A LONG wait!

dalfrednix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last year I sold ALL my Nikon gear and purchased a Nex 7 and three used Leica lens. I have wanted to also purchase a Leica digital body and almost bought an M9 late last year. The images are excellent, but I have wanted a Leica body for over a year. After deciding not to buy the M9 I put myself on a wait list for the M240 in mid November and have been reading all the lastest news and released images for the new M.

I started using film Nikons in the 1980s and have never had to wait for a new camera model; I have not had to experience the LONG wait between the announcement of the camera body and the release to the public of the camera body with its intended firmware. This is something new to me so I'd like to hear from others who already own a digital Leica camera and those like me who are buying their first Leica camera; tell me the LONG wait will be worth it.

David Nix

Digital Imagery

mmm... Welcome to the forum?! Yes, I'm sure it will be worth it, but you could also buy a good second hand M8 or M9 now if you want to enjoy your lenses, and not lose much money when you sell it when the M is finally available for you. Would give you some time to get to know rangefinders if you haven't used them before

Well . . . I think it's worth the wait A delightful, responsive and flexible camera, nicely made, and capable of taking advantage of all the lovely M lenses . . . .

just a thought

.......and almost all the R lenses and a significant portion of the Nikon F lens lineup past

and present and the ability to shoot either as a compact rangefinder or as a slightly larger

'TTL" type camera with the addition of finders and grips

Mark

• Like 1

Jono has said it. I will add to it.

Do you want to take pictures or 'play' with boys toys? You don't have to answer here, just to yourself. ;)

Now I am the first to enjoy 'boys toys', but I am testing my resolve (severely) to NOT buy the M240 (yet). I have bought a leica 111f (1952) with a Summitar 50/2.0 lens (1948) and have resolved to use it for a year. This is to test my picture making skills and skirts around the 'boys toy' thing by actually giving me one!

At the end of that time I hope to convince myself that I am capable of making pictures worthy of buying an M240. :cool:

So to the OP I say, welcome aboard and why not try testing your skills with your existing gear to distract you from the inevitable wait. Go enjoy.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, if I don't decide to keep the new M the dealer will refund my $ or I can sell it to a new owner.

I am well versed in digital post processing so I will not go back to a film M just to save money and learn about a rangefinder camera; the Nex 7 comes quite close and as you know uses "focus peaking".

Currently nit appears that the new M will produce images considerably better than the M9 so buying an M9 is not my first choice.

Do you want to take pictures or 'play' with boys toys? You don't have to answer here, just to yourself. ;)

Hi There

Lovely to hear from you - I hope all is well.

You'll be pleased to hear that it was Silas (one of our boys) 30th birthday a couple of weeks ago - we gave him an M6 (he already has his grandfathers IIIf). Now he want's to sell all his slr gear to fund a 35 'cron.

So I'm the boy's toy person around here :)

• Like 1

Currently nit appears that the new M will produce images considerably better than the M9 so buying an M9 is not my first choice.

A lot of that depends on the photographer behind the camera. The M240 may well be a great camera but there is no substitute for a great photographer!

• Like 1

Now I am the first to enjoy 'boys toys', but I am testing my resolve (severely) to NOT buy the M240 (yet). I have bought a leica 111f (1952) with a Summitar 50/2.0 lens (1948) and have resolved to use it for a year. This is to test my picture making skills and skirts around the 'boys toy' thing by actually giving me one!

At the end of that time I hope to convince myself that I am capable of making pictures worthy of buying an M240. :cool:

So to the OP I say, welcome aboard and why not try testing your skills with your existing gear to distract you from the inevitable wait. Go enjoy.

I have no such discipline :rolleyes:

Currently nit appears that the new M will produce images considerably better than the M9............. .

Wow, that is quite a conclusion. And based on which facts would that be? It will produce better files at higher iso, that's as much as I know. Stupid me still thought the monkey behind the shutter produces the images.;)

• Like 1

Hi There

Lovely to hear from you - I hope all is well.

You'll be pleased to hear that it was Silas (one of our boys) 30th birthday a couple of weeks ago - we gave him an M6 (he already has his grandfathers IIIf). Now he want's to sell all his slr gear to fund a 35 'cron.

So I'm the boy's toy person around here :)

An M6 and a 111f. Wow! Yes, I have them both but it all happened in the last half of my life.

Your son is soooo lucky.

Would you adopt me, please Jono? I still have a 'want' list.:D

Agree there. Better ISO performance, and a stop or two of dynamic range doesn't mean better pictures. It's different sure but not better.

Well, since I don't have an M9 it makes sense to purchase the new M. It's amusing how all of us rationalize our camera purchases and how what I now hold in my hand is just as good as the new camera. For me it makes sense to purchase the new camera, but I do agree that at this point we do not have all the information to determine hust how good the new camera will be.

An M6 and a 111f. Wow! Yes, I have them both but it all happened in the last half of my life.

Your son is soooo lucky.

Would you adopt me, please Jono? I still have a 'want' list.:D

Consider yourself adopted . . unfortunately I just spent all my money!

Actually the 111 was his grandfather's camera (Emma's Dad's). The M6 is used, but it's from the last batch of the classic Ms, he seems to be in love!

Silas's Flickr

All the best

• Like 1