Sign in to follow this  
Coach Rosie

Leica Filters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, guys.

Just wondering about everybody's opinion regarding Leica filters.

Are they really worth it? How about other brands - Heliopan? Hoya? Others?

Thanks.

Rosie

As I understand it, Leica branded filters are made by B&W.

The other brands you mention are just as good IMHO. Multicoated filters are best if you use them regularly or for protection.

Leica filters are made by B+W as the above post stated. the most reassuring brands are of course Leica and B+W, but i have never heard anyone complain about other brand's uv filters. If you can justify for the price of Leica, get it; else, get a B+W or heliopan or rodenstock or any brand you wish.

I like the Cokin filters, I can use the A system on my R and Bronica, and a couple of other cameras I use, but it's not really suitable for the M.

Cokin are releasing some new screw thread filters too.

I use Cokin mainly on Nikon, but also on the 15mm Heliar, although with such a wide angle I usually use Wratten gelatins rather than the cokin filters. I have had one or two Cokin 52mm screw in filters on Nikon lenses for 20 years plus, they seem no different to Hoya.

Gerry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to reinforce what others have said, if you are going to put a filter on an expensive piece of Leica glass, do not do so with a cheeeep inexpensive filter. I will not name names. Think if it as puting cheap tires on your Porsche.

Good filters are B+W and Heliopan. Furthermore, all filters branded with a camera maker's name are good—Leica, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, etc ... these don't make their own filters but they put their own names only on the best.

Stay away from Tiffen.

Good filters are B+W and Heliopan. Furthermore, all filters branded with a camera maker's name are good—Leica, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, etc ... these don't make their own filters but they put their own names only on the best.

Stay away from Tiffen.

I only have Leica & B+W filters, but what's the problem with Tiffen?

Use only B+W, Heliopan, or other filters made of brass. The screw-in threads of brass filters have much less propensity for becoming jammed into the threads of a lens. Non-brass filters can very easily become jammed on, and can then be exceedingly difficult to remove from a lens.

I thought it was Marumi, Leica explicitely denied they bought their UV/IR filters from Hoya. Hoya do supply glass blanks to Leica for some of their lenses though.

Leica's "home"supplier for optical glass and filters is Schott, however.

Edited by jaapv

Thoughts on Hoya?

Hoya offers filters in several product lines. The cheaper ones are crap. The top line is on par with B+W and Heliopan.

Except the top-line Hoya filters are not made of brass and can become easily stuck in the threads of a lens and exceedingly difficult to remove. Sometimes, even, extraordinary efforts and special tools are required.

Edited by kcnarf
Correction

Except the top-line Hoya filters are not made of brass and can become easily stuck in the threads of a lens and exceedingly difficult to remove.

As far as I know, the top-line Hoya filters are made of brass—or at least they used to be the last time I checked (years ago). If the current ones really aren't then they are not top-line.

The cheaper ones have good glass but aluminum rings which will get stuck easily. The cheapest have plastic rings and poor glass.