New M battery charger

AlanJW

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just out of curiosity, if one of the beta testers isn't busting the NDA could they let us know something of the battery charger, as its size (assume compact but who knows?), and since the battery appears to be double the size of a M9 battery, how long it takes to get a full charge. Also whether it is the folding plug type or figure eight connector type. Thanks.

The folding plug type, if it exists, will probably only apply to the US. I think it is much easier to have a single charger and then supply a power cable to match the country.

Even though in the US I agree. I would prefer a figure 8 connector and a cord or right angle plug. Makes it easier for travel.

Guest Duane Pandorf
Lots of people use the Apple plug set for travel which happens to plug directly into the so-called figure eight plug. I have used it in Europe with good success-meaning nothing went wrong and batteries charger as normal.

Same here.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It doesn't even have to be the expensive Apple one. I have been using no-brand ones from eBay for years - very practical

Yes, I have three right angle plugs that were gotten pretty cheaply, one US, one UK, one Europe. I'd still like to know the form factor of the new charger. The original M8 charger was a Frankencharger.

I do have an issue with manufacturers who introduce new batteries and assume that's all we'll ever use. As a result, if you are using both current and previous cameras, you have to take two chargers, two sets of batteries.

The new M is one example, I don't expect the new charger wil be able to charge M8/M9 batteries so that's two chargers you need to take as well as batteries for both.

Nikon really messed up with the D4 because not only did they introduce a new battery type (brought on by Japanese Government legislation apparently) but also split card support between CF and the so far unloved XQD. That means if you are travelling with a D3X and a D4, you need two chargers, 4 batteries, power cable is the same, two different types of card, two USB card readers and so on.

No wonder the D4 is not providing very popular and people are finding little reason to move on from, say, a D3S.

• Like 1

I agree. And so often the chargers are monstrosities that consume valuable space either in the camera bag or in luggage.

Canon also had to change the battery for the 1DX, but at least it's the same form factor as those used by the III and IV, the older batteries will power the 1DX, and the older charger will charge the new battery, albeit only to about 90%. And the old batteries work on the new charger 100%.

What you mention though was an issue when I was shooting both 1DIIN and 1DIII cameras, which used different battery systems. It's one reason I went with two 1DIII bodies, including for UI consistency in high-paced shooting situations. Maybe they do this intentionally, as with my case, it resulted in the sale of an additional body.

At least with the new M, it appears the battery should last a very long time, at least without the GSP feature active, requiring fewer spare batteries. I'm a fairly prolific shooter and can burn through three batteries in the M9 in one day.

I think it's OK to say that the charger I have used is a slim affair with figure 8 and DC car connectors. The battery, as we all know, is twice the size of that used with the M9.

HI Chris

Just seen this - charging is reasonably quick wouldn't you say? (I haven't timed it, but it seems about equivalent to the old charger for the M9.

It's even quite nice looking.

all the best

• Like 2