Second hand Leica Monochrom

Samurai77

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there guys,

I am a first time poster but been a reader for some time. Firstly "hi".

I've been intrigued with Leica for some time whilst being a long term Canon user. Im tired of a huge SLR that for most of the time I simply don't carry because of size, weight and the fact it scares potential subjects off. I like manual focus. I like quality and I love the look that leica glass gives to many photos i've seen.

I've put my name down on the waiting list and should receive the Leica M in April without even having tried the M system- till today that is. Walked into the store where I placed my order and asked to have a play with a leica m9 camera. Got handed a Leica M monochrom and instantly liked the camera. Simple and intuitive. What would you guys be willing to pay on a lightly used monochrome? I'm tempted even though its near new in price and still has 1.5years on the warranty. I cant find a new one in Aus under 9k. This is going for 7.5k.

I'm considering just taking the plunge and will see if I still want the M when it becomes available.....

Interested in your thoughts.....

Justin

Although the Monochrom is as addictive as Crack to the photographer who is willing to follow its specialized path, it is not a camera to buy if you have not carefully considered the implications of its use.

There has been some silly talk of it being a stopgap camera to bridge the transition from the M9 to the M, it is not.

You need to have an affinity with B&W photography (obviously) and then you need the ability and desire to translate the world into shapes and tonal values, or the willingness to invest time and effort into learning to do so.

Maybe you did not mean it that way, but your post comes out as " I cannot get the M right now so let's have the MM" That would be simply GAS and end up putting the camera on the used market again in a few months with a financial loss to you.

On the other hand, if it works its magic on you, you will end up never selling it and buying an additional M for those colour shots.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 5

Thanks Jaap.

Its not every day you come across a Monochrom thats a) available and b)cheaper than new with a warranty.

Truth is I do love B & W photography and usually convert a good portion of my keeper shots into it. I used to shoot more B & W film than colour (80/20).

Whilst I can see converting M shots in B & W. I like the prospect of a dedicated camera for the task thats very good at it. The likelihood is I will keep it rather than sell it when the M comes.

Would I really be selling it at a big loss if I did change my mind about keeping it? My question was in part, "what is the guestimated going rate for one"?

Kind regards,

Justin

Edited by Samurai77
error in second last sentence

The Monochrom for me is like a portable sketch-book.

That's what I also prefer about B&W only. It reminds me of charcoal sketching. I love it.

When I come home I upload these rich files that can be pushed and pulled in any direction without introducing lots of artifacts and crap like that.

Combined with my Wacom Intuos 5 medium and Photoshop CS6 this is the most fun I've hever had in regards to post-processing. Actually it's the only fun I've had. Working with color files was always tedious and boring to me. And don't ask me for a reason. It's just the way it is and the way I feel.

I bought the MM without ever trying it. I bought it without any history in B&W film photography at all. And I love it to death. You might as well, and you might not.

I'd say it depends more on what you want to create from your workflow. I have always hated working with color files.

There was too much focus on the technical aspect of the images - white balance, color correction, color values, color tones, channel mixing, bla bla bla and bla. I stopped enjoying the post-process of the images due to all this crap. I wanted to focus on the content of the images ONLY.

The MM let's me do that without any worries. And that's why I love it. Not because it's a Leica, not because it's black chrome, not because it has superior resolution, and everything else.

Thanks Jaap.

Its not every day you come across a Monochrom thats a) available and b)cheaper than new with a warranty.

Try Robert White in UK. I have bought tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear from them in the past when the exchange rate has favored the US. They are very reliable. There was no customs fee for cameras or lenses in the US, so that has not affected me. Of course, no UK VAT either as it is being shipped outside of UK.

Leica M MONOCHROM Camera body - Cameras | Robert White Photographic Ltd

With the exchange rate, it is US $7,384 + shipping for a NEW MM body.

Thanks Jaap.

Truth is I do love B & W photography and usually convert a good portion of my keeper shots into it. I used to shoot more B & W film than colour (80/20).

Whilst I can see converting M shots in B & W. I like the prospect of a dedicated camera for the task thats very good at it. The likelihood is I will keep it rather than sell it when the M comes.

Would I really be selling it at a big loss if I did change my mind about keeping it? My question was in part, "what is the guestimated going rate for one"?

Kind regards,

Justin

Sounds like you won't be selling it ;)
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would take a pass on this one for several reasons.

You are paying almost new, why not search around and get a new one? In the days of mechanical cameras I would take greater chances but not with electronic cameras. I would ask who the owner was and why it was traded. Of course they can tell you anything but it might open the door to the history of the camera for a more informed decision. A used camera with a warranty is nice, but a new camera with full warranty is nicer.

Second, the new M might satisfy your desire for a B/W camera as the latest reports are very positive about this. If the B/W output meets your demands you will have faster electronics, a larger screen, the potential for more accurate focusing, and a color camera thrown in for free.

I recently had a chance to use the Monochrom and must admit it is addicting and the files are gorgeous. I am giving it much thought but unlike many Leica acquisitions the impulse has been thwarted.

Given all that, buying anything Leica is very special. Good luck.