If loading...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok - this is coming from someone who finds it simpler to load an LTM than an M: with a If that just arrived today it is impossible.

The film leader is cut, and I'm ready to slide roll and take-up spool into the body, just as I normally do with my IIIg and Model A. But there seems to be something in there, just before the shutter-opening itself, blocking the film. Shining a light through reveals something metallic (???), bizarre.

Holding the shutter open using B merely reveals the film plate, but something is blocking the film from getting there. All looks as it should, the camera is basically mint, from a super-reputable dealer, but what's going on? :confused:

Any ideas much appreciated!

The f models added a flat probe on the baseplate that pushes the film up just left of the frame so that it will more positively center in the rails. Is it possible that probe has broken off in the body, or is it still on the baseplate?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Like 1

Well, it is the plate out of place, as JC says. With the shutter held open at B, the plate can be pushed back. Otherwise, it blocks the film (and business card) for the whole of the plate's length. I wonder what would have caused the plate to move thus. Outwardly, the camera looks in great shape.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like another case of "return to seller" (the second in one month, I hesitate to add on different equipment - they really should check these things), unless someone persuades me it's an easy DIY fix. :(

Thanks in any case to all of you for your kind help.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, it is the plate out of place, as JC says. With the shutter held open at B, the plate can be pushed back. Otherwise, it blocks the film (and business card) for the whole of the plate's length. I wonder what would have caused the plate to move thus. Outwardly, the camera looks in great shape.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like another case of "return to seller" (the second in one month, I hesitate to add on different equipment - they really should check these things), unless someone persuades me it's an easy DIY fix. :(

Thanks in any case to all of you for your kind help.

It happens if not enough protected during a travel by courrier.

It is not difficult to get it back in its right place

check in this manual :

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/leica_iiif.pdf

page 57 you will see out it works

• Like 1

I guess it's a matter of removing the housing and resetting the pressure plate correctly, so not complicated. Still, it might be better to let the shop know, and send it back to a repair person. There is something else minor the matter: the camera will not advance a full frame with one stroke of a Leicavit. This was a little problem my IIIg also had, which Malcolm Taylor fixed.