Aperture or Solms for repair?

M mechanical cameras are staple of photo repair trade for over 50 years and providing spares (if required) are available repair should be doable.

I don't have repair experience with Aperture but i would give them a chance. Aperture are well established in photo business and i wish i asked them myself when i needed to repair my camera.

Recently i had my MP repaired in Solms via reputable north of England L dealer for almost 900 quid and still awaiting repair report.

The bit that Aperture probably won't be able to repair is any damage to the electonic components.

Repairing rangefinder bits, little levers etc are easy - repairing a circuit board isn't.

If I wanted my M2 CLA'd or repaired, I wouldn't worry about Aperture sorting it for me - an M7 I might just think that Solms was the best place for it.

• Like 2

Gosh, what was wrong with your MP?

When i get paperwork i will be able to brag about it in detail :(

I finished a roll of film without a glitch and following day started exercising shutter speeds etc in preparation for a holiday. With 90mm lens attached camera started to behave erratically misfiring etc, it worked ok with lighter lenses like 35 & 50mm - I suspect correlation with leaver for activating frame lines, there was no film fragments involved. After several minutes of this shutter jammed. Took the camera to dealer expecting UK repair person will fix it but finally got informed that spares were not available in UK and Solms was only option.

Apparently Solm did pretty comprehensive overhaul but without paperwork it is all bit vague. Considering how much i paid for the repair I think i deserve report delivered in gilded frame. I already asked local dealer for a copy of a report (which they have), i think will call Solms and ask for it.

When i get paperwork i will be able to brag about it in detail :(

I finished a roll of film without a glitch and following day started exercising shutter speeds etc in preparation for a holiday. With 90mm lens attached camera started to behave erratically misfiring etc, it worked ok with lighter lenses like 35 & 50mm - I suspect correlation with leaver for activating frame lines, there was no film fragments involved. After several minutes of this shutter jammed. Took the camera to dealer expecting UK repair person will fix it but finally got informed that spares were not available in UK and Solms was only option.

Apparently Solm did pretty comprehensive overhaul but without paperwork it is all bit vague. Considering how much i paid for the repair I think i deserve report delivered in gilded frame. I already asked local dealer for a copy of a report (which they have), i think will call Solms and ask for it.

You might find Solms reluctant to provide that information to you if the original order was placed by a dealer. I had a similar problem with my M6 which was sent to Solms by the dealer I originally bought it from as it went under his warranty. In the end the guy did show me a copy of the quotation and it need a lot of work done on it. However I never got to see the final invoice, I was told though that he'd paid somewhere in the region of £500 plus. But then I was given a 12 months warrant on that repair by Solms.:)

Best wishes

Mike

I do think that's an extra-ordinary amount of money to pay for a repair, even if they have replaced the entire shutter.

Must admit I was in a hurry to get damn thing back working so throw sensibility away.

In the context of the OP, and for mechanical cameras only, in the future I would make first enquiry with independent shop rather than one sporting big L logo.

• 3 weeks later...
I do think that's an extra-ordinary amount of money to pay for a repair, even if they have replaced the entire shutter.

Finally got Repair Report, you wouldn't expect MP camera that looks good on the outside to need this much work, judge for yourself...

Necessary labour

Repair winding mechanism

Repair shutter mechanism

Shutter overhaul

Clean/adjust micro switch

Adjustment of shutter times

Adjust exposure meter

Fix carrying strap loop

Adjust autocollimation

Replace mask / mask carrier

Adjust range finder

Clean range finder

Adjustment of all parts

Cleaning and end control

Necessary parts

Leather covering, large

Axis, mount.

Mask carrier 0.72, 6times

Interesting. Much of the work is 'adjustment'. I would be interested to know what portion of your £900 bill went to the dealer for handling your camera.

Let's find out:-

Labour Euro 473.58

Parts Euro 91.07

Handling & package Euro 40.00

Tax Euro 00.00

TOTAL

Original Leica report Euro 649.33

Dealer Invoice GBP 778.00

VAT GBP 116.70

TOTAL GBP 894.70