Leica M shots (Post them here)

jaapv

A few examples including a couple of 100% crops showing a crane and some insulators respectively. The bubble shot is tongue in cheek regarding all the contradictory views being expressed about the new M as it seems to me that so often we find ourselves trapped in the bubble of our own preconceptions .:) To me as a new rangefinder user the M is a joy to use and the files are all I had hoped for.

love and peace

David

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I'm so, so surprised and disappointed – I'll even say 'alarmed' – by what I'm seeing here. My impression is the same as Ben's, early on in the thread: So many instances of tone-deaf hypercolor, with many Rs and Ys looking oversaturated. They seem quite lacking in the tonal subtlety of M9 files. Instead I'm seeing the sort of files that came from older Nikon DSLRs. I wonder if it's possible to make a pastel photograph with M240?

I'd been experiencing heightened 240 lust in the last week or so, after noticing that a some of my lower-light images would profit from more DOF via hfgher ISO setting. Now, though, I'm on the verge of canceling my pre-order and buying another (used) M9.

I'll look again on my other monitor at work. They were calibrated with the same software, but maybe I've let this one go too long without re-calibration.

I wish there were separate threads for really-RAW (unprocessed) DNGs and for those that have been post-processed. Perhaps some of the DNG images seemed too flat to the poster (as David mentioned), and the Saturation slider traveled too far to the right for my taste?

Kirk

Edited by thompsonkirk
  • Like 1

Here are some images uploaded straight from LR4 with no jiggery-pokery applied to colour, contrast etc. We were on a walk around the deserted medieval village of Wharram Percy on the Yorkshire Wolds on a day when the freezing mist slowly cleared and a beautiful milky sunlight bathed the landscape. I remember getting home and seeing the straight DNG images on my iMac and being wonderfully surprised and delighted by the colour fidelity to what I actually saw with my own eyes. Like it or not, believe it or not, on my computer they really are as close as close gets to how the landscape looked on our walk. And by the way, I don't for one minute pretend that these are high works of art or exemplars of Rangefinder expertise; I am still learning my way forward with the M and took these shots to see what the sensor was capable of producing in my novice hands and to remember a great walk with my wife.

Love and peace,

David

• Like 12

Hello,

thank all of you for the pictures. By the way, is there improvement for jpgs shots in comparison to the M 9, where it is almost a must to develop every picture by using Photoshop etc. ? And what is your experience regarding the Live View and focussing with it ? I am extremly interested to hear about using M Macro Elmarit 90 mm (ev. plus adapter) with the M and the live View and with the R Macro Elmarit 60 mm (ev. plus extender) under same circumstances. Thank you for information in advance.

I'm so, so surprised and disappointed – I'll even say 'alarmed' – by what I'm seeing here. My impression is the same as Ben's, early on in the thread: So many instances of tone-deaf hypercolor, with many Rs and Ys looking oversaturated. They seem quite lacking in the tonal subtlety of M9 files. Instead I'm seeing the sort of files that came from older Nikon DSLRs. I wonder if it's possible to make a pastel photograph with M240?

I'd been experiencing heightened 240 lust in the last week or so, after noticing that a some of my lower-light images would profit from more DOF via hfgher ISO setting. Now, though, I'm on the verge of canceling my pre-order and buying another (used) M9.

I'll look again on my other monitor at work. They were calibrated with the same software, but maybe I've let this one go too long without re-calibration.

I wish there were separate threads for really-RAW (unprocessed) DNGs and for those that have been post-processed. Perhaps some of the DNG images seemed too flat to the poster (as David mentioned), and the Saturation slider traveled too far to the right for my taste?

Kirk

I somewhat agree with you on this but I'm hoping that the strong yellows or reds are just coming from a warm white balance. I've seen some nice images coming out of the new M, if you want some raw files to play with you should visit the focus numerique review. They have some interesting files to play with and you should get a good idea how the M handles colour when playing with the raw files. The picture of the guy wearing a green sweater looks really warm/pink at the start but a quick WB fix (dropper on his eye) made the picture look very pleasing with excellent skin tones (imho).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I somewhat agree with you on this but I'm hoping that the strong yellows or reds are just coming from a warm white balance. I've seen some nice images coming out of the new M, if you want some raw files to play with you should visit the focus numerique review. They have some interesting files to play with and you should get a good idea how the M handles colour when playing with the raw files. The picture of the guy wearing a green sweater looks really warm/pink at the start but a quick WB fix (dropper on his eye) made the picture look very pleasing with excellent skin tones (imho).

