Digital Combo: Leica M240 + Summilux 35 FLE

firstlight

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica Community,

As you all know, the Summilux 35 FLE was officially announced as "optimized for digital sensors" (Leica M Digital).

Is the combination of the M240 and this "optimized for digital sensor" lense somehow special?

Any thoughts or even "experiences" would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Wouldn't that include the M8, M9, etc in comparison to MP, M7 and the previous film models? Although I don't think anyone can or be bothered to proof if this is true or not. It probably has more resolving power than the previous models which is not much of a surprise.

Dear Leica Community,

As you all know, the Summilux 35 FLE was officially announced as "optimized for digital sensors" (Leica M Digital).

Is the combination of the M240 and this "optimized for digital sensor" lense somehow special?

Any thoughts or even "experiences" would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Not the way you think. Sensors are more critical to focus differences for a number of basic theoretical reasons. So the slight focus shift the original Summilux 35 asph exhibited was not relevant on film, but did show up from the M8 onwards. So Leica introduced a floating element to minimize the focus shift. That is all; for the rest the lens is virtually identical to its predecessor..

• Like 6

Not the way you think. Sensors are more critical to focus differences for a number of basic theoretical reasons. So the slight focus shift the original Summilux 35 asph exhibited was not relevant on film, but did show up from the M8 onwards. So Leica introduced a floating element to minimize the focus shift. That is all; for the rest the lens is virtually identical to its predecessor..

Japp,

I second you.

I think that floating elements not only alleviates the focus shift problem in M8, M9 but also extend the focus range based on the observation toward my ELMARIT R 28 f/2.8 and M 16-18-21.

Do you think that on M240, thanks to focus peaking, we don't need a floating element for precise focusing?

All the best,

Thomas Chen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you think that on M240, thanks to focus peaking, we don't need a floating element for precise focusing?

Yes - but you need the EVF. In the EVF you see what you get.

I for myself don't buy a Leica Rangefinder to ignore it's primary funcitonality: The Rangefinder ;)

• Like 1

Yes - but you need the EVF. In the EVF you see what you get.

I for myself don't buy a Leica Rangefinder to ignore it's primary funcitonality: The Rangefinder ;)

Mr. Firstlight, (if it is wrong please correct me)

Thanks for advice.

Why we need a EVF ? can't we see the focusing by Live View on the LCD?

I guess for wide-angle lense, rangefinder should be Okey. However, for R-Zoom lenses and tele-lenses LV should work better ?

Regards,

Thomas Chen

So Leica introduced a floating element to minimize the focus shift.

I think it would be helpful for a newcomer's understanding when you'd stop spreading the myth that floating elements were a countermeasure against aperture-related focus shift. Instead, they eliminate, or at least reduce, spherical aberrations at close focus range. So they tackle aperture-related focus shift as indirectly as, for example, aspherical lens elements do.

That is all; for the rest the lens is virtually identical to its predecessor.

It's a new lens design. Sure it's based on the predecessor, which it is very similar to—but there are more changes than just the introduction of a floating elements group.

And now for the original question:

Is the combination of the Leica M (Type 240) and this "optimized for digital sensor" lens somehow special?

No.

Why we need a EVF ? can't we see the focusing by Live View on the LCD?

Live View / EVF will show the same - But I'd prefer EVF over Liveview:

+ Stabilization unless you're using a tripod

+ The Sun is killing all the fun on LiveView (I had a NEX-5 for a year without EVF so I know what I'm talking about ;))

:rolleyes:Does the 35 FLE have more aspherical elements than the original asph? Does the original asph have more focus shift than the FLE?

[...]

Does the Summilux-M 35 mm Asph (non-FLE) have less focus shift than the Summilux 35 mm? If so, how much less? How much focus shift would a purely spherical Summilux 35 mm (FLE) have?:rolleyes:

hehe you made me laugh..... but just a bit. I own the Summilux 35 fle since a week.

It's my first Leica lense (others are Zeiss) but ...WOW - what a performer!

Hey and finally the sun is comming out today since weeks - let's go shooting guys!

Cheers

Does the Summilux-M 35 mm Asph (non-FLE) have less focus shift than the Summilux 35 mm? If so, how much less? How much focus shift would a purely spherical Summilux 35 mm (FLE) have? :rolleyes:

That is quite beside the point. The FLE is practically the same formula as the previous asph, except for the incorporation of a floating element. The focus shift is reduced by this mechanism. Whether other optical design parameters would have influenced focus shift or not is moot, as Leica did not introduce them.

That is quite beside the point.

The point is, aspherical elements reduce aperture-related focus shift, too. In fact, focus shift is caused by spherical aberration, so any measure to reduce spherical aberrations also reduces focus shift.

Contrary to common belief, floating elements do not directly handle focus shift. Instead, they reduce all kinds of aberration, in particular spherical, at close focus range.

The FLE is practically the same formula as the previous asph, except for the incorporation of a floating element.

No, it isn't. :rolleyes:

The focus shift is reduced by this mechanism.

No, it isn't. :rolleyes: