Got the chance to buy

gsgary

I suppose if you're a collector it sounds like an okay buy. But if you're going to actually use it as a camera then there's no point in paying that kind of extra money for a camera that's exactly like any M6 classic for practical everyday use. Plus I personally think it's kind of ugly looking with that big stamp on the top plate and all those little Leica logos embossed in the covering.

Yes they can be found for about £800 but not in mint condition I believe.

gsgary, if you like the camera then of course by all means you should buy it. However, you should also be aware that for an M6 to use an "ordinary" M6 would be a less expensive alternative which still offers the exact same functionality. You probably know that the "Ein Stück" M6s were launched in connection with Leica being listed on the Frankfurt exchange, the idea being to own one piece - ein Stück - of the company (incidentally, last year Leica delisted as a publicly traded company).

Imho, but it's only an opinion of course, the Ein Stück is not one of the more desirable M6s commemorative editions (I think Leica made the most commemorative editions of the M6 and M6TTL so there are plenty to choose from). Still, used prices for the Ein Stück remain higher than other M6 cameras because of the limited edition, so like I said unless one really wants that particular model, then one is better of buying another M6. They are plentiful and good prices can be found. Several dealers European dealers currently have them in stock.

Cheers

Philip

Be sure to try out the R4M first. Because of the baseline length of its rangefinder, it's ideal for wide angle lenses (it's a wide angle lens camera and is even marketed as such.) But it's not that great with a 50mm lens or even a 35. Overall the rangefinder is bright and crisp but the shutter is noisy and metallic sounding (in relation to a Leica M.) And while the build quality is decent it's not at all the same as a Leica (especially the way it's weighted and sits in your hands; at least for me.)

But with a good lens it does the job of holding film. So unless ergonomics and those other subjective values are really important to you, it's a good option considering the low price of a new one (799 USD.)

You can find mint/near mint M6 classics on eBay for close to £800. There's a chrome one now on eBay for £882 (a California seller.) I think you just have to be patient. Several months ago I was tempted to buy one in mint condition (and recently serviced) from a Canadian living in Japan who wanted £830 for his black chrome M6 classic. He was the original owner and it looked spotless.

Be sure to try out the R4M first. Because of the baseline length of its rangefinder, it's ideal for wide angle lenses (it's a wide angle lens camera and is even marketed as such.) But it's not that great with a 50mm lens or even a 35. Overall the rangefinder is bright and crisp but the shutter is noisy and metallic sounding (in relation to a Leica M.) And while the build quality is decent it's not at all the same as a Leica (especially the way it's weighted and sits in your hands; at least for me.)

But with a good lens it does the job of holding film. So unless ergonomics and those other subjective values are really important to you, it's a good option considering the low price of a new one (799 USD.)

You can find mint/near mint M6 classics on eBay for close to £800. There's a chrome one now on eBay for £882 (a California seller.) I think you just have to be patient. Several months ago I was tempted to buy one in mint condition (and recently serviced) from a Canadian living in Japan who wanted £830 for his black chrome M6 classic. He was the original owner and it looked spotless.

Cheers, i would rather have a Leica got my first (M4-2) and love it that much not shot any digital since, at the moment i only have 28mmF2 ultron, 40mmF1.4 Nokton and a jupiter 12 35mmF2.8 that was given to me, got too much money in Canon (300mmF2.8L being one of my lenses) but it would be nice to have 2 cameras with different focal length need to have a good think about it