Just had a play with the M240

satureyes

I agree they look leica - and this is with no actual profiling on Aperture for the RAW file. I really didn't do much to them at all.

Thanks for the compliments.. I have to confess.. I REALLY liked the focus peaking in the EVF. I know I will be shot in flames here.. but it's bloody good.

I agree they look leica - and this is with no actual profiling on Aperture for the RAW file. I really didn't do much to them at all.

The camera was set to 'auto' zoom in the EVF (or the live view) when the focus was moved and it worked really well. The thumb wheel then adjusted the zoom aspect from 1 to 5.

It did feel weird using the EVF but it was ok and loved the way it had the histogram view.

One thing I did notice was the frame lines in the RF window - I thought it was only showing one set at a time now, but it still showes 35/50 so perhaps I misread that somewhere.

It is (IMO) noticeably heavier than the M9 but not in a bad way.

To be honest - I was so aware it was SO new that I was handling it over-delicately.

• Like 3

....One thing I did notice was the frame lines in the RF window - I thought it was only showing one set at a time now, but it still showes 35/50 so perhaps I misread that somewhere.

35 and 50 TOGETHER ? Sounds strange to me... they have never been in pairs,and the classic bayonet-activated frames of course didn't provide such combination...

Guest malland
These look Leica :)
Sorry, but I knew this sort of statement was inevitable. It reminds me of digital B&W pictures people used to post saying they had "the Tri-X look", even when they had nothing that remotely that reminded of a film look, and much less of a Tri-X look. What these posters seemed to be saying was, hey, look, there is no color cast.

Now, with these M240 pictures and others to come, I am afraid that we're going to be inundated with paeans to the Leica look of any picture that that is somewhat dark with saturated color. The reality is that there is no Leica look.

The best we may be able to get at is how the M240 color rendition can be characterized compared to that of the M9 and, possibly (but not certainly) whether the difference (if any) comes from the difference in the CMOS and the CCD sensors. But it will be a long time before we can establish that as a general rule because the people who have either the skill in comparative testing, or talent in photography that enables them to show these differences (again, if any). are generally few and far between and won't necessarily be among the early buyers of the M240, going by the M-Monochrom experience.

Here are three pictures that I like — at least the first two as the third is here for its color — taken in Paris with the new M9-P that I bought a week ago. I doubt they help in poviding a baseline in judging the M240 color rendition, or do they?

Leica-M9-P | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 | f/4.8 | 1/125 sec

8506788343_d90c91596b_b.jpg

Paris

Leica-M9-P | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 | f/4.0 | 1/45 sec

8506786467_fb614b6b37_b.jpg

Paris

Leica-M9-P | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 | f/3.4 | 1/1180 sec

8502456929_e4ec8a2934_b.jpg

Paris-St. Ouen

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Paris au rythme de Basquiat and Other Poems [download link for book project]

I will be making a brief trip to London mid-March and Red Dot is on my list of places to visit (first time ever). Given the temptations on view, I might just have to rethink my itinerary...

Yeah, I generally find trips to Red Dot to be expensive!

Didn't know they had a M demo in - might have to find a way to get over there soon.

I'm very near the top of their waiting list.

- Steve

I too love Mitch's first image posted above; reminds me of Alex Webb's Istanbul.

BTW, I too find Satureyes' test images (thank you for posting) have the "leica look" or whatever that means. I am a relatively new photographer and still in the BW stage (MP/Delta 400/Ilford FB or RC), but am saving my pennies for the new M next year. I was disappointed in the beta images, but the test images Satureyes posted give me hope :D

Spot on PATB ! I too love the Istanbul images that Alex Webb did very much, but (with all due respect to the artist that Mitch is) I think that his (Mitch's) work reminds me more, in an emotional and textural way, of Daido Moriyama. Would love to hear from Mitch himself how the M9 and his MM is working for his distinct style. I can appreciate the MM preference and the way he can push the files wherever he likes to suit his work. More interesting to me would be his take on the M9(P) versus the image samples he has recently seen in the web from the new M. From his post above he seems to have recently opted out for the M9P as opposed to the new M.

Regards

Jorge