Reid Reviews M, M9 and Monochrom Files Compared

MarkP

Dewbell, like you say:

"1.5 stops [...increase in ISO...]? Oh."

Well, Sean estimates 1.5 stop better performance, but you have to read the review to understand what he means by that and the overall ISO performance of the camera. It will still produce usable files under decent lighting up to 6400 which is more than 2 stops higher than the M9's highest ISO. But, according to Sean, Leica is calling ISOs greater than 3200 'Push' ISOs which can look pretty rough under certain difficult lighting. My take is that I can at least have a shot at getting images when needing to use ISOs greater than 2500 and as with any digital camera I have used, the better the light the better the performance at higher ISO's.

Well, Sean estimates 1.5 stop better performance, but you have to read the review to understand what he means by that and the overall ISO performance of the camera. It will still produce usable files under decent lighting up to 6400 which is more than 2 stops higher than the M9's highest ISO. But, according to Sean, Leica is calling ISOs greater than 3200 'Push' ISOs which can look pretty rough under certain difficult lighting. My take is that I can at least have a shot at getting images when needing to use ISOs greater than 2500 and as with any digital camera I have used, the better the light the better the performance at higher ISO's.

Personally I've found 6400 very useable in lots of situations,especially if you expose properly. Much better than 2500 in the M9 USUALLY. The trouble is that there is an occasional occurrence of banding. Which is why Leica have cautiously called it "push".

all the best

• Like 2

Even as a subscriber you unfortunately can't read Sean's site without a flash player. That means IOS devices like iPad are out, which is too bad. I would love for Sean to update that site and/or release an IOS app. I'd be willing to pay for IOS access.

• Like 13

I like Sean's reveiws but I subscribed, read most and I am not prepared to pay handsomely for one more interesting review as my 12m ran out some time ago.

I happily paid for most of the LuLa vidoes but poor organised flash reviews without the option to continue your licence for a small fee is archaic :cool:

Even as a subscriber you unfortunately can't read Sean's site without a flash player. That means IOS devices like iPad are out, which is too bad. I would love for Sean to update that site and/or release an IOS app. I'd be willing to pay for IOS access.

Sean has the best review content on the web--but the worst website design.

• Like 5

I have read Sean's excellent review but I differ a little in the conclusion. To get the M240 files to look nearly as sharp as the M9 files he had to downsize them. Binning and downsizing as techniques to reduce noise and improve the image are known techniques but one doesn't generally buy a camera and sensor with more megapixels in order to have to down size the files to improve the image. Maybe on occasion one might but most photographers want the extra pixels they are paying for to obtain maximum detail and enlargement or cropping ability. In every case at all but the highest ISOs the M9 images looked better to me than the M240 images side by side.

I have read Sean's excellent review but I differ a little in the conclusion. To get the M240 files to look nearly as sharp as the M9 files he had to downsize them. Binning and downsizing as techniques to reduce noise and improve the image are known techniques but one doesn't generally buy a camera and sensor with more megapixels in order to have to down size the files to improve the image. Maybe on occasion one might but most photographers want the extra pixels they are paying for to obtain maximum detail and enlargement or cropping ability. In every case at all but the highest ISOs the M9 images looked better to me than the M240 images side by side.

I'd agree. The reviews have made me realize just how good the M9 is! (And the Monochrom is still king of B&W!)

I have read Sean's excellent review but I differ a little in the conclusion. To get the M240 files to look nearly as sharp as the M9 files he had to downsize them. Binning and downsizing as techniques to reduce noise and improve the image are known techniques but one doesn't generally buy a camera and sensor with more megapixels in order to have to down size the files to improve the image. Maybe on occasion one might but most photographers want the extra pixels they are paying for to obtain maximum detail and enlargement or cropping ability..

Hi John

Sean isn't suggesting you downsize the images - what he's saying is that's the fair way to compare the sharpness (due the the lenses and MTF).

Basically, if you look at them at 100% at full resolution, then the M file is showing you a smaller proportion of the image than the M9 file.

. . . . and that's the point - it's the only fair way to compare a 24mp camera with an 18mp (or I guess you could upsize the 18mp if you really wanted).

• Like 8

Personally I've found 6400 very useable in lots of situations,especially if you expose properly. Much better than 2500 in the M9 USUALLY. The trouble is that there is an occasional occurrence of banding. Which is why Leica have cautiously called it "push".

all the best

I'd second this. I'm not sure if the final calibration of the sensor + final software will reduce the risk of slight banding - but quite frankly, in the print (and IMHO this is where it matters) this has no impact. Of course, you can demonstrate that this banding is there by pushing exposure three or four stops - but then you've also got a very badly exposed image!

When I've got my Ms I'll have no qualms using 6400 (apart from making sure that I've exposed correctly for the scene...)

• Like 4