6-bit code sensor

jbl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been using a 1954 Summaron on my MM by using an LTM-to-M adaptor. I love it, it's nice to use old glass like this.

One thing I've noticed is that the sensor that reads the 6-bit codes off of the lens is partially exposed when the adaptor is on the MM. It's too narrow to fully cover it.

Is this a problem?

-jbl

Presumably like the image below (M9 and Summicron 5cm collapsible). The adaptor here is one made in China that was not billed as '6-bit' and one can clearly see why! My order was for an adaptor specifically for the M9. I sent it back for a refund.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yep. Exactly.

I don't really care about the six bit coding, I'm just afraid it will damage the thing.

Which is why I sent it back. For the moment I am using a Leitz 9cm adaptor and just have to flick the frame selector lever into the 50mm position whilst framing.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The '6-bit 50/75mm LTM adaptor' on the Kipon website shows a cut-away portion, unlike my Leitz adaptor. Where would this cutaway portion lie on the M9 body (and why do they cut it away)?

• Like 1

The cut-away was originally on all Leitz 35mm and 50mm LTM to M lens mount adapters, to allow the lens’ infinity lock to be pushed in. When lenses with infinity locks (28mm Hektor sn Summaron, 35mm Elmar, Summaron, 50mm Elmar, Summar, Summitar etc) were set to infinity and locked at infinity, the cut-away allowed just enough clearance for the infinity lock to be pushed in to release the lens from its infinity position.

The Kipon adapter seems to have combined the best of both worlds - area large enough for six bit coding and a smaller cut-away for the infinity lock to work. As to where the cut-away lies when mounted on the body - from the photo it appears that it runs from 6 o’clock to about 8 o’clock, looking straight onto the camera.

Cheers,

Jan