New M240...?

Muizen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My age brings some problems for using my M9: not so good eye sight and kind of shaky hands.

I studied in detail the photos I took last year and noticed that far too many are not really sharp.

This is, I think, more a consequence of not precise focussing than of shaky hands.

I did invest in a Walter eyepiece to improve focussing accuracy, but the Walter did not really improve much.

Since this lack of sharpness is also visible in many shots in higher shutter speeds I strongly doubt that my unstable hands did cause the problem?

I now would like to find out whether it is realistic to expect that precise focussing the new M will be easier than my M9?

If I can convince myself that this is the case I will order the new M.

If not, I might buy the Sony RX1 which is not only an impressing camera but for me more importantly very easy in focusing precisely.

Since a large part of my last year's shots were in 35mm, dealing with the fixed 35mm lens of the RX1 would not be a too limiting factor.

However this would be a step back out of the Leica world!

Harry

If you have eye problems the Live View or EVF with focus peaking will certainly be helpful.

If Leica has retained the diopter screwin thread on the ocular (betatesters?) you can transfer your WalterXeyepiece for additional RF focussing of less critical lenses.

It seems to me that would be a good compromise for you.

The suggestion about camera shake is not unreasonable either, even at higher shutter speeds if you are pixelpeepng. Try focussing the camera on a tripod to make sure.

Edited by jaapv

The eyepiece threading is identical to that of earlier Ms - no problem swapping the eyepiece.

re using the EVF - for some purposes I think you would find this helpful, but if I found myself depending on this for all lenses, I'd feel that I'd lost a lot of the unique pleasure and purpose of the M system.. I find that both EVF and Live View extend what I can do with the M, but they're not a substitute (for me) for the rangefinder.

If you have eye problems the Live View or EVF with focus peaking will certainly be helpful.

If Leica has retained the diopter screwin thread on the ocular (betatesters?) you can transfer your WalterXeyepiece for additional RF focussing of less critical lenses.

It seems to me that would be a good compromise for you.

The suggestion about camera shake is not unreasonable either, even at higher shutter speeds if you are pixelpeepng. Try focussing the camera on a tripod to make sure.

Jaap, I think I have read somewhere that in the new M, specially colored lines in the VF will make it easier to see these lines covering each other indicating correct focus. Wouldn't this make it easier to focus correctly?

Harry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My age brings some problems for using my M9: not so good eye sight and kind of shaky hands.

I studied in detail the photos I took last year and noticed that far too many are not really sharp.

This is, I think, more a consequence of not precise focussing than of shaky hands.

I did invest in a Walter eyepiece to improve focussing accuracy, but the Walter did not really improve much.

Since this lack of sharpness is also visible in many shots in higher shutter speeds I strongly doubt that my unstable hands did cause the problem?

I now would like to find out whether it is realistic to expect that precise focussing the new M will be easier than my M9?

If I can convince myself that this is the case I will order the new M.

If not, I might buy the Sony RX1 which is not only an impressing camera but for me more importantly very easy in focusing precisely.

Since a large part of my last year's shots were in 35mm, dealing with the fixed 35mm lens of the RX1 would not be a too limiting factor.

However this would be a step back out of the Leica world!

Harry

I would wait until until you can find a dealer who has a demo M240 you can try in person. The M240's LCD is of sufficient resolution to check accurate focus. If this doesnt work, the obvious alternative is an autofocus camera, especially given the circumstances you describe. Most modern AF cameras have good high iso performance, enabling higher shutter speeds. Combine this with AF and you should get accurately focused shots. A monopod or tripod would certainly be a big help, too

Edited by andyedward