50 Lux needs service?

Mark Pedley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I already had one of my 50 Lux go back to Solms because of a loose lens mount. The lens barrel could be rocked left and right relative to the mount ("tilted" as in a tilt-shift lens).

My second 50 lux is tight in the "tilt" sense, but if hold the end of the lens (filter mounted), I can rotate the barrel (clockwise/anticlockwise) slightly relative to the mount. It is probably a fraction of a millimeter, but I can see and feel this minimal rotation at the f-stop markings. There is a hard stop left and right, so there is some play in the construction. I am not sure if this is normal or not. My 35 Cron does not do this.

Just wondering if this is typical, or whether a service is needed on this as well.Just looking for a comparison (since I am sensitized to faults on this lens).

Thanks!

Mark

My 50 Lux, pre asph E43 (the second version with seperate hood) was serviced, coded and adjusted by Malcolm Taylor in early 12. It had a loose mount and was a little notchy with focus.

It cam back buttery smooth and tight all over, no play. I did find that I had a tiny amount of play when focussing recently, as if there was a small amount of slack. I recalled that that I had been advised before to check the lens was light and for this lens you can unscrew front the hood/filter ring. Instead I gave the lens a little tighten by hand, this bought the lens back to perfect. I suspect thread lock might be required for permanent tightening or perhaps it was insufficiniently tightened at th CLA. But Malcolm is very thorough.

I'd carefully tighten ( normal thread so it tightens in the normal way ) and see if it improves perhaps this lens is prone to loosening with use.

If you look for microscopic faults you will find them everywhere.

Unless it actually affects the functionality of the lens I wouldn't worry about it. Just have it fixed when you do a CLA on the lens when necessary. Until then - don't worry and just use it.