Nobody knows the trouble I have seen...

Ivan Muller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...as seen in a squatter camp near Pretoria. More b&w and colour images of this poor community here at...Ivan Muller, the lazy travel photographer ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Touching and troubling, he seems not to be the type you would expect in the surroundings.

Technically strong photo but I feel lacks some aspect of relationship between photographer and sitter.

I am sorry of that seems unkind, perhaps it just that he is centre stage and the camera is looking down on him.

• Like 1

Ivan, there is a very compelling story in this series. Very nice work indeed.

I would love to see you go deeper into this project. Get us to feel their skin. To see with their eyes. To smell their surroundings.

I recently re-discovered Eugene Richards' Below the Line. If you havent looked at this book it sets the gold standard. And is accompanied by stories in the words of his subjects. Not saying you should follow this approach, but I do believe this project deserves a deeper narrative...either with words or images that sting and burn.

B&W works best IMHO.

Thanks for posting these...I hope you continue with this project.

• Like 1

Touching and troubling, he seems not to be the type you would expect in the surroundings.

Technically strong photo but I feel lacks some aspect of relationship between photographer and sitter.

I am sorry of that seems unkind, perhaps it just that he is centre stage and the camera is looking down on him.

Thanks for the feedback Bill. The corrugated iron shacks that these poor souls live in are really very small and cramped, behind me was a bed, and as you can see there is very little space between all the stuff. This is of course not any attempt to make 'excuses' but just a description of the conditions....when I was there it was a very hot day and of course inside the tin shacks it was much much worse. With these images I tried to emphasize the surroundings just as much as the people themselves, although on my blog I have some close ups of this guy...but somehow the wider shots work better for me....maybe because it places them more in context...so it was important for me to show the wheelchair and the medical pipes etc....

• Like 1

Ivan, there is a very compelling story in this series. Very nice work indeed.

I would love to see you go deeper into this project. Get us to feel their skin. To see with their eyes. To smell their surroundings.

I recently re-discovered Eugene Richards' Below the Line. If you havent looked at this book it sets the gold standard. And is accompanied by stories in the words of his subjects. Not saying you should follow this approach, but I do believe this project deserves a deeper narrative...either with words or images that sting and burn.

B&W works best IMHO.

Thanks for posting these...I hope you continue with this project.

thanks Virgil! I do plan to go back and also to present all of them with some prints. This helps to win their trust and maybe I will get some better images....