Thw Quays - again + red filter

Pintpot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This Saturday was overcast, unlike last week (bright sunshine) this is with a red filter plus some post processing, M8 40mm Summicron (from a CL)

You are most welcome to comment, or play with the image if you like

Anyone else tried filters on M8 (other than UV/IR)?

Regards

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Nice. It is a good idea to use a colour filter if you are planning to convert to B&W anyway. It prevents one of the colour channels becoming under or over exposed if you try to get the effect in postprocessing.

I this case I feel the sepia toning takes away from the red filter effect. Have you got other versions?

Hi Jaap

An untoned one, re-done in the GIMP at work

Regards

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Paul

Thanks Jaap - not sure what you refer to, I can't see any banding on my work computer, I've blown it up as big as I can for a low end JPEG, although I think I've spotted (sorry!) a couple of dust spots on the sensor - time to get the 'Visible Dust - Arctic Butterfly out again'!!!

Regards

What about this? (can't get an optimum result using a small jpg esp. at high contrast edges ;))

• Like 2

Tony,

a good composition and I enjoyed so far the discussion with Jaap. I admit that Jaap's last version is bringing out the shining water in contrast to the building with its signicant architecture. But of course, it depends on what you wanted to have: the dark gloomy atmosphere or the building in its environment.

Thanks for sharing this discussion.

• Like 1

Found the problem. I am on an El-Cheapo Samsung monitor here, and it produces some kind of echoes of your black frame around the image. Weird...

Check the monitor cable. Also see if you can't use a digital cable. The echoes might be real echoes in an analog cable.

• Like 1

Tony,

I've never tried color filters with my M8, never even thought about it. This is an interesting avenue to explore.

I do like your BW version, emphasizing the abstract structure. Jaap's also works too, but with a different emotional pull.

Thanks for the idea!

Ece

Hi all

Thanks to you all for the discussion, filters are an area I intend to do some more work on over the next few months and will post on the forum.

And, in the end, that's what this forum is all about, the sharing of ideas, critique, insights, thoughts etc.

Regards

• Like 1

Again thanks to you all for your comments.

Here is the latest - from Saturday morning, again with red filter and this time a nice clear blue sky. M8, 25mm C/V. Please feel free to comment or play about with the file.

Regards

• Like 2