Why not an “enter uncoded lens info” menu option?

Hey You

Advertisement (gone after registration)

(Please correct me if I'm wrong) : -

Leica lens 6-digit codes provide EXIF data on the lens used in an image. They also identify whether image correction is needed. Not all lenses need correction, and for these the sole purpose of the coding is to provide EXIF data.

If an uncoded lens is mounted, the only option the user has is to select a Leica-recognized lens from the menu. There is no “blank field” menu option which would permit the user to enter the name of an unsupported lens, solely for EXIF purposes.

I wonder why not. It doesn’t seem complicated.

I ask this on behalf of all the 40mm Summicron-C users. It is a Leica M-mount lens after all.

I'm starting to take this discrimination against my favourite lens personally.

• Like 2

the reason is simple and applies across the board for Leica innovation: the reason they don't have it is they didn't implement it. This means that it must be a useless undesirable function anyway. Alternatively had they implemented this would have meant that it was a valuable new addition worthy of praise and commentary. That's how the system works. :rolleyes:

Leica lens 6-digit codes provide EXIF data on the lens used in an image. They also identify whether image correction is needed. Not all lenses need correction, and for these the sole purpose of the coding is to provide EXIF data.

I would add that the Auto ISO and Slow Sync functions have a Lens Dependent option that requires the focal length in order to perform properly.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mind to elaborate on this Luke? Just curious as i use auto iso a lot with uncoded lenses and i haven't noticed any problem so far.

With both Auto ISO and Slow Sync there is the ability to set the minimum shutter speed the body will use when shooting in aperture priority. You can pick fixed values, or "Lens Dependent" in which the camera will set minimum shutter speed to the reciprocal of the lens focal length. A 90mm lens will produce a minimum shutter speed of 1/90th while a 50mm lens will be 1/60th. So for this feature to function properly the body needs to know the focal length.

If you don't use aperture priority then "Lens Dependent" is not applicable.

Correct. But back to the original post's question - why not add a feature which allows a user to create additional entries including a focal length to be used by these functions?

From a coding standpoint (I'm a software engineer), this would be simple. The only possible technical reasons for not doing it would be if the system's built in non-volatile storage and/or RAM capacity just can't handle adding the feature, which is possible, but only Leica's programmers know for sure.

With both Auto ISO and Slow Sync there is the ability to set the minimum shutter speed the body will use when shooting in aperture priority. You can pick fixed values, or "Lens Dependent" in which the camera will set minimum shutter speed to the reciprocal of the lens focal length. A 90mm lens will produce a minimum shutter speed of 1/90th while a 50mm lens will be 1/60th. So for this feature to function properly the body needs to know the focal length.

If you don't use aperture priority then "Lens Dependent" is not applicable.

If an uncoded lens is mounted, the only option the user has is to select a Leica-recognized lens from the menu. There is no “blank field” menu option which would permit the user to enter the name of an unsupported lens, solely for EXIF purposes.

I wonder why not. ...

Just consult your menu: There is an option "lens detection off" which solves all your problems. It even works with coded lenses...

Though perhaps I didn't understand the true meaning of your thread.

*sigh*

Six-bit coding is proprietary to Leica.

It was introduced after the M-mount copyright expired.

It locks users into Leica lenses if they want to get the best out of their digital M bodies.

Any aftermarket encoding system is by definition a compromise

Leica has no commercial or practical interest in or benefit from opening up their system by allowing uncoded lenses to be set up on their bodies - and why should they?

End of.

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like 5

With both Auto ISO and Slow Sync there is the ability to set the minimum shutter speed the body will use when shooting in aperture priority. You can pick fixed values, or "Lens Dependent"...

Ah yes it's an M9 feature i guess. I have no "lens dependent" option with auto iso on my M8.2. I don't miss it i must say. Thank you Luke anyway.

Correct. But back to the original post's question - why not add a feature which allows a user to create additional entries including a focal length to be used by these functions?

From a coding standpoint (I'm a software engineer), this would be simple. The only possible technical reasons for not doing it would be if the system's built in non-volatile storage and/or RAM capacity just can't handle adding the feature, which is possible, but only Leica's programmers know for sure.

64 codes maximum should not take up much space. Oh, I did not anticipate another whine, "I want to store a shot code and full description of the lens and have the menu automatically extend to show my codes. I also do not want to have to enter consecutive short codes. I want the empty slots to be hidden. Oh, and make my codes in color of my choice. OH! and optionally choose the rangefinder frame I want, regardless of actual focal length of the lens! OH! and show the code in the finder."

... and someone to change diapers

Ah yes it's an M9 feature i guess. I have no "lens dependent" option with auto iso on my M8.2. I don't miss it i must say. Thank you Luke anyway.

Yes, the M9 added the "Lens Dependent" option to Auto Iso, but it is on the M8 for Slow Sync. That was my default setting for flash with my M8.2.

Agreed - but even a bare-bones feature takes up space, and without knowing the resource limitations, we can only speculate.

-robert

64 codes maximum should not take up much space. Oh, I did not anticipate another whine, "I want to store a shot code and full description of the lens and have the menu automatically extend to show my codes. I also do not want to have to enter consecutive short codes. I want the empty slots to be hidden. Oh, and make my codes in color of my choice. OH! and optionally choose the rangefinder frame I want, regardless of actual focal length of the lens! OH! and show the code in the finder."

... and someone to change diapers

Hellooo... Is this thing working...?

It does not matter if it is possible or not, it does not benefit Leica.

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

Sent from this Galaxy I'd say!

Exactly. They won't do anything to spoil things for you ( you can use the Olympus EVF on the M and the X2) (Hooray). (You can 6bit code any lens you like)

But expecting them to spend money so as they can sell less lenses is asking for too much!

All the best

• Like 3

The Summicron-C is a C-mount lens, not an M-mount lens, so it will not be supported ;) As soon as there is a theoretical reason that gives rise to doubt, Leica will not implement it, despite all real-life evidence. The same with the Apo-Telyt 135.

• Like 1