Lenses for the M240

rramesh

No, and I doubt that there ever will be. Even with only the adapters that are already on the market there are thousands of lenses that can be used on the M. For example, almost all lenses ever made in any of the following mounts can be used:

• M, LTM, Leicaflex/R
  • Classic Contax and Nikon rangefinder
  • F (Nikon) except for late lenses without aperture ring
  • M42 (Praktica, Pentax etc.)
  • Canon FD
  • Minolta MC/MD
  • Alpa Reflex

Now with the impending release of the M240, is there a compilation of all the possible lenses one could possible use with the M240?

The Leica M (Type 240) has an M bayonet mount, so you can use all M lenses, all Leica Thread Mount lenses on an M adapter, and all 35-mm-format SLR lenses for which M adapters exist (i. e. virtually all of them, provided they have an aperture ring).

At least Nikon lenses don't need an aperture ring.

There are adapters that permit control of the lens' aperture.

Of course, the adapters don't have aperture markings.

However, although those markings would be convenient they are not essential.

One can set the lens apertures precisely by relying on the camera's exposure meter.

Just start on either end, wide open or closed down.

Then watch the exposure reading change as you change the lens aperture with the adapter.

Count factors of 2 until you have reached the aperture you want.

That seems to work for me just fine. :)

I guess I was not too clear.

I am sure all lenses you can use on an M9, can be used on the M. In addition with the R adapter all R mount lenses.

Now my question is that are there other lenses you could use on the M9, which you can now with the M with suitable adapters considering you now have live view and video functions? For instance, movie lenses etc.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are adapter for medium format also like Hasselblad and Mamiya to Nikon F and Canon so two converters and your on your way from day one with the new M

Great fun and goes along with the intension of the Viso system, but not really practical and definitely the complete opposite of the Leica M range finder systems intended use.

I will not replace my DSLR system with the new Leica M IMHO they are now three completely different tools for different purposes. Where the new M is two tools in one...

No, and I doubt that there ever will be. Even with only the adapters that are already on the market there are thousands of lenses that can be used on the M. For example, almost all lenses ever made in any of the following mounts can be used:

• M, LTM, Leicaflex/R
  • Classic Contax and Nikon rangefinder
  • F (Nikon) except for late lenses without aperture ring
  • M42 (Praktica, Pentax etc.)
  • Canon FD
  • Minolta MC/MD
  • Alpa Reflex

Also you could say:-

1) Any lens with registry longer than 27.8mm, add few mm for the thicknes of adapter.

2) Any lens with image circle equal or bigger than 24x36mm frame diagonal = 43mm, smaller is also ok but expect heavy vignetting.

3) Any lens with aperture ring but there are exceptions like Nikon G with suitable adaptor like Novoflex.

3.1) Any lens with manual focus capability - be it by means of focusing ring or photographer's feet.

Edited by mmradman
Add 3.1
  • Like 1

See: Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically any lens which has a greater flange focal distance than the Leica M could be adapted (via a custom mount if required and someone will build this economically) - providing the aperture and focus can be controlled, if required, and that the lens can physically be fitted within the confines of the M camera if it protrudes through and behind the M mount.

The lenses should have a FF or larger image circle too because although lenses with a smaller image circle can be used, you are left to cull the image out of the middle. A Nikon 12-24 DX lens is going to give "interesting" results outside the Nikon DX frame space.

Have no fear, we will see a huge number of threads showing the M240 used with a variety of adapters and lenses showing what works and what doesn't.

Most modern AF lenses are hard to use manually even if they can be used this way.

Their focus ring turn is too short to be useful or the focus ring is positioned on front of the lens...

So I would not bother using them on the M240, even if they are FF

I'm going to be interested to at least try some "zebra" Carl Zeiss Jena lenses from the 70's which were originally used on Prakticas - 20mm f4 Flektogon, 50mm f1.8 Pancolar and 50mm f2.8 Tessar.

I even have a Meyer Optik Goerlitz Domiplan, the 3 element 50mm f2.8 lens which introduced me to SLR photography in 1971. The original is long gone but I recently bought one for £5 and it will be interesting to compare its performance with the 1000+ times more expensive APO 50mm Summicron.

• Like 1

What lens? My Hasselblad 350 CF to see how it compares to 180 and 280 Leica R's. If not so good, then the Hasselblad 100CF which many pros used to complain was too sharp for their modeling work, back in the film days.

Edited by algrove

errrr....... I cannot see the point of spending 5k GBP on a high end digital body and then bolting a selection of antique or bizarre lenses onto it which were never intended for a Leica rangefinder.

Once the novelty wears off they will all go back in the attic or off to ebay where they rightly belong. Anyone that is expecting jaw dropping improvement is seriously delusional...

Leica lenses are optimised for Leica cameras ... apart from a dip into a few R series and some of my visoflex stash I cannot for the life of me see the point in all this and the speculation around it....:rolleyes:

I'm not sure about that one. The monochrom has shown what a sensor can do for an old/exotic lens. A couple of 1950-ies Canon lenses, bought for fun, have worked their way into my regular kit. I have a bit of difficulty visualizing what "optimized for Leica cameras" means.

Also you could say:-

1) Any lens with registry longer than 27.8mm, add few mm for the thicknes of adapter.

2) Any lens with image circle equal or bigger than 24x36mm frame diagonal = 43mm, smaller is also ok but expect heavy vignetting.

3) Any lens with aperture ring but there are exceptions like Nikon G with suitable adaptor like Novoflex.

3.1) Any lens with manual focus capability - be it by means of focusing ring or photographer's feet.

Include within those exceptions a particular (and legendary) set of lenses without aperture ring : the Zeiss (Oberkochen) for Contarex : adaptable through an odd but functional ring (one of the reasons of my interest towards the M240 is that I own them ;), 35-50-135 are very good, but 18-25-250 absolutely exceptional)

I have a bit of difficulty visualizing what "optimized for Leica cameras" means.

..... in the sober light of day, nor do I....:rolleyes:

I suppose all this depends if you are anticipating whether other lenses are going to give you better performance (whatever that is) or just a different look due to their optical quirks and pattern of aberrations......

I tend to sit in the 'produce the best technical image that the gear can achieve' camp of photography ..... and then degrade it as much as you like in post-processing ;)

......... always assuming you are gifted enough to use the equipment to the limits of its capabilities (which I clearly can't.....)

Include within those exceptions a particular (and legendary) set of lenses without aperture ring : the Zeiss (Oberkochen) for Contarex : adaptable through an odd but functional ring (one of the reasons of my interest towards the M240 is that I own them ;), 35-50-135 are very good, but 18-25-250 absolutely exceptional)

Luigi,

Would love to see it, if you don't mind there is a dedicated thread for adapters which i would like to see receive your contribution.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-lenses/265496-show-us-your-conversion-adaptation.html