In praise of a suede figure of 8 and cir clip

IWC Doppel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How to stop you Leica hitting the ground.....

I know others have done the same but I thought I would share a few pictures of my finger loop, I can set out dimensions if required and these were sold in the past using fabric, I made one up with suede and it's moved from M6 to M8 and now M9-P and has saved damage on three occasions ;)

I read about the awful story of an MM and 50 lux hitting the tarmac and thought I would share some pictures to show (in iphone B&W !)

All the best

IWC

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sorry, yes here you go, apologies for the shake on the photo. a small cir clip over the strap eyelet and this hold the suede in place, it is surprisingly strong

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks interesting, and handy.

One warning though.

I do not know if I want to risk hanging 700g to 1 kg of gear worth more than 10.000 euro on that strap and the one strap bolt in the M9 body.

According to Will van Maenen it is definately not designed to carry the weight at that angle. And it is in danger of popping out of the body all together.

I think you are fine as long as you weight of the camera with your hand. The strap should only serve as an insurance against the camera slipping out of your hand by accident, but it should not be used to carry the full weight all the time.

Yes I use it as security and a safety strap, it does also seem to offer good stability when shooting as well. I would however be surprised if the eyelet was unable to hold the weight, looking at the design, I am more worried about the suede slipping over the ring, when I check it's fine and there is no strectch around the holes.

There have been several occasions where I have lost my grip and been very pleased to have my finger loop on

Yes I use it as security and a safety strap, it does also seem to offer good stability when shooting as well. I would however be surprised if the eyelet was unable to hold the weight, looking at the design, I am more worried about the suede slipping over the ring, when I check it's fine and there is no strectch around the holes.

There have been several occasions where I have lost my grip and been very pleased to have my finger loop on

...I would however be surprised if the eyelet was unable to hold the weight, looking at the design, I am more worried about the suede slipping over the ring, when I check it's fine and there is no strectch around the holes....

I actually had a look at the dismantled M9 at Will's place and he is right. The metal that is holding the eyelet is very thin. The eyelet is not secured by a screw or anything. It is just wedged in. If pulled perpendicular on the side of the M9 and with the right shock it could be pulled out IMO. I do not know if he serviced one with this issue or if he was just worried that it was going to happen one day, but he explicitely expressed his concerns about single eye wrist straps for the M.

It is safe to say that Leica never designed the eyelets to hold the camera under that angle and with just one eye in stead of two.

I use a normal flexible strap attached to both eyelets and wrap it around my wrist. Feels better to me...

I must admit that your figure of 8 is more elegant though :cool:

• Like 1