Chrome or Black Paint

george +

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, we have discussed this before.

But as delivery approaches so does decision time. I still have my black chrome M5 from 1971 and would it be the same quality I would choose that finish for the 240. My six year old chrome M8 looks like the day it came out of the box, and I do not baby it at all.

The question is, how badly does the black paint deteriorate - with reasonable use without pedantic care?

Black paint does deteriorate ... but not badly.

I ordered my Leica M in silver chrome—for the sole reason that my M9 (which I will keep) is black paint so the two bodies will look different. Paint (any colour) will deteriorate quicker than chrome (any colour) ... but in a graceful way. Impeccable chrome does look great. So will brassed black paint. (Umm ... not sure about brassed gray paint.)

Black paint is not nearly as hard as black chrome. The edges and corners will brass first from wear going into camera bags.

Try a polymer finish for cars like NuFinish for the camera and keep the body in a soft bag to minimize wear going in/out. Chevas Regal works fine as do home made from old sweatshirt. Bag insides are not soft otherwise they would wear too fast, Better the camera takes the abuse.

Black paint is like the emperor's new clothes : we are fools believing that a worn camera indicates experience and skill gained.

The paint scratches with the softest of plastics and will soon wear through in a manor that is currently fashionable.

In the past it was possible to pick up Exc++/Mint- 5 or 10 year old black chrome cameras and get something like new for a lot less money.

Now such new looking used cameras will be in short supply - pushing more buyers to favor brand new cameras ( Leica wins )

Trade in values will also be reduced - so don't plan on selling and you are okay.

Removal of the plastic anti-rub patches on the MP is equally foolish in my eyes.

Bring back the old M6/M7 black hard chrome please.

/end-rant

The Monochrom is interesting - a dull but chrome like finish : not sure how it will hold up; it may get shiny with age.

Edited by FrozenInTime

Black paint is not nearly as hard as black chrome. The edges and corners will brass first from wear going into camera bags.

Try a polymer finish for cars like NuFinish for the camera and keep the body in a soft bag to minimize wear going in/out. Chevas Regal works fine as do home made from old sweatshirt. Bag insides are not soft otherwise they would wear too fast, Better the camera takes the abuse.

I've had a black paint M9 and the coating (it is not paint any more) is a lot harder wearing than the paint on older cameras.Still, it does brass quite a bit. The black chrome on my MM is quite disappointing. The edges started silvering within a few weeks...:o. In the end I would prefer bright chrome, although that scuffs easily.

I, too, am a fan of black paint. I am also in the "I don't understand" when it comes to keeping a camera pristine. If you use it, it's going to wear... and that's ok.

Black is just less obtrusive than silver. Color catches the eye, and especially color that moves. It doesn't have to be much color either.Silver chrome looks pretty. Your subjects may catch the movement of your arms with a black camera, but they won't catch the moving silver flash out of the corner of their eye. If I was taking a camera system into a combat zone, I'd want a black one (which was, btw, why the KE-7A M4 kits were black.).

All camera finishes wear with use. I like the look of black paint wearing much better than black chrome wearing. Your mileage may vary.

Gotta be chrome if you have the choice. Why? Because chrome is the classic M. Sometimes you can't choose. I've had two black M's. The first was a M6 TTL .085 LHSA. Lordy, lordy was that thing purty. Almost too damn pretty. My M8.2 is black, shows a bit of brassing here and there. Would have preferred chrome, but I took what was available. I have to admit I do like the black dot better :).

I've had a black paint M9 and the coating (it is not paint any more) is a lot harder wearing than the paint on older cameras.Still, it does brass quite a bit. The black chrome on my MM is quite disappointing. The edges started silvering within a few weeks...:o. In the end I would prefer bright chrome, although that scuffs easily.

Well Leica advertises it as "black paint".

I compared the black paint bodies I have at hand in an RFF thread in case it is of interest.

There are threads here (for instance this) and at RFF (this) showing photos.

I have gone for chrome, like most of my other Leicas. My steel grey M9 is looking very tatty, with scratches and a couple of paint chips. in comparison, my chrome IIF, M4 and M8, with a quick rub over with an artist's gum eraser, come up looking like new. At some point, I may get the top body of my M9 satin chromed or buy an M9-P body for it once I have the M240 in my hot sticky hands. Leica fitted Jaguar British Racing Green Nappa leather FOC, when they replaced the dying sensor last year (I had CameraLeather slate blue kid previously). The BRG leather would look far better against chrome.

Wilson

For the first time in my life I've ordered chrome with the M-240. I've had it with paint. One of my current M9s is steel gray (for sale on the forum :)) and this has worn better than my original black chrome, despite some scuffing on the base, but NEITHER of my bodies is in such good condition as my very well used M6TTL. Why oh why don't Leica listen to the customer base on this one and give black chrome as an option for the new M?

• Like 1