Tilt on an M 240

Lindolfi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the M 240 it should be possible to apply Tilt/Shift lenses as noted before on this forum. Tilt is the most interesting one, since it can not easily be imitated with Photoshop. Shift mainly saves you resolution by not applying perspective deformation in Photoshop.

So I started a first experiment with a Tillt/Shift lens on the M9 to see what is possible. The lens was a Canon FD TS 35/2.8 mounted on the M9 with a converter. The focal plane was determined with a Canon F1 body after wich the lens was transferred to the M9 (with the M 240 this step is not necessary ;) ).

Aperture was f/2.8 giving a very thin DOF wedge at an angle of 75 degrees (!) with the plane of the sensor at maximum tilt.

Here is a first test shot with maximal tilt downwards

shifttilt35onM.jpg

This is the camera and lens combination

shifttiltonM9.jpg

• Like 4

I had that lens, decades ago... :-)

Applying the Scheimpflug rule should be easier with the new M, indeed. :-)

Very nice example, Lindolfi!

This is my post about using a shifting lens with the M9:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/261755-using-2-8-28-pc-super.html

• Like 1

Thanks Manolo. Very nice tutorial on a shift lens indeed, that you wrote.

The Canon FD TS 35/2.8 was the first tilt/shift lens for 35 mm format and it is truly excellent.

I think it is an invitation for Leica to produce a TS lens for a Leica M with present day design methods. Although it is not very much in line with the general usage of an M. You really have to work from tripod for focussing: the angle of the camera and lens is critical for the DOF wedge.

The adapter from FD to LM had to be shimmed with 0.3 mm, because as usual the makers wanted to give some room to reach infinity. I've also tried a Canon FD 85/1.2 ASPH which gives interesting results and a Canon FD 300/4 L which is fantastic. Superior to the Leitz 280/4.8 last version.

An one where T/S are each on two axis that can be controlled fully independent of each other like a view camera.

My two R shift lenses are on Nikon mounts and they work well. I took out the null cam and replaced it with a homemade plastic spacer. It now focuses to infinity properly and shifts in all four directions.

I am afraid my R solution is Nikon mounts. Some day I will try them on a D800E, no AA filter. That should be as good or better than M240.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My two R shift lenses are on Nikon mounts and they work well. I took out the null cam and replaced it with a homemade plastic spacer. It now focuses to infinity properly and shifts in all four directions.

Excuse me, Tobey, what's the "null cam"on the Nikon mount?

Thank you!

Cheers,

Manolo

The adapter from FD to LM had to be shimmed with 0.3 mm, because as usual the makers wanted to give some room to reach infinity.

This isn't quite right. To be able to tilt a lens and have infinity available all over, or at least over most of the field you have to have the lens when zeroed be able to focus 'beyond infinity'.

I'm an architectural photography who used many LF cameras over the years, and for 35 and MF still have 7 shift and T/S lenses, including the 35/2.8 Canon. It's indeed one of the better ones; much better than Nikon's, Leica's (Schneider's) and Olympus' efforts at that focal length. Its only drawback is its focal length for architectural work. My main lenses right now in that capacity are Canon's 17 and 24.

Henning

Thanks Henning, but the height of the adapter should be correct. The architecture of the lens including its mechanism of tilt/shift allows for focus to infinity in at least one line in the image.

Apart from that, I wanted the adapter to be correct for my other FD lenses.

You are right about the high quality of this lens. I also have the Canon EF 24 TS, but can not use it on an M.

Edited by Lindolfi

You really have to work from tripod for focussing: the angle of the camera and lens is critical for the DOF wedge.

A question... Using your counter-top photo as an example, suppose you pre tilt the lens with the new M, through live-view with focus peaking, it's conceivable that one could hand hold the camera and adjust the camera until focus peaks the counter-top?

Only if you are lucky. The DOF wedge can be seen as part of the camera body when the lens is fixed in its tilt. So when you rotate the camera without displacement, the DOF wedge (with its plane of sharpest focus) rotates around the center of your lens and so when it meets the counter top in position, is still at an angle: when you allow yourself to both rotate and displace the camera, it is in principle possible to work without a tripod, but it is not easy.

Th easiest way is first prepare you composition and position of the camera and adjust the tilt after that.

Just did some further testing with the Canon FD 85/1.2 Aspherical and Canon FD 50/1.4

Here are the short results

Canon FD 85/1.2 Aspherical: fantastic lens on an M body. It is better than the Summilux 75/1.4 at f/1.4 and about comparable at f/1.2. Bokeh is wonderful

Canon FD 50/1.4: Useless at f/1.4. Ugly dognut shaped bokeh and micro contrast far below Summilux 50/1.4 asph. At f/2.8 it is quite OK, but there is no reason to use it given the great Leica lenses of 50 mm focal length.

So presently (next to the great Leica R options) the Canon FD TS 35/2.8, the Canon FD 85/1.2 Aspherical and Canon FD 300/4 L certainly are great for use on a Leica M body: excellent image quality, bokeh and handling.