Promotion on flextight scanners

Eastgreenlander

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is currently a promotion on the high end hasselblad scanners both the x1 and x5 in BH site and probably other dealers will follow. Similar promotion for EU dealers too.

Hasselblad X1 12.000$ (normal price 16.000)

Hasselblad X5 19.000$ (normal price 25.000)

Very attractive price if one can afford it and are serious about film and scanning. See terms in hasselblad site. A good scanner would outlast any digital camera.

• Like 1

A good scanner would outlast any digital camera.

Really? Parts and service availability would seem to be similar. Nikon support for their scanners is where? Certainly flextight/ImaconHasselblad have a good service reputation but you can " send out" for drum scans, and good as these are they aren't high end drum scans, for a lot of film for the cost. The alternative is a copy stand and a medium format digital back as discussed here:

16bit Drum Scanning

Appreciate the link though.

Really? Parts and service availability would seem to be similar. Nikon support for their scanners is where? Certainly flextight/ImaconHasselblad have a good service reputation but you can " send out" for drum scans, and good as these are they aren't high end drum scans, for a lot of film for the cost. The alternative is a copy stand and a medium format digital back as discussed here:

16bit Drum Scanning

Appreciate the link though.

Nikon are still servicing their scanners, and I've not heard of any parts shortages - have you?

Most digital cameras are effectively unrepairable / uneconomic to repair after less than a decade. In some special cases, particular faults in even the most expensive 35mm digital cameras can make them unserviceable less than three years after they are discontinued... ;)

Nikon are still servicing their scanners, and I've not heard of any parts shortages - have you?

Most digital cameras are effectively unrepairable / uneconomic to repair after less than a decade. In some special cases, particular faults in even the most expensive 35mm digital cameras can make them unserviceable less than three years after they are discontinued... ;)

Yes, I am quoted "best endeavours" from Nikon on a 4000 ED (discontinued 2004?) service yes parts if required very doubtful. In line with a 10 year life. Still looking for evidence that A good scanner would outlast any digital camera. looks like a digital duck quacks like digital duck supported like a digital duck.

Yes, I am quoted "best endeavours" from Nikon on a 4000 ED (discontinued 2004?) service yes parts if required very doubtful. In line with a 10 year life. Still looking for evidence that A good scanner would outlast any digital camera. looks like a digital duck quacks like digital duck supported like a digital duck.

Worn mechanical parts (particularly for mechanical cameras) will become a non-issue when 3D printing matures. Naturally supplies of electronic parts become difficult to maintain when ten (or so) years have elapsed.

Having said that, some of these Nikon scanners have been run pretty hard by image bureaus day-in and day-out for a decade without much in the way of servicing. Someone using a Flextight at home should hope for a good few years (or even decades) without problems. (Anyone can be unlucky of course).

Naturally supplies of electronic parts become difficult to maintain when ten (or so) years have elapsed.

Or much less if you need an M8 screen replaced :eek:

(my screen is OK but red LEDs in the viewfinder have failed)

I put Portra 400 through a 1934 Leica III last week, shame I won't be around in 80 years to try the M8 but I think I can predict with some confidence the outcome.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the Coolscan 8000-9000 Yahoo group there are frequent discussions about the longevity and serviceability of these scanners. The general idea - as I understand it - is that Nikon doesn't support the 8000 any longer but will support the 9000 for a few (unspecified how many) years to come.

Imacons have to be maintained annually unless I am mistaken so that should figure in the calculation methinks.

(and I can't help but jump onto the tangent - I just love how the old Barnacks tick along, some in their 9th decade. Makes me smile :) ).

• 4 weeks later...
Imacons have to be maintained annually unless I am mistaken so that should figure in the calculation methinks.

You are mistaken. Sorry.

After 12 months since the previous service, an on-screen message informs that a service is due. Happens on my car too. But cancelling it down resets it for another month, or one can get into the service software and reset it for another year.

My 848 does less scanning in a year than the ones owned by Paris' Magnum office, or the British Library, do in a day. They'll need an annual service, I doubt I'll ever need another service. The cost for an on-site service was £100, two years ago, providing one could fit in with the availability of the Hasselblad guy in my local area. :o