Leica Red Dot

carstenw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

you probably wont laugh about this like i did, but i heard Hyundai are using a colour just like it

is possible, and maybe they have even PAID for this... Acer makes a laptop in Red Ferrari, pays a royalty... Vodafone sells a phone in Red Ferrari, pays a royalty... I know well, for job reasons, those people, and are very smart to protect their "trademarks"... lot of the energy they are investing in China is related not only to sell cars, but also to put under control the biz od red t-shirts, caps, flags, toys... it's a strange buisiness.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is possible, and maybe they have even PAID for this... Acer makes a laptop in Red Ferrari, pays a royalty... Vodafone sells a phone in Red Ferrari, pays a royalty... I know well, for job reasons, those people, and are very smart to protect their "trademarks"... lot of the energy they are investing in China is related not only to sell cars, but also to put under control the biz od red t-shirts, caps, flags, toys... it's a strange buisiness.

I did some work for Black and Decker's DeWalt Power Tools division, and they were absolutely fanatical about the color accuracy of their yellow logo and tools. They consider it to be a very important part of their marketing.

Carsten, travel carefully in the grease mud.

However, I really liked the black dot on my LHSA M6 TTL and will probably do the same on my M8. In a world where brand identification is everything, there is nothing subtle about the Leica red dot. Kinda like a Ferrari F1 on a straight. It just screams at you.

I did some work for Black and Decker's DeWalt Power Tools division, and they were absolutely fanatical about the color accuracy of their yellow logo and tools. They consider it to be a very important part of their marketing.

Bill, it's amazing what tool companies will do to protect their corporate identity. DeWalt, Bosch Power Tools, Porter-Cable and Makita have all successfully sued other tool companies -- primarily brands made in China -- that have used their colors on knock-off tools.

Larry

Bill, it's amazing what tool companies will do to protect their corporate identity. DeWalt, Bosch Power Tools, Porter-Cable and Makita have all successfully sued other tool companies -- primarily brands made in China -- that have used their colors on knock-off tools.

Larry

Its not just tool companies. Most companies are very protective over their brand identity - trademarks, logo's and colours. They spend huge sums on advertising and merchandising so why should someone else produce a cheap imitation and trade off their reputation? Some people will also buy the cheap imitation on the assumption that they are buying the premium product. It's actually illegal, I think the legal terms is 'passing off'.

I used to work in the products division of a large motoring organisation, we also had to ensure any products were made to the exact colour specification. Apart from anything else it would look very shoddy if you had a range of products on display and all were slightly different shades of the same colour.

Wow, this thread is turning into a brand-identification thread. If I could choose, maybe a Porsche Arctic Silver Leica dot with black letters.

Anyway, I did the unthinkable: I adjusted the last rangefinder adjustment, with the camera still under warranty. I pushed the wheel back, and held it while I loosened the screw with a watch-maker-style thin, sharp screwdriver, and then turned the little tab clockwise (looking straight at it from below). About three nudges was all it took. I didn't tighten the screw in between, but I had to fiddle with the infinity wheel from time to time. Then I finally tightened the screw, after checking both the 75 Lux and 35 Cron Asph on various objects at various distances.

Now it focuses well at distances from the near limit to the far limit (a star in the sky). The only minor niggle is that the 75 Lux at f/2.8 seems not to focus quite right at a distance of about 2-3m. That may be crucial for portraits, so I will keep my eye on it to make sure that it doesn't happen in other situations. At f/1.4 it seems okay, so maybe it is focus drift, and I will just have to nudge the focus a little closer when taking portraits at f/2.8. Maybe I just need to practice with the lens.

So I have adjusted all three rangefinder adjustments using tools that you can find in any geek home, and lived to tell the tale. I never would have thought that I would have attempted this, never mind pulled it off, but there you go. It is possible, with patience and care. I do think I need a better tool for loosening the near-far lock screw though.

But my camera focuses, and it is the only chrome M8 with a black dot I have seen or heard of, so I am well pleased. I showed it to the guys in the Leica Berlin store, and they liked it better than the stock chrome M8, as do I.

Now I need to take more pictures :)

Carsten,

Your black dot does look very cool. Maybe Leica could include a variety of different colored dots with the purchase of an M8 so the owner could customize to suit his or her taste -- much like the interchangeable front panels on a dishwasher. ;-)

Larry

I haven't seen silver dots to match the chrome bodies, but there are dots for the titanium bodies.

Anyway, the main point was to get that bright red foglight dot off the front of the camera. The fact that the replacement looks cool is nice, but wasn't the purpose. And my focusing is fixed, yay! Now I can swear at the lenses when my focusing is off, like all the cool guys and gals :)

Because if I had attacked it with a screwdriver to pull off the Leica red dot, each time I had slipped I would have caused damage. The matches could slip as often as they wanted to, and they did, but it never made the slightest mark. I was not using the fire end, btw :)

Do it your self, out of a red one. ;) ;)

summilux.net - Customiser la pastille rouge d'un M

Philippe,

I am trying to post my M8 picture to that thread, but my French is a bit rusty, and it seems to be telling me that only members of the group may post there. I have subscribed and had this confirmed, and I am logged in. How do I join the necessary group?