Secondhand M9's ,worth it or wait?

steveclem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it really worth waiting for or buying the M-E or M(240) rather than a used M9 now?

I rather like the idea of a full frame M and used prices are around the 2k mark on private sales but caveat emptor and all that. I'm talking about a camera with original receipt/paperwork, maybe boxed, maybe not boxed. I'd save roughly £1000 on a shop sold camera though obviously without guarantee or comeback but I've not had issues before for whatever that's worth. Isn't the M-E just a newer M9 with a couple of slight differences and obviously zero shutter use outside of the factory tests, I'd like to think of a used M9 c/w sub 3k actuation's as one that's been 'run in' and as long as the body has no dents or signs of abuse it should be a runner for many years to come in an amateurs hands.

Thoughts please?

Any savings you may get on purchasing a used M9, could be lost in a heartbeat should the camera need repair due to malfunction/defect. Buy new, and with the warranty. I learned this the hard way. I'd go for the M-E; it's going to be more reliable, as it's still in production.

I would expect to pay more than £2K for an M9 like this but i would either keep my M8 until i can afford the M-240 or go for a s/h M9 with warranty instead of a new M-E which is essentially the same camera without frame selector as i find the latter handy and i don't see the point of spending the big bucks for outdated outfits but it's just me.

Is it really worth waiting for or buying the M-E or M(240) rather than a used M9 now?

I rather like the idea of a full frame M and used prices are around the 2k mark on private sales but caveat emptor and all that. I'm talking about a camera with original receipt/paperwork, maybe boxed, maybe not boxed. I'd save roughly £1000 on a shop sold camera though obviously without guarantee or comeback but I've not had issues before for whatever that's worth. Isn't the M-E just a newer M9 with a couple of slight differences and obviously zero shutter use outside of the factory tests, I'd like to think of a used M9 c/w sub 3k actuation's as one that's been 'run in' and as long as the body has no dents or signs of abuse it should be a runner for many years to come in an amateurs hands.

Thoughts please?

I think you meant a bit below 3k

Never seen even a 100,000 actuation camera for 2k

Wishful thinking ?

i just bought an m-e, well 4 months ago and i had the exact thoughts as you. at the end of the day, there is always a risk with 2nd products. you just never know, even if it's got no external markings or damage on it. there is still a risk.

the m-e is a brand new camera. any obvious problems have been ironed out by leica over the 3 years the m9 has been in production. it's really a cheap brand new m9. the price difference between 2nd hand m9 and m-e isn't all that big.

there's nothing quite like a brand new product and being its first owner. whether it be a motorbike, car or camera. you know its history, how it's been treated. there are no doubts.

also for me, the m240 was never a consideration. i think it's an amazing camera but for me, i wanted the simplicity of the m9. i didn't need all the features of the m240 and i couldn't afford that either.

Edited by cheewai_m6

Once the M240 comes on stream, the supply of M9s is inevitably going to increase because at least some of those buying the camera will want to move their existing M9s (M8s too) on. That will presumably depress prices further.

I don't agree with the idea that a secondhand M is a financial liability though. We know the display on the M8 is a problem but the M9 will be economically repairable for the most typical problems - alignment, electronics, even sensor replacement. If you buy from a dealer, you should get at least some warranty to see you through the first weeks, hopefully months.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Personally I would only buy a s/h digital camera from a dealer who provides at least 6 months warranty, unless it was very cheap or such a bargain that the saving would offset any potential repair costs i.e. if the sensor should fail or be found to be faulty.

That said, I would only buy if I could inspect it thoroughly in person before parting with my cash - ebay sellers often have a knack of being unaware of 'issues' that are immediately apparent to anyone else!

Steve - I just bought an absolutely mint silver chrome M9P on Ebay - 750 actuation's on it, original receipts, less than 1year old with over a year Leica warranty remaining. Not a mark on it and nearly £2000 less than what I paid for a black paint one new.

I think if you shop carefully and know what you're buying there are a lot of bargains to be had.

My experience has been very good I suppose. I have never been scammed on Ebay - having also bought 2 M8.2,s and lots of lenses with every one being perfect.

Good for you. If you are lucky you can safe a bunch of money that way.

I for myself would not buy second hand without official warranty in this price class and not many on ebay actually do have warranty left..

And if your cam needs a repair after 1/2 a year - you're going to pay the real price :rolleyes:

Cheers

Second hand M9s, especially M9-Ps are a good buy with depressed prices, which is happening.

• Many folks will let go of their M9s and good buys will present in the market.
  • The M9-P is identical to the M-E and in fact has better features (frame selector, external USB and sapphire crystal display). Even the M9 is better than the M-E.
  • After to you buy the M9 or M9-P, wait for the next release of the M, where all kinks are ironed out. You might even get the Maestro 2 processor, support for auto-focus etc.

As what other forumers say, buy with caution and through reputed dealers.

