, and the menu system was still relatively simple. All in all I would say any doubts I was having were greatly erased.

• Like 3

I was visiting from the US & I enquirered if any were available immediately (even though I already knew the answer I thought I'd give it a try). I am on multiple waiting lists in the US and have been from the night of the M announcement - still waiting....

I stopped by the Leica store in Mayfair today - not only did they have the new Leica M on display for all to use, but they had received a number of cameras that were in the process of being delivered to those on the wait list. I had been skeptical about the new camera (not a big fan of live view, electronic external finders or the need to attach R lenses - if I wanted a camera the size of an SLR I'd buy a D800). Upon trying out the M in the store I have to say that I was presently surprised. The ISO was vastly improved, the rear LCD was big, clear & responsive, I liked the LED framelines, the shutter action and sound were greatly improved over my M9, and the menu system was still relatively simple. All in all I would say any doubts I was having were greatly erased.

Fully agree. I'd add that the WB also seems much better in mixed lighting. My initial impression is that only the EVF is a disappointment in terms of ergonomics.

My quick impression was that it is noticeably heavier and thicker to hold... The reason for the thickness I think is the fact that the plastic frame around the bigger LCD now falls under the grip when holding the camera, the metal body itself doesn't seem to be wider... It's like holding the M9 with the thumb over the back plastic.

The EVF is pretty awful to look through, the focus peak could be useful, and the sound it makes is really a big difference.

I then rushed out of the Mayfair Leica shop.