Excited about EVF for 75mm

BerndReini

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just pulled out my 75mm summicron, which is a wonderful lens, and shot some portraits with my M7. I realized that the reason I barely ever use this lens is that I find it almost impossible to use the frame lines with it.

I shoot mostly with my 50mm and especially in portrait mode I keep "slipping" between the 50 lines and those little corners. Does anyone else have this problem? And do we think that the M will make us appreciate the 75mm focal lens again?

• Like 1

I just pulled out my 75mm summicron, which is a wonderful lens, and shot some portraits with my M7. I realized that the reason I barely ever use this lens is that I find it almost impossible to use the frame lines with it.

I shoot mostly with my 50mm and especially in portrait mode I keep "slipping" between the 50 lines and those little corners. Does anyone else have this problem? And do we think that the M will make us appreciate the 75mm focal lens again?

I find I need to leave my 75 on for a little while to really adjust, but like riding a bike this adjustment time gets less and less.

• Like 1

I find I need to leave my 75 on for a little while to really adjust, but like riding a bike this adjustment time gets less and less.

True! But for me it's a short adjustment, and I have been surprised to find how much I like the 75mm, whereas I never "bonded" with the 90mm TE in 45 years!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

True! But for me it's a short adjustment, and I have been surprised to find how much I like the 75mm, whereas I never "bonded" with the 90mm TE in 45 years!

The same for me, my very nice 90 Elmarit-M sat on the shelf for a long time, I then sold it and admitted defeat with a longer lens. I borrowed a 75 summilux for a week from a friend and had to have one :)

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. Got a 75 Lux two years ago and 75 Cron about four months ago. Use fair amount.

Agree it takes some concentration but have not had any problems. Perhaps you frame tighter than I. Use LR or PS to do editing. When I am close just remind myself each time I focus to concentrate on inner lines and have not had a problem. Did misframe my 50 recently--first such time and we are still investigating why...:confused:

I like 35mm like 85% of the time, but I might get 75mm as well.

There's a cheap alternative to Leica in Voigtlanter 75mm f/1.8.

I read it's a bit softer between 1.8 and 2.8, but rasor sharp above 2.8. Some even claim it's two lenses in one soft for portraits and super sharp above 2.8 for rest. :-)

Can somebody share some thought compared to Summarit or Summicron?

I love my 75 'cron, but I agree that the frame lines are a pain. On a .72 finder, they are just too small as well, so you don't really feel involved with the image, until you see the final exquisite result. But then again, the more I use my Rolleiflex TLR the more I think the RF viewfinder experience is poor overall.

The more you use the 75mm Frame lines the more you grow accustomed to them. Also, I find a 1.4 Magnifier helps a great deal. When it's on if I pull my eye back slightly from the viewfinder, the magnifier clips the 50 corners and centres the 75mm frame lines nicely. May be worth a trip to the Leica Store to try it out.