Testing the M(240)

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Jono. Thanks for this I think you've answered some pressing questions, notably about dynamic range, ISO and for me mostly - performance speed...

Hypothetically, if you were in my shoes, and was about to take the plunge on an M-E (knowing the M9 camera inside out), would your experience with the M(240) stop you from doing this, and waiting for the new body to become available??

I now rent the M9-P for all my editorial jobs, but miss owning it so much I didn't want towait for the new body.

In summary... Are the improvements really worth the wait!?

Simon

http://www.simonlipman.co.uk

That sucks, my R-M adapter brings 50/75mm framelines, and many others I think.

6 bit coding pits are easy to do but modification to M flange to allow 28/90 framelines instead of 50/75mm is not possible only 35/135mm - please tell me i am wrong.

No, you're right.

Same here. My Minolta SR to Leica M adapter also brings up the 50/75 frameline pair. So, no 6-bit code possible. Too bad :(

HI Guys

I feel your pain - I also have some adapters which bring up the wrong frame lines.

I tried really really hard with this one: so that the coding would work with all three sets of frame lines - the trouble is the limited number of 6 bit codes, and blocking 3 was a step too far. Added to which all the other codes work as a coupling with the frameline set. Leica also thought hard about it - it wasn't dismissed out of hand at all.

I guess that there are several answers - the first one is that there will shortly be a flush of new 3rd party adapters with the correct 28/90 framelines.

I think that Malcolm Taylor in the UK can change them (I've seen it done) but whether it'll be cheap or quick I don't know.

all the best

Hi Jono. Thanks for this I think you've answered some pressing questions, notably about dynamic range, ISO and for me mostly - performance speed...

Hypothetically, if you were in my shoes, and was about to take the plunge on an M-E (knowing the M9 camera inside out), would your experience with the M(240) stop you from doing this, and waiting for the new body to become available??

I now rent the M9-P for all my editorial jobs, but miss owning it so much I didn't want towait for the new body.

In summary... Are the improvements really worth the wait!?

Simon

Simon Lipman

Hi Simon

Yes - to my mind absolutely - wait. I think the IQ differences are going to remain a matter of opinion (I like the M better for what I do). The differences in the ergonomics and operation, the quieter shutter, the weather sealing etc. etc. are radical improvements.

all the best

No, you're right.

Same here. My Minolta SR to Leica M adapter also brings up the 50/75 frameline pair. So, no 6-bit code possible. Too bad :(

Choice of 28/90 frame line pair on new R-M adapter was very cunning but we sussed you out Mr Leica. It is steeply priced accessory with or without tripod foot which is not even Arca style but plain 1/4" bush.

Hopefully we shall see some competitively priced alternatives soon.

Choice of 28/90 frame line pair on new R-M adapter was very cunning but we sussed you out Mr Leica. It is steeply priced accessory with or without tripod foot which is not even Arca style but plain 1/4" bush.

Hopefully we shall see some competitively priced alternatives soon.

I really think you're wrong here - they aren't against others making adapters - it's slightly different sacrificing 'valuable' 6 bit slots to help other people. Even this was thoroughly discussed, but I think it meant quite a change (and I don't think it had occurred to anyone until I pointed it out).

On the other hand - I'm sure - the existing adapters from Novoflex etc. will probably be changed, and there will be a slew of cheap ones appearing, all of which will bring up the correct framelines (probably with coding slots too).

Can someboty point out benefits of M's weather sealing as all the M lenses are not sealed?

It means you can take your leica out in the rain now and wonder if the lens will be ruined vs wondering if the body and lens are ruined.

Either way who is going to take their little brass baby out in the rain? Not me!

• Like 1

Under the rain? Sure, I did with my M8 and do with the M9. As long as it's not pouring rain, it is quite ok. I used them for months in the french guiana rain forest and antarctica. Rain, snow, heat, cold. Never had a problem.

These are tools to be used, not delicate objects to be shown in controled temperature and hygrometry.

cdh

Can someboty point out benefits of M's weather sealing as all the M lenses are not sealed?

