R - Macro

dennersten

I have the 100/2.8 and it is superb. I have no direct experience of the 60, but reports are very favourable (possibly not quite as favourable as the 100, but it is available for a lot less money). Also, the 100 is perhaps a bit unwieldy as a general short telephoto (aside from macro) whereas I understand the 60 to be fine as a general standard focal length lens. Also bear in mind that to get down to 1:1, you need the dedicated ELPRO lens on the 100, whereas you can use the Macro Adapter on the 60. Personally, if deciding matters solely from the macro point of view, I would go for the 100 because you can position the camera just that bit further away from the subject, but, as I've tried to indicate, that's perhaps not the only consideration.

• Like 2

I have the 100/2.8 and it is superb. I have no direct experience of the 60, but reports are very favourable (possibly not quite as favourable as the 100, but it is available for a lot less money). Also, the 100 is perhaps a bit unwieldy as a general short telephoto (aside from macro) whereas I understand the 60 to be fine as a general standard focal length lens. Also bear in mind that to get down to 1:1, you need the dedicated ELPRO lens on the 100, whereas you can use the Macro Adapter on the 60. Personally, if deciding matters solely from the macro point of view, I would go for the 100 because you can position the camera just that bit further away from the subject, but, as I've tried to indicate, that's perhaps not the only consideration.

Great thanks! I will go out and buy just that! A new world is opening for me at spring.

/HD

• Like 1

I have the 60 Macro-Elmarit and have been extremely pleased with it. I do not have a 50mm for my D700 and use this as a "standard" lens.

There are macro shots taken with this combination and on a DMR, on my website, linked below. This one looks fantastic when viewed large

http://www.andybarton.com/Photography/PHOTOGRAPHY/Pages/Colour__Nature.html#8

• Like 4

I also have used the 60 quite a bit, and it makes a good standard lens as well, especially when hiking where you want both macro and normal. My 100 macro for R is bellows mount, and does give very nice results. On other SLRs I have both 100 and 50 macro lenses, and for macro I do like the longer working distance of the 100, so I'll carry the 100 as a short-tele/portrait lens, with a fast 50 for normal use.

I also have used the 60 quite a bit, and it makes a good standard lens as well, especially when hiking where you want both macro and normal. My 100 macro for R is bellows mount, and does give very nice results. On other SLRs I have both 100 and 50 macro lenses, and for macro I do like the longer working distance of the 100, so I'll carry the 100 as a short-tele/portrait lens, with a fast 50 for normal use.

Would that be the 100/4 short bellows mount Macro Elmar? Just in case of any confusion I was talking about my 100/2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit.

Don't forget that Leica also do a normal R mount version of the Macro Elmar-R 1:4/100 (none bellows) which gives good results and is relatively cheap pre-owned. You can also use the ELPRO f4 adaptor to get down to 1:1 if you require.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I've posted this before, but it does give some idea of what is possible with the 100/2.8. The original whole needle is (if I recall correctly) just over one inch long, with a fairly fine sewig thread through the eye.

• Like 8

I own a R Macro Elmarit 60 mm 2.8 plus the extender to achieve an enlargement size of 1:1 (without maximum is 0,5 : 1) and an additional 2ply Leica APO converter. I use these things together with my 5 D III. The first of the following pictures had been made with the 60 mm only, the second plus extender plus converter. Why I have bought the 60 mm is because I use it for table top pictures too, where 100 mm is a bit too long for me. For macro use only I would have bought the 100 mm, but probably in addition a 2ply APO converter too.

• Like 4

In same situation recently. Decided on the 100 APO thinking New M rangefinder best from 18 to 75 for me and the 100 and beyond with R lenses. That said if can get a 60 at reasonable price may do so.

Carrying an 18, MATE, 75 Cron, 100 APO and 180 with double extender gets me 1:1 and 360. Could add a 50 Lux and leave 180 home and have very wide, low light, macro and 200 in a few lenses. One reason love the prospect of the new M:)

I can also attest to the superb optical quality of the 100/2,8. I had it leitaxed on a d3x, and could see VERY fine detail that I couldn't perceive with my naked eye alone! Subject reproduction is very accurate indeed, IMHO. It was this lens which made me into a leica convert. I'd previously owned a nikon 105/2.8, and the difference was like night and day.......

Edited by andyedward

I have both and will tell you which I prefer after getting the M-240. Correction I have 2x100's and 2xELPRO's and one 60. Wonder how that happened? Have them in Pelican cases and must not have looked in the correct one when I recently thought I needed a 100 and ELPRO.

I have one 100 extender that has f stops from f4 and up and then I see I have another extender without 100 printed on it that has f stops from f2.8 and up. And yet I have a further extender that has 60 printed on it and f stops from 2.8 and up.

If I recall someone said the f4 extender does not work on my 100/2.8. Guess they made a 100/4 earlier. Will check Wiki.

I have one 100 extender that has f stops from f4 and up and then I see I have another extender without 100 printed on it that has f stops from f2.8 and up. And yet I have a further extender that has 60 printed on it and f stops from 2.8 and up.

These are more properly known as extension tubes. The one with f/stops from 4 to 22 was made for the 100mm f/4 Macro-Elmar-R. The other two were made for the 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R. Without modification these extension tubes work with very few lenses. I have modified mine to work with most lenses.

Please post some more samples or links to samples! Thanks!

Don't blame me :D you asked for it:

Ruffed Grouse photographed with 100mm APO

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 5

Tower Creek photographed with 60mm Macro

• Like 2

Foxtail Barley photographed with 60mm Macro

• Like 7

Another vote for both the 100/2.8 AND the 60/2.8. Everyone knows the 100/2.8 is a great lens, and it truly is, but it is not that compact anymore and also quite a bit heavier than the 60. My 60/2.8 came attached to a Leicaflex SL2 I bought a few years ago, and I was interested in the body, not the lens. But boy, had I known before just how good the 60 Elmarit is, I would have bought that lens 10 years ago. Detail rendition, sharpness, contrast, color and bokeh are outstanding and in my view make that lens one of the most underestimated lenses in the Leica R lens stable.

Andy

• Like 2