Lens cap for Summitar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What lens cap alternatives are there for the Summitar? It is one of my more frequently used lenses on both my II and Ms and I'd like to protect the front element, esp. when the camera is in my coat pocket.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Cheers

Philip

Thank you JC. I only find this black cap which fits the Heavystar hood. I'm not so keen on the hood and would prefer a silver cap.

Are original Summitar front caps difficult to find (collectibles?)?

You can use the same as on Summicron 2/50

eBay | Original Leica Metal Front E39 Chrome Cap for Leica M Lens in Excellent Cond.

I usually keep a filter on the lens anyway, so the cap protects the filter as much as the lens. Especially with a Summitar where (a) the coating and the glass are softer and more easily damaged than on modern lenses and (B) the unique filters are getting hard to find.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks John. Yes perhaps a cap isn't a great idea; I've read that they can fall off rather easily due to the felt lining becoming thinner.

I have several Summitar filters (actually I'm selling them in the B&S section) but not a clear UV filter. I agree that would be the best and easiest protection - I'll keep my eyes open for one.

cheers

Philip

You can make that kind of cap more secure by using a bent pin or similar to roughen the surface of the felt. Or buy some self-adhesive felt from a craft shop and use that (usually more than one layer) to replace the original.

Or get a cheap 42mm push-on plastic cap to use so you can leave the expensive Leitz one safe at home.

it is to my understanding that Summitar is an odd duck in the filter size and lens cap department. You need L type filter or L type adapter to E39 for use with normal filters. As for Lens cap, Summitar is not a typical A42 metal cap that is common in E39. The Summitar use a slightly smaller and unique A41.5.