Well. I've taken Leica's M camera out in the pouring rain :). Basically the lenses are pretty well sealed, and as they have no electronics in them, if they get wet, you dry them out! (Rather like me)

The sealed body stops the rain getting to the electrics and ruining the body.

Well Worth While.

The sealed body stops the rain getting to the electrics and ruining the body.

Does this mean that there's a rubber on the camera mount?

What scares me the most is the idea of light rain and a leakage through the camera mount. Among other possible scenarios this one is why I mentioned that lenses are not sealed.

But as already mentioned I'll surely avoid using it on heavy rain.

I really think you're wrong here - they aren't against others making adapters - it's slightly different sacrificing 'valuable' 6 bit slots to help other people. Even this was thoroughly discussed, but I think it meant quite a change (and I don't think it had occurred to anyone until I pointed it out).

On the other hand - I'm sure - the existing adapters from Novoflex etc. will probably be changed, and there will be a slew of cheap ones appearing, all of which will bring up the correct framelines (probably with coding slots too).

I should be simple firmware fix to enable access to R menu regardless of the adapter.

Coming from Nikon D700; all recent chipped lenses are automatically recognised to aid matrix metering & EXIF, this is equivalent tot 6 bit coding, in addition up to nine lenses can be manually inputted by FL & F stop - choices are limited on Nikkor range.

If Leica is keen to accommodate please mention this & prove me wrong.

Under the rain? Sure' date=' I did with my M8 and do with the M9. As long as it's not pouring rain, it is quite ok. I used them for months in the french guiana rain forest and antarctica. Rain, snow, heat, cold. Never had a problem.

These are tools to be used, not delicate objects to be shown in controled temperature and hygrometry.

cdh[/quote']

Well how are you going to keep it scratch free and pretty?!?!

I'd bet you remove the sticker on the baseplate too! :eek:

• Like 1

It means you can take your leica out in the rain now and wonder if the lens will be ruined vs wondering if the body and lens are ruined.

Either way who is going to take their little brass baby out in the rain? Not me!

I've always taken them out in all weather. I hope the sealing will stop the viewfinder fogging up.

• Like 1

Does this mean that there's a rubber on the camera mount?

Not now, but the design would seem to allow for it later if necessary. Stefan Daniel claims it's not necessary given the current configuration; we'll see. I'm sure Sean Reid, a long time advocate for digital M weather sealing, will put it though its paces in his forthcoming field tests.

Jeff

... the trouble is the limited number of 6-bit codes, and blocking three was a step too far. Added to which all the other codes work as a coupling with the frameline set. Leica also thought hard about it—it wasn't dismissed out of hand at all.

I entirely understand the 'blocking three slots' issue ... but why on Earth must they use the 28/90 pair, of all frames? If a 3rd-party adapter is wrong then there won't be any way to make it right. If they had chosen the 35/135 frames (i. e. slot 55-2 rather than 55-1) then it would be a piece of cake to make wrong adapters right.

I can't help it but it does look like an attempt to make life harder for those who don't have the original Leica adapter :(

I guess that there are several answers—the first one is that there will shortly be a flush of new 3rd-party adapters with the correct 28/90 framelines.

Yeah, that's what I'd expect, too. But I already have my adapter—and it wasn't cheap (not quite as expensive as the Leica R-Adapter M ... but still) :(

It should be simple firmware fix to enable access to R menu regardless of the adapter.

All of the codes rely on both the Framelines setting AND the 6 bit code.

You would need to change the code for this for the exception. In my experience changing rules in core coding is neither simple, nor quick. And in this instance costs money without increasing revenue.

Coming from Nikon D700; all recent chipped lenses are automatically recognised to aid matrix metering & EXIF, this is equivalent tot 6 bit coding, in addition up to nine lenses can be manually inputted by FL & F stop - choices are limited on Nikkor range.

If Leica is keen to accommodate please mention this & prove me wrong.

For Nikon this is to help users with Nikon lenses. Clearly a benefit for Nikon

I really talked to them a lot about this, because I absolutely anticipated this conversation. Mention would be the understatement of the decade!

BUT.

Expecting someone to spend development money accommodating third parties which will provide no benefit. Well if this were the only such issue. But of course it isn't.