I have found the auto WB is set too warm ...... I use Daylight for all pics with any natural light at all (even indoors) and the results are much more neutral. Infortunately everything I have taken so far has been under leaden gray skies so I have no idea how the M functions in real daylight :rolleyes:

Indoor shots on auto seem pretty accurate to me. The only real test would be to take two shots of everything at the same time with a M and M9....... I have already posted some comparison photos and in fact I cannot discern any difference when WB is corrected to the same point in LR4.....

First day "out and about" with the M (240). The weather here has been foggy and misty, so people were out today taking advantage of the sunshine, including the man who was giving himself a shave and a haircut on the sidewalk. Not really that unusual here in rural China.

All shots with the 35 Summilux FLE

• Like 9

Very first shot with my new M!

Special thanks to Gene Szucs at Adorama for the impeccable service. Can't recommend him enough.

This is 3200 ISO and there is definitely some banding in the black areas of the frame but overall the image is much much quieter than my old M8 and I'm very satisfied with the results.

• Like 9

Guest malland

Looking at the color rendition of the M240 in this and other threads I would conclude that I made the right decision when a few weeks ago I bought the M9-P in Paris which, at the promotional ex-VAT price, cost me only a few hundred dollars more than an M-E that I otherwise would have bought. However, I realize that there is still no LR4 profile for the M240, and when that is out the color rendition may improve; but I still suspect my bet on the M9-P will still turn out to have been the right one for me.

—Mitch/Vancouver

Lanka Footsteps [M-Monochrom/Sri Lanka]

Looking at the color rendition of the M240 in this and other threads I would conclude that I made the right decision when a few weeks ago I bought the M9-P in Paris which, at the promotional ex-VAT price, cost me only a few hundred dollars more than an M-E that I otherwise would have bought. However, I realize that there is still no LR4 profile for the M240, and when that is out the color rendition may improve; but I still suspect my bet on the M9-P will still turn out to have been the right one for me.

—Mitch/Vancouver

Lanka Footsteps [M-Monochrom/Sri Lanka]

...... from my experiments Leica need to knock 600k off the WB temp (on auto) to bring it back to an M9 colour profile.

I would hope Leica will take notice and do something to the firmware.....

from a purely image point of view at most ISO's you are not missing much with an M9-P except at the top end...... the real attraction is the added flexibility, wonderful shutter and the malleability of the resultant dng's.....

I'll be keeping my M9-P and can see I will use it regularly despite having an M as well....

• Like 2

...... from my experiments Leica need to knock 600k off the WB temp (on auto) to bring it back to an M9 colour profile.

I would hope Leica will take notice and do something to the firmware.....

from a purely image point of view at most ISO's you are not missing much with an M9-P except at the top end...... the real attraction is the added flexibility, wonderful shutter and the malleability of the resultant dng's.....

I'll be keeping my M9-P and can see I will use it regularly despite having an M as well....

So this reddish/yellowish look is fixable with WB? I've downloaded some dng files of the M myself to have a play and I admit the results turned out pretty nice but I've also seen plenty of pictures with really warm color and oversaturated yellows and I wonder why people have made no correction on this. I don't want to sound like a troll but I still like what I see from the M9s however the better build makes the M extremely tempting.

From what I'm seeing, the value/price of the Noctilux might get pushed even higher since the only sample shots coming from the M240 that don't look CMOS-Canon-Nikon like, and that still have the Leica look are the ones shot with the Noct.

That certainly is not my experience. I've been shooting with both my Nocti 0.95 and 35 Summilux FLE on the M(240) and the characteristic differences of the two lenses is the same as it was on the M9.

I also shoot with a Canon 5D Mk. III and the files with a prime 35/1.4 do not look the same as the Leica files.

• Like 3

Hello - some night-shots again...

best regards

lik

• Like 7

Environmental Portrait with 35 FLE.

• Like 2

Love the M shutter sound. Took this shot about 4-5 feet behind these guys and they did not know I was there. With the M9 whirring sound they would have turned around as it was not very noisy at that time.

Edited by algrove