R - Macro

dennersten

I have to concur with others with "get both." They are very different lenses, albeit both with macro capabilities. I must say that the 100 with the Elpro Adapter is an aesthetic wonder. However, the 60 is stellar too, offers better depth of field, and is comparatively lighter and more compact (though still heavier than the 35-70 zoom).

Here are some images I posted previously.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/91121-b-work-dmr.html

Dean

• Like 1

Novo flex made (still does?) an excellent bellows unit, with automatic diaphragm. On that bellow, I have used the Macro-Elmarit-R, with excellent results, but also the short mount (bellows-only) Elmar 100 mm and the Elmarit-R 90 mm, also with excellent results. The Elmarit-R 90 mm also serves as a regular 90 mm lens, which is what it is!

Guy

made more tests with the Leica M9 with Leica APO Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8

I made a series of close up tests with distances below 70cm (closest distance on the scale) with the lens mounted on my Nex7 and made notes of the correct distances for the different reproduction ratios (as engraved on the lens). Then I used these values for the M9 and the focus was ok. within 2-3 shots.

focus: measure the distance and try on a macro rail

Light: indirect flash through umbrella @ f/8

WB: colorchecker

8508412434_068aa387c5_z.jpg

8507305651_5766d2ffa9_z.jpg

dierk

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A vote for the Apo 100.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

One more for the Apo.

• Like 8

Not an easy choice but, having both, for my money the 100/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R is the one I would keep if I could only keep one. The apochromatic performance added to being able to make it into a 200/5.6 APO when used with the 2x APO extender seals the deal for me.

Pete.

60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R with Sigma SD-14

100/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R with 5D MkII

• Like 12

There are also the Leitz Elpro close-up lenses to consider:

Elpro 1/VIa 2.51 diopter 399.04mm focal length ... up to 1:3.8 mag with 50mm lens

Elpro 2/VIb 4.92 diopter 203.45mm focal length ... up to 1:2.6 mag with 50mm lens

Elpro3/VIIa 1.66 diopter 602.56mm focal length ... up to 1:2.8 mag with 135mm lens

Elpro4/VIIb 0.75 diopter 1333.57mm focal length ... up to 1/3.3 mag with 180mm lens

'R' Elpros are achromatic (two elements) and can be sourced relatively easily and cheaply ... and give good results. They can also be adapted for use with the Leica X1 / X2 and can be stacked to give higher magnifications.

There are also the 2 part and 3 part ring combinations and the macro adaptor R to consider; these will enable magnifications up to life size depending on the lens used.

The new M 240 promises to be a very versatile camera when used with the R adaptor and R lenses in live view mode.

'Fill yer boots' with close up accessories while they are still relatively cheap ... and there's the bellows to consider as well.

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 1

There are also the Leitz Elpro close-up lenses to consider:

90mm Summicron-R with Elpro VIIa on K64:

• Like 5

@wildlight

That last flower just pops on my monitor! Well done.

@farnz

Perhaps a naive question, but how are you managing to get the 5D2 to focus with a R lens. Manual focus? Exposure control? Focus confirmation light?

I have an adapter EOS to R, but getting it to work is difficult for me. Any menu seeting before shooting required your end?

@farnz

Perhaps a naive question, but how are you managing to get the 5D2 to focus with a R lens. Manual focus? Exposure control? Focus confirmation light?

I have an adapter EOS to R, but getting it to work is difficult for me. Any menu seeting before shooting required your end?

Using a tripod, manual focus and LiveView, which allows you to magnify the scene by 10 times on the LCD and nail focus when the scene is magnified. I generally use it in mirror lock-up mode, 2 second delay, spot metering, aperture priority and let the shutter speed take care of itself. The cursor (square) on the LCD can be moved with the stubby joystick, which means you can meter off any part of the scene without adjusting the camera's position. (I've never had a focus confirming adaptor because I've never felt the need for one.)

Pete.

• Like 1

@wildlight

That last flower just pops on my monitor! Well done.

@farnz

Your question is not so naive , first to aim for is focussing assistance as you will need to rely on your vision. You change the screen to EGS fine grain much better detail. The best adaptor to use is Leitax its availble with a focus confirm chip glued in place. The later version of this chip can be adjusted to compensate for focus error. Alway bear in mind, focus confirm is just an aid and still check visually.

You will need to get used to it its all we haveleft to use these wonderful lenses.

Manfred

• Like 1

One more with a 100% crop from the 100/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R with 2x APO convertor on a 5D MkII.

Pete.

• Like 5

YOU CAN LOOK AT ALL THE POSTS AND THEY ALL LOOK GOOD. Look at a 24x36 print and the 100 APO outclasses them all. The 60 is quite good.

I will be ordering more Nikon conversion mounts for the 21,60, & 100 APO. The 28 and 35 are done. I am not thrilled with having to buy a new camera and bunch of overpriced accessories to use the lenses and it will be no better than a reflex camera.

90mm Summicron-R with Elpro VIIa on K64:

Doug's superb photo shows that MTF charts, e.g. that for the 90mm Summicron R in the Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition, page 112, are not the whole story as regards measurement of lens performance and picture quality. And MTF charts do not predict close-up performance.

dunk