Glasses-wearer needs advice on 90mm M lens use.....

andyedward

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been doing some research on using 90mm lenses on M cameras, and was wondering if a .85x viewfinder and a 1.4x magnifier would be suitable for someone who wears glasses? I'm a little confused about this and would appreciate some advice.

I have only used a .72x with a 35mm lens since switching to M six months ago, and find this combination to work very well whilst wearing glasses :). I'll buy an M7 with a .85x if using a 90 looks viable. My concern is that despite having a 1.4x magnifier, the 90mm framelines will only occupy a small proportion of the viewfinder window. I have an R9, so could buy a 90/2 apo, but prefer using a rangefinder

BTW, am I correct in assuming the 90mm framelines on a .85x will occupy the same proportion of the viewfinder as a .72x ?

Edited by andyedward

I bought an M4 (.72) with a 90 TE in 1968, and for a year it was my only lens. Although after 45 years my vision isn't as good, I still find the combination fine. I also use the 90 on my M9 with good results. The larger magnification on the M3 finder is nice with the 90, but I find results (focus accuracy, etc) equal on all these models - but I'm VERY used to focusing an M.

On the other hand, a 90 Summicron R is where the SLR really gets nice. I can't focus a 50 as well on my R6 as on an M, but the 90 does very well. I prefer the R with 90 and 135.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that wearing glasses shooting a 35mm lens with a .85 camera is very difficult, almost impossible.

I wear glasses myself and had a .85 Leica for a little while. For me personaly it was not worth it and i am back to .72.. Even with a .85 Finder the frame for 90mm is small.

If you have no issues focussing a 90 mm lens reliable stick with .72 finder.

• Like 1

Tom and J. Borger, Many Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. I am very appreciative of it as it has helped to clarify my options.

I was hoping the .85x and 1.4x magnifier would bring the 90mm framelines up to a size I would find useable with glasses, but unfortunately not. I prefer RF focussing, but the 90mm framelines would (speaking personally) be akin to watching a television screen which is too small. My MP will be used focal lengths up to 50mm, and the R9 above that. I use a fantastic 100/2,8 on my R9, but the 90/2 apo will bring an extra stop and smaller dimensions.

I wear glasses and the .72 finder is fine for me. Focusing accuracy is important, and if you have a nice bright finder it helps (and a magnifier degrades the contrast of the focus patch). But the size you get used to, it hardly matters how big the 90mm framelines are, things are either inside or outside the frame. It's a matter of educating the eye to ignore what you don't want to see, not necessarily just filling the viewfinder up.

Steve

• Like 1

I wear glasses and have no problems using my AA 90mm/2. I dont use a magnifier either. Granted, focusing is sometimes off when hand-holding, but there are so many factors in this business, that a fresh breath or a few millimeters movement of the subject can throw off focus. And certainly less focussing error than with my similar canons (85/1.8, 70-200/2,8).

I say get the 90 you want, based on economic and practual concerns instead.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Studies were done in the past and 90 mm is the crossover for focus accuracy between RF and SLR accuracy. Below 90, RF is better, above 90 the SLR wins. It has to do with the base RF length which is too short on a slr. There is some other advantage the SLR gets at long focals which I do not remember.

I find the best technique is to focus and then move in/out and do not take a pic unless the RF is correct. When I do portraits, the M3 was the best. set it to 5 feet and move in until the catchlights in the eyes merge. It was a never miss procedure.

• Like 1