MM and Nocitilux

nicks500

Advertisement (gone after registration)

its ok I have seen the light :D I am not getting a Noctilux with my MM but a 50mm and 35mm Lux. Hopefully there will be a less steep learning curve using these two lenses as I am looking forward to a long learning curve with the MM itself

Much better decision in my opinion. I am so happy with my MM and 50 'Lux asph. Besides, the MM files at high ISO, 4000-5000 have such great character and "grain" that contribute so much to the shots. I actually prefer the high ISO look to the "digitally clean" appearance of shots at lower ISO.

The MM is really interesting with the Noctilux, but also with most other lenses that get another life with it.

I haven't been using color filters with the MM but you can see something about how the MM sees colors here, hence try to get an idea how it will affect it if you use filters.

leica.overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - Leica M Monochrom Henri Digital Rangefinder Camera - Page 21: "Three Months and 10,000 Frames With Henri"

• Like 2

its ok I have seen the light :D I am not getting a Noctilux with my MM but a 50mm and 35mm Lux. Hopefully there will be a less steep learning curve using these two lenses as I am looking forward to a long learning curve with the MM itself

Ohhhh Nooooo!!!! To say I am disappointed with this turn of events is an understatement, but you don't need to please me or anyone else here, rather it is better to make an informed decision. The Noctilux has great character, a beloved lens for this quality, the summilux' will render beautifully but doesn't have the Noctilux character. May I suggest you shoot the lenses through rental or trial period with your dealer before making any final decision.

@nicks 500

Actually the rental idea is a very good one for you to try instead of spending $9k on 2 lux's lenses, one of which you might not want to hold onto in the end. Lens Rentals I have heard about. Why not rent the Noctilux from them for a week. They even rent the MM too.

Oh, I don't know Nick. I rather liked your idea of the Monochrom with one lens, and making that a Noct would have been a very special package. I love the discipline of that set up.

Yes, the Noct goes down to 0.95, but there's this ring on the front of the lens which lets you get a portrait with more than the eyelashes in focus. You can even stop the lens down so that almost your entire image is in focus - a nice trick!

As for filters, I'm trying without for the moment, but I do have a selection. For a minimal collection, I'd take a 3 stop ND and Orange filter.

Cheers

John

Wow! That would be an awesome combo.

Initially, I wasn't interested in the MM but after reading the comments from users I wish I have an MM. I am invested in R lenses so I preordered the M240.

If I find a bag of stinking cash, I'll get a MM:D

Enjoy!

• Like 1