ACR Release Candidate Supports new M

Guest WPalank

Just in time, as my new M arrives on Wednesday. Sadly no support as yet for my favourite RAW software Capture One (7 Pro). I have sent a chaser to Phase One. I have never been able to get on with Lightroom and my brain is far too ossified to cope with it now. I will manage for the time being with ACR and Photoshop. I have tried the generic DNG profile in C1 with some of the downloadable new M DNG files and it was not wonderful.

Wilson

I have never been able to get on with Lightroom...

Just curious if you've tried LR4; the controls are much different than with LR3. Still maybe not your cup of tea, but IMO much improved from earlier iterations.

Jeff

Just curious if you've tried LR4; the controls are much different than with LR3. Still maybe not your cup of tea, but IMO much improved from earlier iterations.

Jeff

Jeff,

I am just downloading the release candidate LR4.4 at the moment and I will give it another go. However, it is the whole basic compartmentalised structure I don't really warm to. I much prefer the very linear approach of Capture, where you load images at one end of the program, tailor in the middle and process at the end. Just could not be simpler. I also love their colour wheel, where you can play around with just one shade, colour and saturation. It is like a very simple to operate version of lab space in Photoshop. The skin tones tool works brilliantly in C1 plus the local noise reduction brush is first class.

Wilson

• Like 1

Just for starters on LR 4.4, I cannot see where to select the camera profile. It just lists Adobe Standard or Embedded. In C1, I can select any supported camera. I must be missing something. The M (240) profile is installed in root/library/application support/adobe/camera raw/camera profiles/adobe standard

Wilson

Guest WPalank

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just for starters on LR 4.4, I cannot see where to select the camera profile. It just lists Adobe Standard or Embedded. In C1, I can select any supported camera. I must be missing something. The M (240) profile is installed in root/library/application support/adobe/camera raw/camera profiles/adobe standard

Wilson

Because LR is smarter. It knows what camera you shot with. Why would you want your Nikon Profiles to load for your leica files.You mean Capture 1 doesn't know this? Simplest of all EXIF reads. It also knows what lens you shot with and will load that as well, only if you want it to.

Because LR is smarter. It knows what camera you shot with. Why would you want your Nikon Profiles to load for your leica files.You mean Capture 1 doesn't know this? Simplest of all EXIF reads. It also knows what lens you shot with and will load that as well, only if you want it to.

William,

I appreciate LR may work in a different way but in C1, I have for example M9-K64, M9-Velvia, M9-Porta and various other profiles that I can select and the same for my other camera's RAW formats. Very quick way to get a certain look. C1 does start by auto-selecting the default profile for your camera but then you can re-select as a modified profile. For the M8, I have various magenta correction profiles for using the M8 indoors with a flash, where the flat surface of a UV/IR filter could cause flare and spurious pink circles.

Wilson

I am just downloading the release candidate LR4.4 at the moment and I will give it another go.

Not sure if you've explored LR 4 at all, but if not, I thought this might be useful, although having nothing to do with the issue you raised. I find these sliders allow for much greater flexibility and control than LR 3.

In addition, the adjustment brush and grid tool now provide for local adjustments for noise, color, tint, moire, etc, which were not available in prior iterations. The overall noise control is also much improved.

Lastly, although I'm not generally a fan of video tutorials, these are useful and easy to follow.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

William,

I appreciate LR may work in a different way but in C1, I have for example M9-K64, M9-Velvia, M9-Porta and various other profiles that I can select and the same for my other camera's RAW formats. Very quick way to get a certain look. C1 does start by auto-selecting the default profile for your camera but then you can re-select as a modified profile. For the M8, I have various magenta correction profiles for using the M8 indoors with a flash, where the flat surface of a UV/IR filter could cause flare and spurious pink circles.

Wilson

Wilson

For some camera makers LR does provide alternate profiles much like C1 does. But not many choices exist for the Leica digital M bodies. I have good results creating my own LR profiles using the free Adobe DNG profile editor. I shoot a ColorChecker card with my Leica and produce my own profiles. I can adjust them to get the look I want.

• Like 1

Guest WPalank
William,

Wilson

OK, what we call presets, available on the left side when in Develop. Adobe doesn't supply very many, but hundreds of people do. Everything from free to pay-for all over the internet.

Here's a place to start for free ones:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=lightroom+killer+tips&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Nik Color Efex Pro has numerous camera presets available but it is a plug-in you have to buy.

Profile means something different in the LR world. Time to start using the term Preset, thus my confusion.

• Like 2