Does Image Shuttle have a time lapse facility for the M240?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A question for those who have used the Image Shuttle Software on either the new M or S cameras. Does Image Shuttle have a time lapse facility? I used to enjoy using this facility on my Digilux 2 and as I have the multifunction hand grip on order, would like to be able to do this on the new M as well. I guess I will need the separate power supply as well. I am not sure why Leica could not just have put a power socket on the battery charger and sold us a lead rather than a separate power supply, which no doubt costs another arm and leg (I am running out of them).

Wilson

It's ludicrous isn't it? I expect it's just a standard Chinese power supply with a rather expensive connector on the end. That said, the peak current requirements from such a power supply are likely more than that of the charger.

Mark,

I just costed the components from my China electronic component source book (admittedly some 4 years out of date). In even quite small quantities (100-200) and over speccing it, with a 40W centre tap transformer, bridge rectifier, Panasonic caps, choke and low ripple voltage stabiliser, the total cost was $21. Of course you would need to add a case to that. Even Apple, not known for undercharging, only want £65 for their 85W power supply. This is cynical pricing from Leica.

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Be fair to Leica guys. For a lot of their German made stuff, although the prices are high, it is easy to understand the cost and perceive the value. There are high development costs to be amortised across a limited projected sale volume; the materials are expensive; the glass often exotic. The components are hand finished and the product hand assembled by costly German labour. Some items it is even rumoured, were sold at a loss, e.g. the MATE lens.

However a straightforward stabilised power supply, made from bog standard off the shelf cheap components, with zero development costs, slung together in some Chinese sweat shop is totally different (like the M9 charger - marked "made in china"). I doubt if Leica will pay more than £25 to £30 per unit, if that. If they sold it at £100, that would be a nice profit for them and although I might feel it was a bit pricy, I would not be squeaking. As it is, I don't think I will buy at £195, as I would feel totally ripped off. I will look for an alternative way to power the camera. Tim Isaacs at Match Technical, should be able to come up with something.

Wilson

I have observed that several forum members believe there is a relationship between a manufacturers cost and price amusing. Manufacturers prices reflect whatever the market will bear regardless of cost. If you owned Leica wouldn't you charge whatever price you felt maximized profits. I know that I would.

A perfect example is the Hermes Leica - do we really think it costs 10x more to produce or that a substantial amount of r&d was required to choose the colors?

I have observed that several forum members believe there is a relationship between a manufacturers cost and price amusing. Manufacturers prices reflect whatever the market will bear regardless of cost. If you owned Leica wouldn't you charge whatever price you felt maximized profits. I know that I would.

A perfect example is the Hermes Leica - do we really think it costs 10x more to produce or that a substantial amount of r&d was required to choose the colors?

I don't think you will find much disagreement. Of course Leica like any other company will profit maximize. I do think costs are relevant as they go into the equation. Prices are set at a level where volume and price produce the highest profit. That is not always the highest price because, theoretically, high prices will reduce demand (volume). That may be true of cameras but not necessarily an accessory like an AC power supply where the customer is captive. There's likely not enough volume for a third party to want to produce a clone so Leica can charge what it would like and only minimally affect volume. Nobody should be surprised at this.

I don't think any of us are surprised, it's what Leica have been doing for years but in the same way some will use the Olympus EVF because it is much cheaper, others will seek to do the same with the AC adapter.

Until we see what the specification of the adapter and connector is, it's not possible to speculate. It goes without saying that using a home-brewed alternative would void the warranty and replacing a cooked set of M240 electronics would not be the happiest day in your life.

Until we see what the specification of the adapter and connector is, it's not possible to speculate. It goes without saying that using a home-brewed alternative would void the warranty and replacing a cooked set of M240 electronics would not be the happiest day in your life.

Unfortunately that specification could include undocumented proprietary interfaces that let the camera interrogate the power supply and shut itself off if it doesn't get the correct encrypted response. This is already happening in other industries, sometimes for genuine reasons of safety or security or performance, sometimes simply to let manufacturers overcharge for spares or accessories.

I don't think the market will bear it. I personally don't think they will sell that many power supplies. If they priced them lower, they might sell quite a few.

Let me give you a parallel example. I enquired at my local Porsche dealer, how much a new DVD for my sat nav would be, as my maps dated back to 2005. For the two discs, a firmware update and new maps, the cost was around £650. I asked how many sets they had sold over the last five years and was not wholly surprised to be told "none". The maps are standard Nav-Tec, where the update and re-licence unit cost from them is around £25, according to the UK Nav-Tec agent. The cost of the two DVD's is say £2. If Porsche had charged say £200 for the update, I guess they might have sold quite a lot and made a reasonable profit. As it was, they have made no money from my dealer, which I would guess is a fair reflection of country wide sales. In the end I purchased from a UK Nav-Tec agent for £45 who copied the firmware update onto the same DVD free.

Wilson

I don't think the market will bear it. I personally don't think they will sell that many power supplies. If they priced them lower, they might sell quite a few.

Let me give you a parallel example. I enquired at my local Porsche dealer, how much a new DVD for my sat nav would be, as my maps dated back to 2005. For the two discs, a firmware update and new maps, the cost was around £650.

A few years ago I bought the equivalent discs for the Citroen C5 I had in those days. The price must have been well under £200 or I wouldn't have done it (cheaper to buy a TomTom).

• 9 months later...
So, Time Lapse, Yes or No?

Regrettably it seems not. Below is a screen shot of the camera settings page of the manual. HDR 3 or 5 shot bracketing seems the best that can be done. Strange that this is not available, when it used to be for the Digilux 2.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

It does seem an odd omission. I thought this was one of the supposed benefits of tethered shooting.

When I bought my Contax RTS2 second hand in 1985, as an additional body/upgrade to my Contax 139Q, it came from the studio of a professional photographer who had died in an accident, so I bought all his Contax kit at a probate sale. It came, amongst all the bits and pieces, with an electronic intervalometer and a 250 shot accessory back. Apparently this was a very rare accessory but never having used it (it made an already big camera absolutely huge) or the intervalometer, I sold them some years later, for considerably more than I had paid for the whole RTS2 outfit, lenses, accessories, etc.

The point I am making here is that electronic intervalometry is not exactly new or cutting edge stuff and should have been incorporated into Image Shuttle 2.2. Rather disappointing.

Wilson

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether there is third party hardware/software that would make it possible to tell an M 240, equipped with a multifunction handgrip, to make a photograph at specified intervals?

Or would this have to be accomplished manually?

Thanks