Coding uncoded lenses + DNG

digital10d

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

Newbie question. If you are using an uncoded lens on M9 using DNG files only, then is it necessary to set the camera to a Leica equivalent lens, when this can be set in LR4. In other words set lens detection to OFF and make the correction in LR. Note I am only using DNG files, no JPGs.

• Like 1

If it works for you, all is well. Do an evenly lighted white board and see how it works, vignetting and corner color shift. This is the acid test.

If not, corner fix will work. Problem is it an extra step.

Easiest solution is to code at least the wide lenses or assign code in the menu, then let the camera do it`s thing. For pics where perfection is required, add a corner fix correction to what the camera did. That is my advice for both M8 &9

Asides from the in camera lens profiling, the most handy point of defining what lens you are shooting with is as a reminder for later - the focal length is entered into the image metadata. If you only shoot with a single lens, then not important, but if you use multiple lenses in a shoot, very handy.

My understanding looking at my images is that the in-house M9 correction is better for color shifts, but that LR does some small optical correction. Best seen on wides. I clearly see this on the 28/2,8 ASPH. So I use both if possible.

If I use Cornerfix I prefer to have profile set to OFF.

Btw, I take photos under white-off snow conditions, so for me the color shifts are real and troublesome issues. The real problem is to calibrate by creating profiles for various conditions.

Its true that both vignetting and color shift depends on aperture, so I have Conerfix profiles per aperture. I guess you could do that with Adobe tool as well, but Im not sure if its worth the effrot.

If one uses flat field corrections like an LCC profile in C1 it is actually quite easy. Shoot profile shots at all apertures and load them as profiles in the LCC panel. After that the correction takes one mouse click.

Or shoot a profile shot immediately after taking the image. Three mouse clicks in that case.

A profile shot is for instance the grey card (shot defocussed through an expo disk or even a sheet of white paper to make sure it is even) . Any featureless surface will do.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you all for your replies. It looks like I am going to have to do some research into CornerFix and some testing in LR4. Vignetting and colour shift is different at each lens aperture so if I use CornerFix then making profiles at each aperture makes sense. However this makes me question even more how the lens profile correction works.

Firstly in camera correction.

The camera knows what aperture is set so does the lens profile take this into account ?

In LR4.

Are the Leica lens profile corrections optical only or vignetting and colour shift as well ?

If I shoot with the wrong in camera profile set can this be corrected in LR4?

I'm going to go now and read all I can about CornerFix and then maybe have a lay down in a darkened room !!:D

Hello,

maybe one stupid question.

does the lens selection only influence jpeg or also the image data of the raw files. Or are the pixel data of the raw files the same and the information about the lens is written only in the metadata and when I turn lens correction on in lightroom it will read the lens information out of the metadata and applies its own (lightroom) corrections?

Happy sunday

Daniel

You might test it: Choose a manual lens detection which is completely wrong (e.g. 90mm Makro-Elmar for a 28mm Summicron) and look at the DNG before you apply a raw converter and produce a jpg: you will see that the DNG is "wrong".

If you switch off the lens detection for a lens which doesn't have much in-camera correction, or choose a detection, which is not "completely" wrong (e.g. 90mm Summicron instead of 90mm Macro-Elmar), you'll perhaps see some slight diference, but certainly not much. The corrections achieved by lens-detection depend on the individual lens you use: unimportant for lenses of 50mm or longer, important for shorter focal lengthes.

Edited by UliWer

Guest Duane Pandorf
Thank you all for your replies. It looks like I am going to have to do some research into CornerFix and some testing in LR4. Vignetting and colour shift is different at each lens aperture so if I use CornerFix then making profiles at each aperture makes sense. However this makes me question even more how the lens profile correction works.

Firstly in camera correction.

The camera knows what aperture is set so does the lens profile take this into account ?

In LR4.

Are the Leica lens profile corrections optical only or vignetting and colour shift as well ?

If I shoot with the wrong in camera profile set can this be corrected in LR4?

I'm going to go now and read all I can about CornerFix and then maybe have a lay down in a darkened room !!:D

This is what I do for the one uncoded lens I have:

First off you have the ability to set up to 4 profiles in camera. You could have up to 4 uncoded lenses and still be able to assign a lens profile in camera you use a different profile for each of these lenses.

You just have to remember when you change lenses to switch profiles. It's not that hard to do.

Hello,

maybe one stupid question.

does the lens selection only influence jpeg or also the image data of the raw files. Or are the pixel data of the raw files the same and the information about the lens is written only in the metadata and when I turn lens correction on in lightroom it will read the lens information out of the metadata and applies its own (lightroom) corrections?

Happy sunday

Daniel

The corrections applied by the camera are mainly for the sensor reaction to that particular lens and are written to the raw file. Some cannot even be replicated in postprocessing. The lens corrections in LR4 are general ones for the lens, so they do not take the sensor into account. Mostly distortion and up to a certain point vignetting.

• Like 1

I suggest you use a lens coder kit first (costs about $50 in my recollection). Then your lens will be coded (takes about 2 minutes to do) and you can address any remaining colour shifts or vignetting through LCC profiling or Cornerfix as suggested above. Much better than having to remember to switch the profile manually and much cheaper than having your lenses coded by Leica. Here is a link to the coder kit: Coder Kit

Tried ConnerFix today. Found it very easy to use and produced very good results. I know I can get uncoded lenses coded either DIY or Pro but at the moment happy with using user presets. So conclusion, use manual lens detection set to recommended Leica equivalent and then run this through CornerFix to get perfection. Just need to find a way to record accurate aperture EXIF data. I know use Leica lenses !:D