Recommend a lens

andrew00

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey,

I've been saving for a while and will be buying an M9 soon.

I will probably buy only one lens to start with, learn everything before making further decisions, but I don't know which to buy.

I like shooting people but I don't necessarily feel the need to go too close, I like fashion type framing, typically full body or half body. Therefore I'm drawn to a 35mm lens, prob a Summicron.

However, as that lens won't do closer portraits too well, I was pondering to get a Summicron 50mm instead, and for wider shots perhaps adding the 28mm f/2.8 in time.

What do y'all feel? 35 or 50?

My concern with the 50 is it'll be too 'close', my concern with the 35 is distortion if I get even moderately close.

Thanks!

you really can't go wrong with a 35mm IMO.....like a 35mm Summicron. If you are on a tighter budget, you should consider the 35mm Summarit OR 40mm Summicron....both of which offer very similar performance for considerably less money.

• Like 1

The M9 is a great camera and a wonderful choice.

A primary focal length is very personal and while some prefer 35 on a full frame, others prefer the 50. Why, there are many that use a 28 most of the time.

You need to try lenses out first in various situations and then decide what suits you best. You can rent or borrow first. If you can't then try getting a used lens or even start with cheaper lenses like Voigtlander or Zeiss that make very good lenses (of course not at the price of a Leica but a useful starting point.)

Try the CV 35 or the Zeiss 50 Planar. You can always upgrade to a Leica after some time.

Alternately you can get some rather good Summicrons in the used market. Do take care here, check for warranties and buy from a reputed dealer.

Edited by rramesh

The perennial 'first lens' question.

Might I suggest that you look back over your previous photographs - do you primarily see the world through 35mm or 50mm.

Start there, but it really doesn't matter too much as you will almost certainly end up with both focal lengths - they are very different. I should add that 28/50 is a really nice combination.

You may want to consider the Summarits (on balance, other than the 1/2 stop, they are as good as the corresponding Summicrons) - at the price you can almost have a 35 and 50.

Mark

Edited by MarkP

35 is always a good start if you're new into the rangefinder world. distortion is not a concern with Leica 35mm, it may be there for some model of 35 but hardly, hardly noticeable. i, myself, am a 50 shooter, but also have a 35cron ASPH. had i been a 35 shooter, i would have chosen FLE in a heart beat :) but choose according to budget. if you have limited budget, check out older 35 lens like the 35 cron version 4 or the 8-element cron (but this one is a bit expensive)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agree with Mark's advice to see what you have used in he past. That said I went many years before acquiring the 50 Asph last year and am now using more than my 35 Summicron which was always first choice.

You will take good pictures with whatever lens you have attached at that decisive moment.

Typical lens systems can be:

One: 35 or 50

Two lenses: 35 and 75 or 90

Three lenses: 24 or 28, 35 or 50 and 75 or 90

Four lenses: 18, 24, 28 or 35 or 50, 75 or 90, and 135 makes five

Other criteria are speed in case you shoot concerts like I do or often are in low light.

Some of us are fortunate to own more than five; then we carry 3 to 5 based on circumstances. So planning ahead is about a system is good thinking on your part.

As James says, I would buy a good secondhand 35mm Summicron which will always fetch close to what you paid for it and learn with that. You can have too many lenses and with the M9, my favourite 3 are the 28mm Summicron ASPH, the 50mm Summilux ASPH and the APO 90mm Summicron ASPH.

Thanks for the replies, The M is on its way, now for the lens!

I've taken lately with Venetia Scotts photography, who takes really nice full body/half body portraits. I've posted some examples below.

Looking at these, what focal length do y'all feel will be most suited to achieving the below, I think she uses a Contax G2 and I'm presuming the 35mm or 45mm lens, so I'm thinking probably looking at a 35mm or 50mm?

However I'd appreciate some guidance of which as will the 35mm be unsuited for the half bodies (distortion), will the 50mm not be able to get far enough back for a good full body etc?

Also, if y'all can recommend any specifically suited lenses that'd be great, thanks a lot!

I guess you don't feel and disturbing distortion with 35mm.. even 28mm is fine for half/full body pictures (but 28mm is really the limit).

Therefore you should be fine with 35mm.

I'll also go for a 35mm only setup as I like the slightly wide-angle.

50mm is to "tele" for my perception.

will the 50mm not be able to get far enough back for a good full body etc?
Full body with 50mm needs some distance:

In the forest: no problem

In a city: watch out that you're not getting hit by a car while stepping back :rolleyes:

indoor: forget it..

Also, if y'all can recommend any specifically suited lenses that'd be great, thanks a lot!
I'll get the Summilux 35 FLE tomorrow, I'll update you how it performs ;)

Cheers!

We all have our favorites. My suggestion would be to take a Leica Akademie where you can try just about every M lens Leica makes.

It will also help you better understand yor M9 and how to improve your techniques. They often give a coupon for a new Leica numbered lens or body worth around $150.

The class could save you money in the end by preventing purchasing what you will not enjoy or use.

Tom Smith who runs the US Akademies is very good and patient with all students.

• 9 years later...
On 2/10/2013 at 11:47 PM, efreed2754 said:

Agree with Mark's advice to see what you have used in he past. That said I went many years before acquiring the 50 Asph last year and am now using more than my 35 Summicron which was always first choice.

You will take good pictures with whatever lens you have attached at that decisive moment.

Typical lens systems can be:

One: 35 or 50

Two lenses: 35 and 75 or 90

Three lenses: 24 or 28, 35 or 50 and 75 or 90

Four lenses: 18, 24, 28 or 35 or 50, 75 or 90, and 135 makes five

Other criteria are speed in case you shoot concerts like I do or often are in low light.

Some of us are fortunate to own more than five; then we carry 3 to 5 based on circumstances. So planning ahead is about a system is good thinking on your part.

21-35-50-90

21 Super Elmar - 28 Summicron - 50 Summicron - 75 Summicron

28mm as main lens

Why 28 and not 35? They are quite near together but 28 is more versatile with no distortion. You always can crop a bit in post. 

Edited by M11 for me