APO-Extender-R 1.4x, 2x fit on which lens?

k-hawinkler

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Using a 250mm f/4 Telyt-R II with a Novoflex LEM/LER adapter on a Leica M10. I'd like to use a 1.4X extender on the lens, and I know the APO-1.4X doesn't fit. (I can also verify the Canon EF 1.4X II doesn't fit either with an R to EF adapter.)

** What options do I have for a 1.4X teleconverter on the 250mm f/4 Telyt-R II? **

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Good morning - newbie here - I have the same issue as lecycliste - an APO1.4 extender (set.#3377446) and a 250mm f4 vers 2 (11925) that, now that I’ve bought them, discover they won’t fit. I hoped to use this Combo on an M240 with the Leica R to M adaptor. Can the 250 be adapted to accept the extender? There is a lot of stuff in the rear of the lens that may not be necessary for use on a M but I may only be showing my ignorance. Am I limited then to only using a 2x extender with the 250?

Answers on a postcard please........ and any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Check Leica Wiki, top right corner of LUF web page.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/APO-EXTENDER-R_1.4x

Your lens is not compatible with APO 1.4 Extender.

Good morning - newbie here - I have the same issue as lecycliste - an APO1.4 extender (set.#3377446) and a 250mm f4 vers 2 (11925) that, now that I’ve bought them, discover they won’t fit. I hoped to use this Combo on an M240 with the Leica R to M adaptor. Can the 250 be adapted to accept the extender? There is a lot of stuff in the rear of the lens that may not be necessary for use on a M but I may only be showing my ignorance. Am I limited then to only using a 2x extender with the 250?
Answers on a postcard please........ and any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ian

Edited by mmradman

Thanks mmradman.

I’m not sure if “not compatible with” means it won’t work or won’t fit!

In looking at the rear of the lens it appeared that the problem was the plastic baffle which, sure enough, stopped it fitting. Held on by three little screws. I consulted with Peter at CRR Luton, a lovely man, and although he gave up working on R Cameras some time ago could remember enough to talk me through what I might find and what might happen if I were to undo the three screws and see if the baffle would come out.

So - three short (very short) screws later the baffle practically jumped out into my hand.

A careful bit of measuring to make sure the front of the extender would not hit the rear element and bingo - it fits!

Now whether it’s supposed to, whether it will work, whether the baffle needs to be in place I do not yet know but I got an image. Will look at later, run some more tests and report back.

May be possible to find a different baffle to fit the three screw holes or get one 3D printed. Although matte black may have been just to prevent dust getting in??

Ian

Thanks mmradman.

I’m not sure if “not compatible with” means it won’t work or won’t fit!

In looking at the rear of the lens it appeared that the problem was the plastic baffle which, sure enough, stopped it fitting. Held on by three little screws. I consulted with Peter at CRR Luton, a lovely man, and although he gave up working on R Cameras some time ago could remember enough to talk me through what I might find and what might happen if I were to undo the three screws and see if the baffle would come out.

So - three short (very short) screws later the baffle practically jumped out into my hand.

A careful bit of measuring to make sure the front of the extender would not hit the rear element and bingo - it fits!

Now whether it’s supposed to, whether it will work, whether the baffle needs to be in place I do not yet know but I got an image. Will look at later, run some more tests and report back.

May be possible to find a different baffle to fit the three screw holes or get one 3D printed. Although matte black may have been just to prevent dust getting in??

Ian

It seems you just proven leica wrong ;-)

If you can fit 1.4x APO extender to 250mm lens and get the picture, also you can focus lens to infinity without mechanical damage you answered your own question. I wouldn't worry much about baffle, it is esentially there to stop big crumbs falling inside the lens barrel, sometime it helps with blocking reflections onto film/sensor when lens is focused to close distance, non issue with extender between the lens and camera mounting flange.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, finally, getting a bit of sun and a burst of energy I stopped trying to test this compo through my kitchen window and went outside. I will try to post some test shots but overall I'm pretty happy. Have to get used to focussing carefully (focus aid works fine) and the fact that its an older lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And the crop (50%aprox) of previous photo.

One more

Oooops sorry -

Apart from some Purple Fringing (which I understand to be easily fixed in Lightroom which I don't yet use but looks like I will soon) the images look fine. I also tested on the 180 f2.8 (non APO, I wish) and am pretty happy with those as well.

So, the 1.4 extender can fit on a 250 f4 vers 2 (11925) and does work.

Thanks for all the comments. No doubt there will be more questions.

Ian

• 5 years later...

Reviving a decade old thread here, but I was just wondering if which Apo 2x extender I should be considering, ROM or non ROM.

I have a 3 cam 180/3.4 and 3 cam 80/1.4, which I shoot on my CL via an R to L adapter.  I want to shoot for the moon, so am considering an Apo 2x extender.  I was just wondering if my 3 cam lenses would work on my R to L adapter + CL if i were to buy a ROM Apo 2x?

I also have a Leicaflex SL2 which I gather doesn't work with any apo extender; but if I get an R6 or 6.2, would this work with the Apo extenders ROM or non ROM?

9 hours ago, TL3 said:

I was just wondering if my 3 cam lenses would work on my R to L adapter + CL

I think so if you buy Apo-extender-R 2x "11236"

from https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/APO-EXTENDER-R_2x

in wiki, apo extender 2x for Leicaflex SL/SL2 exist as 11237

I use these days R lenses with Leica M and M to R adapter 14642

for example with apo x2, the best results are from Apo-Telyt-R 4/280

even if 1.4/80 or 3.4/180 with x2 not bad if the 80mm is closed to about f/4 for better results

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

The ROM is really not a consideration. It might bring the lens into EXIF but that is all.

I’m mostly concerned about present future compatibility.  The ROM app and non ROM app I’m looking at are not significantly different in price, so I would lean towards ROM APO 2x if compatibility was equal otherwise.

If I buy a ROM 2x, will my current 3 cam lenses fit on the CL?  And I’m guessing if I buy ROM R lenses, it will provide exif data to the CL? (And will it mount to an R6.2 I might get)

Thanks everyone for your input!

Edited by TL3