Steve - I just bought an absolutely mint silver chrome M9P on Ebay - 750 actuation's on it, original receipts, less than 1year old with over a year Leica warranty remaining. Not a mark on it and nearly £2000 less than what I paid for a black paint one new.

Sounds good to me and, IMHO, I think the silver chrome M9-P is the best looking Digital M camera so far.

If I had a M9 or M9P I probably wouldn't think of buying a M240 NOW : I have a 6 years old fine M8, so consider seriously to buy the M240... BUT, should I decide that is not for me, a secondhand M9(P) would be a very likely option, considering as real cost the buying of it PLUS a CLA in Solms.

Sounds good to me and, IMHO, I think the silver chrome M9-P is the best looking Digital M camera so far.

So do I - I sold mine for a sensible price £3400 to someone in the States - mint, but with about 10,000 actuations.

I think it's a real tough call to see what happens to the second hand price though.

all the best

A used M9-P is a very good option at the moment. Even the very oldest will have 5-6 months warranty remaining (Leica has a good record of honouring the warranty on second hand goods) and there is also the option of the extended third year for €299.

Buying used always carries some risk. That said I decide what I want, and then shop for the best value on it, used. It takes some work and an investment in time, but it's always paid off for me. I think the only camera I ever bought that needed repair when it arrived was a "good condition" M4 that someone had put their thumb through the curtains... so a new shutter curtain was in order, but I've always bought my used gear at prices where I could afford to have them repaired if need be. With what I saved over buying new on my current bodies, I've bought seven lenses and a Visoflex III. I'd much rather someone else take that $3,500 depreciation hit, thank you.

If you can pick up a used, like-new M9 for oh say... $3,500 then that leaves you $2k (over buying a new M-E at list price) to buy lenses... or to get the camera repaired in the very unlikely event it might need it. Especially on Leica equipment, I've found that most Leica owners are quite honest about the condition of their gear. When possible, I prefer to find my gear from members of forums like this where there is some peer pressure to be honest.

Yes, I was a bit surprised to see a Nikon D2X for £325 in Tottenham Court Road (a shadow of its former self). I still have one lurking at the back of the cupboard and prefer to use the single sided charger which came with it when I travelling with my D3 and D3x, so I don't suppose I will ever sell it.

Truth is, I find it a lot easier to buy an extra item of equipment than dispose of an existing one, witness the 28-90 sitting on my desk which is just waiting for the M240 to come along... At some point, I expect I will pluck up the "courage" to p/ex my Nikon DX lenses for something.

• Like 1

I went to order a me M-E from a reputable dealer. He was out of stock with nothing coming in for a while, so he recommended buying a used M9 with a low shutter count, less than 1200. After receiving it, I gave it a quick visual inspection and took a few shots around the house to get a feel for this beauty(this is my first Leica). All looked good so out we went for our first shooting session. I took about 20 or 30 shots, took a look at the LCD to check exposure and found that the sensor had cracked. I'm not sure if it was delivered to me this way or if it happened after I had started using it as I didn't look thouroughly at my first few snaps as they were deleted almost immediately after taking them. Luckily the dealer said it would be repaired at no cost to me and I was given a loaner to use while mine is being repaired(so far, over a month). If I had bought private party, I would probably be stuck handling this on my own. Luckily the dealer I bought from is very helpful and understanding, but after this experience I would be very cautious buying private party unless I could some kind of written guarantee. If I were doing it again, I'd wait for a new M-E.

I went to order a me M-E from a reputable dealer. He was out of stock with nothing coming in for a while, so he recommended buying a used M9 with a low shutter count, less than 1200. After receiving it, I gave it a quick visual inspection and took a few shots around the house to get a feel for this beauty(this is my first Leica). All looked good so out we went for our first shooting session. I took about 20 or 30 shots, took a look at the LCD to check exposure and found that the sensor had cracked. I'm not sure if it was delivered to me this way or if it happened after I had started using it as I didn't look thouroughly at my first few snaps as they were deleted almost immediately after taking them. Luckily the dealer said it would be repaired at no cost to me and I was given a loaner to use while mine is being repaired(so far, over a month). If I had bought private party, I would probably be stuck handling this on my own. Luckily the dealer I bought from is very helpful and understanding, but after this experience I would be very cautious buying private party unless I could some kind of written guarantee. If I were doing it again, I'd wait for a new M-E.

I second rramesh. However I would look into the costs of sending a M9 to Leica for remapping of dead pixel/red line since this seems to be a risk. I dont know the exact costs, or if Leica does this for free? Anyone knows?

In Dec 2012 it was $450 USD, remap, and a cla was a part. There are parts that need lube/replacement like the card contacts.

There are a limited number of remaps possible, after which you buy a sensor.

• Like 1

Guest WPalank
In Dec 2012 it was $450 USD, remap, and a cla was a part. There are parts that need lube/replacement like the card contacts.

There are a limited number of remaps possible, after which you buy a sensor.

My recent price for the above service, but including the replacement of an "o" ring, was $475.