R - Macro

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't got either the 100/2.8 or the 60 macro-elmarit. Many years ago, I bought a Tamron AD2 90/2.5 SP lens, and subsequently bought a Leica R mount. I pulled it out of the closet last night and gave it a whirl with my DMR. I have posted this in the Nature and Wildlife section.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/277102-swirling-petals.html

My apologies for not attaching the photo directly, but I'm doing this on my MacBook Air at work.

Best wishes

Charlie

Your photos are the first I've seen of the 11270 version and I have no idea of its scarcity. Maybe your lens has the same type of deep rear lens cap as used on the 1.4x APO Extender R?

If your lens does not have an extendable hood ....

Regards

dunk

I'm wrong about the 1.4x APO Extender ... it has the extended FRONT cap ... the rear cap is the same as any other R lens (apart from your 11270 100/4 Macro Elmar Bellows Lens )

Apologies

dunk

The 11270 model is mentioned in The Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition but without any description apart from mentioning the E55 filter thread. However, the first model 11230 was available initially with a Series 7 thread and later with a 55mm thread - so there are in fact THREE versions of the 100/4 Macro Elmar Bellows lens and not just two as stated in TLPB 8th Edition. Maybe Messrs Nobby Clark and Brian Bower will take note for the 9th Edition ... quite a task to make sure all variants of every Leitz/Leica lens are documented in the book.

Regards

dunk

Correction to my previous post regarding the Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f4 lens:

The Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition does mention TWO versions of the 100/4 bellows lens ie 11230 and 11270 and mentions their respective weights ie 365 g and 'second version 290g' ... The weight reduction of 175g must be due in part to no lens hood being present on the 11270 version. The only 100/4 lens illustration in the book is for the regular version with focusing mount ie model ref. 11232 weighing 540g

Thus there are actually 5 versions of the lens:

11232 weight 540g with focusing mount dating from 1978:

(a) Series 7 filter

(B) 55mm filter thread

11230 weight 365g first version bellows lens dating from 1968 with double telescopic hood:

(a) Series 7 filter

(B) 55mm filter thread

11270 weight 290g - lightweight compact second version bellows lens produced in 1992 without telescopic hood and with extended rear mount:

55mm filter thread.

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 2

• 7 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I just bought that same late version 11270 macro-elmar and the information provided here by Dunk was extremely helpful. Looking at the serial numbers in the database it seems only 250 lenses of this version were produced, so quite rare:

3596460    3596709    100mm f/4 Macro-Elmar-R (bellows)    1992    250

4 hours ago, tobiasfjp said:

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I just bought that same late version 11270 macro-elmar and the information provided here by Dunk was extremely helpful. Looking at the serial numbers in the database it seems only 250 lenses of this version were produced, so quite rare:

Rate but inferior to its successor? Sounds like a collector’s speciality. 

10 hours ago, james.liam said:

Can others be used on a bellows? Like the 100 Makro APO?

James, 

I believe they can. The 16860 universal Bellows-R, where I have just bought one in the UK, says it can be used with 60mm, 90mm 100mm, 135mm lenses and the 100/4 Macro Elmar head . When it arrives in the next few days, I am hoping that one of my old Visoflex 1 twin releases will work with it. I have both varieties of these for use on LTM cameras with a sleeve shutter release fitting and the one with two tapered thread couplings for use on M cameras. I will report further once I have it to hand. My 100mm/2.8 APO Macro-Elmarit-R seems to have stuck somewhere between New Zealand and the UK, I assume due to Covid-19 flight reductions. I just hope it doesn't disappear. 

Wilson

PS Correction - my memory was faulty (what a surprise) and neither of the Visoflex 1 twin releases will work with the R auto bellows. The M camera version has a sleeve fitting for the Visoflex 1 mirror lift and a tapered thread for the camera. The LTM camera version has two sleeve fittings.

I was about to search for a Leica 16494 twin release on Fleabay, when a dim light bulb lit up in my brain. I remembered that when I sold off all my Contax film equipment both SLR and Rangefinder (other than my father's RF model IIA colour dial, with its 50/1.5 Opton Sonnar) in the mid 2000's, the one item that did not sell, was a brand new Contax CX/Y auto diaphragm bellows, that I picked up for next to nothing, when Contax UK shut down and sold off all their stock to dealers and their beta testers at give away prices. I had never really looked in the bellows box but I wondered as an auto bellows, if it might have a dual cable release. I went and and got it down from my attic and looked. To my delight, there in the box, is a beautifully made sequential dual cable release, with two tapered thread couplings - what luck! W

Edited by wlaidlaw

vor 20 Stunden schrieb tobiasfjp:

The reason why the 11 270 version was produced is that the newer Focusing Bellows-R BR2 (16 880) made by Novoflex has a different bellows extension range (54 - 164 mm) than the older  Focusing Bellows-R 16 860  (42 - 142 mm). Therefore, Leica redesigned the Macro-Elmar-R 100 f/4 lens barrel to accommodate the new bellows. At this point, they also changed the filter size from Series VII to E55. The newer 16 880 bellows has a compendium so that the the hood was omitted from the lens. In addition, they added the third cam to the lens so that aperture priority exposure works with aperture open with 11 270 + 16 880. If one wants the lens to focus from infinity to 1:1 reproduction ratio, 11 270 must be used with the 16 880 bellows and 11 230 with the 16 860 bellows.  On 16 880, the 11 230 does not focus to infinity and reaches a little bit bigger than 1:1 reproduction ratio while on 16 860 the 11 270 version goes well beyond infinity and does not reach the 1:1 ratio. I have attached a few pictures to illustrate all of this. 

