Testing the M(240)

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I add my thanks and appreciation to everyone else's Jono. My camera is on order

But then you had me at :

"These changes answer almost all the relevant criticisms of the M9 as a digital rangefinder camera. . . without taking anything away." :D

• Like 1

Hi there Rick

Thank you so much for looking so hard!

I did try to make the snaps varied and relevant

You asked some questions:

"They're all plebs"

Not set up (but I'm sure you knew that). We were talking to her about the village, and she got up to leave and said; referring to the villagers. "They're all plebs"

Skipping along is serendipity. I just liked it, and I thought it was in the spirit of the M to post something which wasn't technically so good.

Leaving with your hat on was indeed hand held.

Jono, I don't know if you feel this way or not but, these photographs seem to be on another level. There were so many more that I didn't even mention.

I think it was just better quality control. I really tried and made a series of cuts to try only to leave the good ones.

Two questions if, you don't mind: Do you believe that the M is making you a better photographer? Maybe it is the live view is helping you see the photo better.

No idea. I think it's just that I'm getting grumpy and more critical in my old age. Taking more pictures of people maybe. Throwing more away? Not the live view at least.

Maybe I'm trying harder after a bit of a slapping :)

, I noted that a lot of your shots were with the 50 APO. What do you think of this lens and is it a must have for you?

Thanks for everything,

Rick

That lens is causing me a lot of grief. Lots and lots! It's a loaner, and I really love it. I don't want to give it back! But I don't want to get rid of my 50 lux or Noctilux either. (And I can't afford one!)

The lens keeps surprising, but there are never nasty shocks. It's not necessary, but it sure is desirable.

Thank you so much for thinking about the shots. Made my evening!

• Like 2

HI There

I did too - and have as well. In my experience this sort of shooting is reasonably 'considered', and I've found it fine for shooting deer and dogs - I'm sure that birds would also be fine - as long as they aren't flying!

We shall see.

I'm considering the question of latency carefully, in terms of critter photography with R lenses. And people photography with R lenses. Here are some issues that worry me:

- photographing fast moving animals or twitchy birds up close is already hard enough. Sometimes I have a second to finalise composition and focus and then take the shot. It can be much harder than soccer action photography. Razor sharp response from the shutter button helps a lot. If the EVF image is delayed and then there's a delay after pressing the shutter button, well, I just don't see how this can work. Sure, if the critters are standing still beautiful images will result. Deep frustration would result from getting lots of pics of birds with blurred heads or bodies, or just their feet in the image as they fly away. "Hey, it was there when I pressed the button!"

- nature photography often involves using long lenses. If the EVF or live view image suffers from tearing as the composition is rapidly adjusted to keep up with the moving critter, ... that's not going to be pleasant to look at for hours on end. Hmmm....

- animals can be spooked very easily, especially when they come up close to the photographer who might be in a hide or wearing camouflage. Having a shutter response time that is quicker than the flinch or flight reflex of the animal is definitely important. I worry that the M240's response time with R lenses will mean that many shots will catch the animal as it flinches or moves away. Sure, artistic blur can be nice, but not with every shot.

- the same 'flinch' problem occurs with people. We've all seen how our subjects flinch or blink when they hear the shutter. They're expecting a flash, which they don't like. Usually, with an M(old) or R, the picture is taken before the flinch. What will we see with the M(240) and R lenses, with the shutter release delay? If I was doing six hundred sports portraits in a day with my new M(240) and my old APO-Macro-Elmarit R 100/2.8 and half of them had eye flinches or blinks because of the delay, ... oh boy, what a problem. And, we wouldn't see the blink during the shot! I can usually pick blinks with an R8/DMR and definitely with an M9.

I think my predictions are on-the-ball here but am keen to be proven wrong. So do tell if your real experience (with a 240 or other EVF/mechanical shutter camera) shows my concerns are unfounded.

Do we know why the modular lenses are not included in the 240's R lens coding?

Regards, Rick.

Edited by rick_dykstra

I think my predictions are on-the-ball here but am keen to be proven wrong. So do tell if your real experience (with a 240 or other EVF/mechanical shutter camera) shows my concerns are unfounded.

Hi There Rick

You are on the ball - the EVF/live view with longer lenses is not fast enough to deal with moving subjects (just as LV isn't fast enough with many dSLR cameras).

If you aren't using long lenses, then you're better off using M lenses and the rangefinder.

For macro and R lenses I've not found a problem (I've been using theR60 rather than the 100)

I'm considering the question of latency carefully, in terms of critter photography with R lenses. And people photography with R lenses. Here are some issues that worry me:

- photographing fast moving animals or twitchy birds up close is already hard enough. Sometimes I have a second to finalise composition and focus and then take the shot. It can be much harder than soccer action photography. Razor sharp response from the shutter button helps a lot. If the EVF image is delayed and then there's a delay after pressing the shutter button, well, I just don't see how this can work. Sure, if the critters are standing still beautiful images will result. Deep frustration would result from getting lots of pics of birds with blurred heads or bodies, or just their feet in the image as they fly away. "Hey, it was there when I pressed the button!"

- nature photography often involves using long lenses. If the EVF or live view image suffers from tearing as the composition is rapidly adjusted to keep up with the moving critter, ... that's not going to be pleasant to look at for hours on end. Hmmm....

- animals can be spooked very easily, especially when they come up close to the photographer who might be in a hide or wearing camouflage. Having a shutter response time that is quicker than the flinch or flight reflex of the animal is definitely important. I worry that the M240's response time with R lenses will mean that many shots will catch the animal as it flinches or moves away. Sure, artistic blur can be nice, but not with every shot.

- the same 'flinch' problem occurs with people. We've all seen how our subjects flinch or blink when they hear the shutter. They're expecting a flash, which they don't like. Usually, with an M(old) or R, the picture is taken before the flinch. What will we see with the M(240) and R lenses, with the shutter release delay? If I was doing six hundred sports portraits in a day with my new M(240) and my old APO-Macro-Elmarit R 100/2.8 and half of them had eye flinches or blinks because of the delay, ... oh boy, what a problem. And, we wouldn't see the blink during the shot! I can usually pick blinks with an R8/DMR and definitely with an M9.

Do we know why the modular lenses are not included in the 240's R lens coding?

Regards, Rick.

Exactly my worry. Not so much shutter lag, many cameras have that and one learns to anticipate quite easily.But tearing and latency can be a real problem. :(. On the other hand I managed quite well with the Visoflex III and this cannot but be a vast improvement.