Apple iMac Monitor Issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 2 year old iMac has developed a thin vertical line along the right side of the monitor. This is an issue that has plagued many an iMac over the years and Apple does not cover this defect if the computer is off warranty or not on Apple Care (there was a series of serial numbers for which they did pay to replace the defective monitors, but those are circa 2009/2010). Because I had previously switched my photo post processing to a Mac Mini Server + NEC monitor, I am going to live with it on this computer until it gets bad enough that I can't use the computer (it is a $700+ repair).

My point is to suggest you think long and hard about buying an iMac. I learned on this one that you can no longer upgrade the hard drive without paying Apple to do it, you have an integrated monitor (that has limited capabilities for photo processing IMO) and these monitors continue to have a high rate of problems. Perhaps this has changed with the Thunderbolt interface, but, at least on this model, you cannot connect an external 3rd party monitor if you have this problem.

Just an FYI...

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you have issues.

I had bad experiences with iMac and Macbook as well. Since then only Pro mac material for me....

It is always better to split the slowly aging screen technology from the faster changing computer.

Go for Mac Mini or Mac Pro next time.

The display should last you 2 or 3 times as long as even the Mac Pro in terms of usability.

• Like 1

...It is always better to split the slowly aging screen technology from the faster changing computer.

Go for Mac Mini or Mac Pro next time.

The display should last you 2 or 3 times as long as even the Mac Pro in terms of usability.

I agree, it sounds good. Unfortunately if you plan/need to replace your computer it is not sure when the next Mac Pro will arrive on the market, if it will arrive. And the actual Pro is very high priced in spite of its age...I'm leaning in direction of an i.mac + an external Eizo or Nec screen. But still some doubts...

robert

Hi Robert,

Be careful comparing performances of Mac Pro and iMac. I am a Mac user for 25 years now and I have bought new Mac's for the first few years. So they were mostly the equivalent of todays iMacs.

Then when I started using them professionally, It became clear that unless you really need the ultimate in performance, you are better off buying the Pro versions second hand rather than buying the i-version new.

Of course if you are new to the Mac world it is sometimes better to go for new and the service that comes with it... So the following applies if you or a friend of yours have experience and feel comfortable installing new software and hardware in the Mac.

Take the money an iMac would cost you new today, and buy a second hand Mac Pro.

It will probably have the same benchmark speed, but that is only on paper. It will almost certainly feel twice as fast in day to day use.

You can pimp up the Mac Pro as years go by:

- add RAM. Yesterdays Mac Pro's can handle up to 64GB , now you can go to 128GB

- run soft raid. The speed of a soft raid is comparable to SSD but size is bigger and cost is a fraction. Two 1 TB drives will give you a 2TB drive with about the same performance as an SSD. Hold on... not on paper, but in practice. It is too long to explain here.

- add drives (up to 4)

This way I always buy a Mac Pro about 2 years old, then hold it for 4-5 years.

I have a 4x2.66 GHz MacPro from 2006 now and with its 6GB RAM and soft raid drive it is holding up well for anything but video editing. It handles 4TB of drives internally and 4 TB of drives externally.

I will probably replace it next year or so with an 8 or 12 core.

This way these Pro machines turn out 'cheaper' than any iMac would. Some iMacs do not even last more than a few years under heavy use, while Mac Pro's ar built for lasting in 24/7 environments.

• Like 1