I hope this a little bit tangled explanation is helpful.   - Matti

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Matti, 

Do you know if there is any restriction on using the earlier 16860 Bellows with ROM lenses like there is for Leicaflex and SL series cameras? The 100/2.8 APO Macro-Elmarit I have bought is the ROM version.

Wilson

vor 1 Stunde schrieb wlaidlaw:

Matti, 

Do you know if there is any restriction on using the earlier 16860 Bellows with ROM lenses like there is for Leicaflex and SL series cameras? The 100/2.8 APO Macro-Elmarit I have bought is the ROM version.

Wilson

Wilson,

I just checked. The ROM lenses (and I suppose the R-cam-only lenses) do not physically fit the 16 860. I would guess the 1, 2, and 3 cam lenses would fit it but I do not have one at hand to check. The ROM lenses fit the 16 880 without trouble.

- Matti

vor 2 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

Matti, 

Wilson

Another note: The recommended way to get closer (up to 1.1:1) with the APO Macro-Elmarit 100/2.8 is to use the Elpro 16 545, This is because the two backmost elements of the lens stay in place when focusing while the remaining six move. Therefore, the quality is compromised if the whole lens is moved for close focusing. I have also used the Apo-Extender 2x with it to be able to cover a small area from a larger distance. 

23 minutes ago, msh58 said:

Another note: The recommended way to get closer (up to 1.1:1) with the APO Macro-Elmarit 100/2.8 is to use the Elpro 16 545, This is because the two backmost elements of the lens stay in place when focusing while the remaining six move. Therefore, the quality is compromised if the whole lens is moved for close focusing. I have also used the Apo-Extender 2x with it to be able to cover a small area from a larger distance. 

I have bought the ELPRO with the 100 APO Macro. I will see if I can cancel the purchase of the 16860. Thanks for the heads-up. 

Wilson

There seem to be lots of Novoflex R Bellows for sale but I think this is the older type for R3 cameras and non-ROM lenses. There don't seem to be any of the later 16880 bellows for sale, which I assume would have the Leica logo rather than Novoflex, in spite of the manufacture. 

Wilson

54 minutes ago, msh58 said:

I have also used the Apo-Extender 2x with it to be able to cover a small area from a larger distance. 

I believe the APO-Extender 2x also gives the 100-APO-Macro the ability to shoot at 1:1, making it a far more versatile accessory for the 100-APO than the useable on the 100-APO-only Elpro close-up attachment.

• Thanks 1

vor 48 Minuten schrieb wlaidlaw:

There seem to be lots of Novoflex R Bellows for sale but I think this is the older type for R3 cameras and non-ROM lenses. There don't seem to be any of the later 16880 bellows for sale, which I assume would have the Leica logo rather than Novoflex, in spite of the manufacture. 

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

The 16 880 does not have ROM contacts either, it just accommodates the ROM and R-cam-only lenses. The Novoflex bellows in your picture looks very much like the 16 880, also made by Novoflex.

• Thanks 1

vor 33 Minuten schrieb AZN:

I believe the APO-Extender 2x also gives the 100-APO-Macro the ability to shoot at 1:1, making it a far more versatile accessory for the 100-APO than the useable on the 100-APO-only Elpro close-up attachment.

The benefit of the Elpro is, though, that you do not loose two stops like with the extender 2x.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, msh58 said:

The benefit of the Elpro is, though, that you do not loose two stops like with the extender 2x.

As I already have a 2X APO extender, which I mainly use with my 80-200/f4 Vario-Elmar, so I will have both alternatives available when my 100 Macro and ELPRO finally arrives. I will check with Martin Grahl at Novoflex about the earlier bellows accommodating ROM lenses. Thanks for all the info. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Regarding the Elpro 16 545: The reason why it was designed for max. 1.1:1 magnification when used with the Apo Macro Elmarit R 100/2.8 is to enable slide copying at the 1.1:1 mag ratio … thus eliminating the original mounted slide's border. When a transparency image frame is mounted (e.g. in GePe glass mount), the resultant slide image is not 24mmx36mm … it's slightly less than 24mmx36mm ... thus needs slight enlargement to 'fill the frame' when slide copying. If using a slide copier on a bellows, the bellows extension compensates for the mounted slide's slight image crop.   

dunk

• Thanks 1