Leica vs the World?

Jones311

The linked article says nothing new about what are the uniqueness of Leica photography (finder, size, discreteness...) ; the declaration that M9 to MP is a common path for new Leica users is at least questionable... :o but only Leica could confirm it with some figures about MP sales after M9 intro...:cool: I admit that a photographer NEW to leica, with a significant film experience, after having worked with M9 could feel the desire to use a simlar tool with film... but I doubt it is a "common" phenomenon...

Found this interesting thread talking about the Leica M9 but cristised by non-Leica users:

Why Choose a Leica? By Jerry Bei | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

What are your thoughts? Are other cameras better?

haters will always hate. and what is better? people really tends to blend personal preference and spec together. If i thoroughly like it for all that it is and is not, then it's not going to matter if a IDX can shoot 12 fps or a D800 has 36MP, what i carry with me is the best at the moment.

Well, to be fair to the critics, the article is rather gushing and that first image is a clear example of the red edge problem, despite the lame sunrise excuse. Steve should have picked up on that as an editor. I am lucky with Dan, he alerts me when I submit a sub-par image.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Found this interesting thread talking about the Leica M9 but cristised by non-Leica users:

Welcome to the forum!

It would be interesting to read your thoughts on this topic so that Leica forum members can understand your starting point more clearly. As mentioned above, it is doubtful that many serious photographers would migrate from M9 to MP or older film M cameras unless out of curiosity or bad experiences with digital media.

The problem I have with photographers and articles like this is that it doesn't really say anything, and the photographs to back up the statements are rather ordinary by any standards. I don't see any 'decisive moment' images and the one that looks like a film image is very grainy and unremarkable, just like the rest...so what is she trying to say?..I started with digital and moved on to film...the 'shutter is quiet' ( compared to what? ) ...these images could be made with any old camera by any slightly competent photographer...this article would not sell any camera to me...or change my shooting style...:confused:

Guest malland

I agree and don't see why the OP considers the article interesting; but, hey, it generates traffic for the website, which is what professional bloggers are after. It seems that, apart from Japan where Nippon Camera and Asahi Camera provide useful reviews, there are precious few worthwhile magazine or blog camera reviews. On the other hand, one can get a lot of useful informations on forums such as LUF, although some threads require careful sifting of the posters' views.

—Mitch/Paris

Lanka Footsteps [M-Monochrom/Sri Lanka]

Not much content to be honest, I am not sure what it says that hasn't been scrutinised to a much greater extent elsewhere, like most reveiws of the M8,M9, MM for example.

I quite like the camel shot and agree with the quality of Leica. I have just mounted 2 B&W pictures in my work office, both on matt fine art textured paper and A2 in size. The quality of the images at this size are astounding (I am not laking about my photography you understand :D) in terms of resolution, tonal range and rendering.

I have yet to print larger than 17" width and have no direct comparisons with other cameras and glass printed in a similar way. However I have seen a lot of Canon/Nikon based images on screen that somehow seem to miss a little magic in their rendering.

Seeing a number of D4's, D3's and similar sized Canons being wheladed around in London at the fashion week on Monday reminded me why Leica wins my world.

Welcome to the forum!

It would be interesting to read your thoughts on this topic so that Leica forum members can understand your starting point more clearly. As mentioned above, it is doubtful that many serious photographers would migrate from M9 to MP or older film M cameras unless out of curiosity or bad experiences with digital media.

Thanks for all the clarification everyone! Nevertheless I found it was an interesting article to read and his photos shot with the Leica really intrigues someone like me who is quite new to the world of Leica.

My question is Leica really a reputable and prestige brand that generates so much hate from others? Would people be better off with a canon, Nikon or even a Sony and Leica is just a over-the-top camera that doesn't live to its standards?

It's so interesting to find so many haters against Leica...

My question is Leica really a reputable and prestige brand that generates so much hate from others?

No, certainly not in my experience, I've never actually met a 'Leica hater'. If someone really does 'hate' Leica then they have a problem - fortunately its their problem:). One thing which intrigues me from reviews like this one, is that very few reviewers actually seem to want to admit to 'enjoying' using their cameras. To me this is part of using a rangefinder - I actually enjoy doing so.....

• Like 3

The linked article says nothing new about what are the uniqueness of Leica photography (finder, size, discreteness...) ; the declaration that M9 to MP is a common path for new Leica users is at least questionable... :o but only Leica could confirm it with some figures about MP sales after M9 intro...:cool: I admit that a photographer NEW to leica, with a significant film experience, after having worked with M9 could feel the desire to use a simlar tool with film... but I doubt it is a "common" phenomenon...

Well, it is the path I took... :)

No one answered my questions.....

My thoughts are that its an unanswerable question. 'Better' for what? The Leica M is a superb camera when used within its confines of usability. Others may well be 'better' for a variety of other applications and may be 'better' for you depending on what you want to use a camera for.