Fast and small versus slow and big

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Panasonic’s Mr Uematsu in a recent interview said “we can make a camera with a small sensor and a bright lens - like the LX7 or we could use a bigger sensor but with a slower zoom lens..... For normal people, you have to wonder by what percentage the image quality is going to get better - maybe the best answer is a small sensor and bright lens.”*

My question, which is going to give the better image quality, a V-Lux 4 at 600mm (35mm equivalent) at f2.8 and 400 ISO, or a micro four thirds camera equipped with a 600mm (35mm equivalent) with a maximum aperture of only f5.6 (Panasonic) or f6.7 (Olympus) and therefore, to give the same exposure, ISO 1600 or ISO 2400? Will the two+ stops advantage of the V-Lux be sufficient to compensate for its much smaller sensor? Has anyone done this comparison?

im pretty sure the answer is both.....

there are times where both camera would have their advantages ....

if i had to choose... high quaility lens f2.0 thruout the zoom, and high quality large sensor .... oh and ofcourse in a small package !

I had the same quandry when purchasing a new camera. I looked at the Fujifilm X10 and the Sony RX-100 but decided on the Leica D-LUX 6. I had to keep the price below $1000.00 (USD) and the Leica was easy to use, compact, and had easy to use full manual control.

I have taken 500+ pics in the past two weeks with it and I feel that I made the right decision. In the near future there will be a compact camera with both a very fast lens and a large(er) sensor but right now there are still compromises to be made.

I know that my Leica is a Panasonic based camera but I feel that Leica would not adorn an inferior product with their legendary name if it was not best, or nearly best in class. I am really into the high-end audio scene and I have owned Krell (USA), Arcam (UK), Dynaudio (Denmark), Accuphase (Japan), and numerous other pieces of audio equipment. I have seen a few comments regarding Japanese build quality...The Japanese are well known for manufacturing to the highest standard, as are the Germans, English, Danes, Americans, etc...

I understand that this was slightly off topic but it seemed to have some relevance to this topic. On the bright side there are no Leica cameras made in China (yet). My point is that I truly appreciate great visual and audio reproduction and I will choose the best instruments, within my means, to achieve my goals.

I really enjoy this site and the dedication that has gone into making it possible!

I am not familiar with these two cameras because low light performance is important to me. At the moment in most digital cameras, (Google: camera sensor sizes) sensor size trumps nearly anything. Hence I have a Leica X2 and Fuji XE-1 for my small sensor sized photos. Under near perfect conditions nearly any of the compacts will take amazing photographs. But as soon as the condition are high contrast, low light, or action (or you blow them up a LOT) they quickly start differentiating themselves... By sensor size. The bigger the better! So you notice those two cameras of mine are both the largest non- FX sensor, one interchangeable lens and one not. I have a small sensor Canon G12... Wanna buy it? I never use it. Too many photos are outside the parameters it can handle (1/7" sensor). I may switch with a D-lux 6 for when ever my X2 is too big ( never). Normally i shoot a Nikon D800 and am eyeing the Leica M next. JD

Edited by JDFlood