dannirr

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Danni,

The colors on some of these are especially rich (it is amazing you could find such beauty in such a barren place). Do you remember if photos Dunescape 2/L1000209.jpg, and Desert floor/ L1000154.jpg were taken with or without the IR filter?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dan,

Excellent job- you should get David Adamson to do a huge print for you at the discount he offered forum members.

I assume you did not use a polarizer, correct ? Do you or anyone else on the forum know if a polarizer is ever useful on the M8 and why or why not?

Thanks.

Just piling on...

Yes, I very much like your shots too.

Some have this abstract quality, where you get carried away just by the colors, tonality & composition, its not important anymore what object you see in the photographs...

Lots of light, great lenses, state-of-the-art sensor... this is exactly the kind of environment for a M8 (or a medium format digital back). The M8 is the perfect choice because of size & weight.

Peter

--

OK - I have posted some pictures from my "harsh test" in Namibia.

First. some info:

1.) I took 2 M8 bodies - one with the 28/35/50 TriElma and one with the 18/18/21 Wide TriElmar

2.) I NEVER removed either lens while there, and kept the cameras in ziplocks at all times unless in use

3.) I used a 486 on the TE, but not on the WATE. Lens detection was ON on both bodies.

4.) I used 1.09 firmware, shooting DNG + jpg

5.) Very light and quick processing in ACR / PS3 with some "spotting" - no where near the work I would do if I were to make a print, but I wanted to get something up here - so very quick level adjustments, some spotting, resizing and minimal sharpening was all they got - no color manipulaitons at all and no profiles used

6.) I used Lexar Proff 2GB and Transcend 4GB cards without problems

Danni

hi danny ..wonderfoul color,and qonderfoul shoot, sorry have you used ir filter?

luca

Hello all,

Thank you for the very kind comments you have made - I certainly appreciate them. Let me answer a few questions that have been raised.

I used no polariser - not because I object to them, but mostly because I have been photographing the Namib Desert for almost 25 years now and have found no real need. There were a handful of times I might have used one - if I had one with me which I did not.

I used an IR filter only on the TE, and not the WATE. Previous experience with the WATE and IR were disasterous (see a previous posting of mine) and I think at this time the WATE is better off withut IR correction. New firmware might change that.

The colors presented are real - I did no manipulation of that. I don't object to manipulaiton, and when I redo these with printing in mind, I will leikely play around with that some. The Namib is a strange place - light, color and form contantly change and you can be creative all day long - as long as you can stand the 110 degree heat.

Someone here mentioned I posted no WATE images, so I went back and looked. The first image (wall) is from the WATE. Others might be. Why might? I noticed something in that search I have not noticed before. I looked at EXIF info in Bridge to find WATE images - and on several occasions I found 3 or 4 consecutive images shot on the TE that have variable EXIF data - some images are correct, and some show no lens data and a max aperture of f1.0 - and I KNOW I di not change lenses and the images are just minutes apart. This is a TE coded by Leica NJ.

Finally, the issue of "art". For me, the desert is abstract in form, light and in meaning. I take few traditional type landscapes - although I did post those here and like them. What I really like are images that use the play of light, dune shape to create an abstract that has no implication of scale or even reality. I took a picture in the Namib many years ago, made a Cibachrome print and hung it in my office. I was asked by hospital admin to remove the picture of the "nude woman's private parts". That sandscape still hangs in my office.

Again, many thanks for your kind compliments.

Danni

BTW, my M8 arrives today. It probably will never see Namibia but your report lends credence to Lecia durability in the digital world.

John--

Was yours one sent back to Solms for upgrade? It's already seen Namibia!

That's why it took so long, man! They ship 'em to the Namib for testing!! :D

--HC

Danni,

What incredible images! Not to long ago there was discussion on this forum about the M8 as a camera for landscape photography. Your images certainly prove that the M8 is a very effective tool for landscape photography. I would love to visit this place. Out of curiosity, what aperture do you normally use for your shots?

Technology aside, you have captured beauty in the austerity, and severity of the desert. I can see how powerfully seductive this place can be. Thank you for the pictures.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography