DLUX-6 Screen protector. What are my options?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good Afternoon,

I have recently acquired a DLUX-6, and was looking into getting a screen protector for the rear LCD. I prefer glass or hard plastic protectors, the stick on kind have failed me in the past. I'm leaning most toward the Giottos 3" glass screen protector. Does anyone have any pro's/con's for this particular brand? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the whirlpool (oops, Forum) Jay!!

I have used the flexible adhesive film to protect the screens of my digital cameras for many years. I don't use add-on hard plastic or glass screens because when dust, grit and other crud gets between them and the screen (as it always does), the screen is the first to get irreversible scratches - after all, the hardened glass or plastic screens are designed to resist scratches.

I suggest that you use the adhesive plastic protectors for the screen of your D-Lux 6, especially if you carry it around in a pocket where dust, grit and lint accumulate. Use a good brand of protective film, and replace the protector whenever it becomes too scratched - they're not meant to be everlasting. Then the underlying screen, and quality of its image, will remain pristine.

This is common practice amongst pros who push their DSLRs hard in some rather unfriendly environments. Those beautiful plastic screen protectors that come with their new cameras usually stay in the box, or go straight to the recycle bin.

Hope this helps

I do not know if the Dlux 6 has the same problem as the Dlux 5 where any standard hard screen protector would prevent the EVF goinjg into the connector fully. Red Dot Cameras of London had a sp-ecial batch of screen protectors made with a cutout at the top to get round this problem.

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=18_30_80&products_id=2991

• Like 1

Gabriel, thank you for pointing the issue with the EVF out. I had not considered that it could be an problem. The EVF was backordered when I picked up my camera, but hopefully once it arrives next week I can see how it fits, and take things from there. Im hoping even though the 6 is slightly taller than the 5 the cut out protector will still be useable. I would never have found that site without your link. Many thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to follow up, I finally got to fit the viewfinder to the camera and it does not seem to pose the same issues as with the D-LUX 5. The part where the port sits on the 6, just below the hot shoe, is raised about a centimeter above the LCD. With the EVF attached there is more than enough room to fit a hard poly or glass cover. Seems like no cut out is needed on the 6.

• 4 weeks later...