Video with M240?

Sully

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are there any examples of video clips that we could see? Our film/video clan (Washington, D.C.) really wants to ditch our 5Ds and use Leica glass on a 4-4-2 sub sampling camera like the M240. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao, Sully

• Like 1

Are there any examples of video clips that we could see? Our film/video clan (Washington, D.C.) really wants to ditch our 5Ds and use Leica glass on a 4-4-2 sub sampling camera like the M240. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao, Sully

NDA - though I think it's fair to say that (as a non-videographer) I find it works very well. I think it's also allowable to say that it's an interesting experience pulling focus with a RANGEFINDER... The one problem with this is that you have to visualise the 16:9 crop within the framelines, but it's not impossible to get a decent composition in quick grab contexts. Compared with a DSLR this might open rather interesting possibilities for those who do hand held video...

• Like 1

Thank you Chris, for the quick reply. I agree with you that shooting video with the rangefinder system might be tough.

I was hoping that the EVF finder with the R to M adapter would allow a more accurate video framing.

We use the Leica R lenses now with Canon and Panasonic GH2 (soon to be GH3). We have the 21-35, 35-70, 70-180, 80-200 R zooms which, even though they old, are astoundingly sharp with great color correction. We also have the R 35, 50, and 80 Summilux lenses when the world gets dim. Even though we could use the M lenses for video, we prefer the R glass because the focus roll with these lenses is so large. M glass for quick focus or wide might be ok. But we need that languid smoothes from the R lens to track the subject with video.

I would guess that Leica could install a 16x9 frame line for the Live View option. Even shooting the 2/3 ratio and cropping a 16x9 out off that file would not be difficult in post. The file from the M240 is large and the 442 color space is so good that a sleight crop at top and bottom would not bother us. In fact this might actually be an advantage for post-production reframing. We do this all the time with big files from Red, Sony, or Arri video cameras.

The only thing we seem to need from the M240 would be a video out to bring the signal into a large HD monitor for the Director to see during the take. There is no HDMI out that I could find in the specs. Perhaps, an after market mod from the EVF bracket or electronic grip would be possible?

Thank again for your tests. You and Jono have given us early adopters a good feeling about our new baby.

Ciao, Sully