m240: black dot?

geesbert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although I might get over the point that Leica lost the illumination window on the new M, I already have nightmares about the red dot. In my opinion it is as ugly as the M4-P's.

My photography improved big time once I installed a black dot onto my M9. Suddenly my unobtrusiveness helped me blend with the concrete. No one recognised me for the bore I am.

I still cherish a spare black dot at a secret hiding place, but as the dot-type-240 seems to be larger than the dot-type-M9, what can i do about it? please help and advise!

• Like 1

It's all in the mind. You, the photographer are many times larger and more noticable by your actions than your camera, let alone some tiny red dot. If you like the black, that's fine, but don't project your assumed feelings of stealthiness onto what others see.

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like 16

Did you tape yourself or the camera?!

No I got the Gas heating engineer to do it at his normal call-out rate and as he is also registered for electrical work he also installed the tape on my black M9 and covered the lettering for free . Luckily as the heating engineer is me I was able to get a refund on the cost. A bit complicated but it worked:)

Edited by viramati

Although I might get over the point that Leica lost the illumination window on the new M, I already have nightmares about the red dot. In my opinion it is as ugly as the M4-P's.

My photography improved big time once I installed a black dot onto my M9. Suddenly my unobtrusiveness helped me blend with the concrete. No one recognised me for the bore I am.

I still cherish a spare black dot at a secret hiding place, but as the dot-type-240 seems to be larger than the dot-type-M9, what can i do about it? please help and advise!

Black Humbrol enamel paint is your friend . . . paint the black dot then rub it off the silver with spirit before it dries. . . . . . . . at least, I'm sure I read someone somewhere who did that (just be careful not to get it on your nice silver chrome.

I figure it's not a big deal... I believe in urban camoflage, so I'm going to spray paint my camera various shades of concrete gray to blend in. All it costs is a couple of minutes of time to mask off the glass, and a couple of cans of different shades of flat Rustoleum gray paint. I'd like to do patches like military camo, but spray paint isn't that precise on such a small object, so I'll just wing it. Rustoleum covers the red nicely, and bonds well with whatever that black grippy stuff is they put all over the body. :D

• Like 1

Im paying £5100 for a camera. I am making sure people know it cost me that much.

I WANT to be stopped on the street by keen amateur photographers asking me why I shoot Leica and not CaNikon followed by 'what camera should I get'.

I love that.

lol. That's funny, I get the same treatment over my M3. :D

It's Leica's beautiful, zen, anti-bulbous-black-monster industrial design people pick up on. That and their irrational fears that my using film means I know something important they don't. Like maybe they bought their camera for the wrong reasons.

Edward R. Murrow: What does it mean to be 'cool'?

Dizzy Gillespie: If you have to ask, you ain't.

Back on topic...

s-a

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im paying £5100 for a camera. I am making sure people know it cost me that much.

I WANT to be stopped on the street by keen amateur photographers asking me why I shoot Leica and not CaNikon followed by 'what camera should I get'.

I love that.

Regardless of whether the red dot is visible or taped over, the most usual reaction to a digital Leica seems to be "Oh, are you still using film?" or even, occasionally, "Surely you should have gone over to digital by now?"

• Like 1

Regardless of whether the red dot is visible or taped over, the most usual reaction to a digital Leica seems to be "Oh, are you still using film?" or even, occasionally, "Surely you should have gone over to digital by now?"

Yes, I've gone to digital, and don't call me Shirley.

• Like 9

Yes or "it's an old camera you have here don't you?" and people smile while saying this. If we can't do good pics in such welcoming ambiance we're the only culprits. :D

• Like 1

Yes or "it's an old camera you have here don't you?" and people smile while saying this. If we can't do good pics in such welcoming ambiance we're the only culprits. :D

I was in Venice at the back of the year and someone came up to me on a bridge in Burano and said "How do you like the new Leica M?". I nearly fell in the water.

• Like 4

I was in Venice at the back of the year and someone came up to me on a bridge in Burano and said "How do you like the new Leica M?". I nearly fell in the water.

That would have been you sacked as a beta tester. "Sorry Leica, weather proofing seems a bit inadequate."

Wilson

• Like 2

I figure it's not a big deal... I believe in urban camoflage, so I'm going to spray paint my camera various shades of concrete gray to blend in. All it costs is a couple of minutes of time to mask off the glass, and a couple of cans of different shades of flat Rustoleum gray paint. I'd like to do patches like military camo, but spray paint isn't that precise on such a small object, so I'll just wing it. Rustoleum covers the red nicely, and bonds well with whatever that black grippy stuff is they put all over the body. :D

But when you drop it on the sidewalk you won't be able to readily see it.