UV filter for WATE (protective purpose)

rirakuma

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, I have a WATE on order and was wondering if there are any UV filter that I can use on the lens without attaching the 67mm step up filter? I see on this sale page FS: Sold: Leica 16-18-21 WATEFOR SALE: Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar f/4 (WATE). Bought - FM Forums that there is some kind of filter inbetween the hood and the lens (I'm guessing this is the IR cut filter), is there one available just as a UV filter? I can't find links for Leica filters sold in reverse thread (because the WATE has a male thread at the end).

Rocky

I think what you are refering to is the John Milich adaptor between the lens and the hood. This enables standard filters to be used on the M8 (not sure about the M9) instead of the standard Leica Franken filter holder for this lens with 67mm filters. If I remenber this does not work with the M9 because the M9 uses the full frame of the lens.

That filter holder was designed on this forum because we all detested the look of the 67mm step up ring and the fact the dust could get in through the holes and there was no lens-cap or lens hood. The filter holder fitted between the lens and the hood and was made by a member here, John Milich; you bought one of these, a 49mm filter, extracted the glass and installed it in the filter holder. However, this filter holder moves the hood forwards and causes vignetting on the M9. It's fine on the M8 where it was designed to be used for the UV/IR filter.

Leica must have liked the idea so much they copied the design for the UV/IR filter for the 18mm Super Elmar, though they never to my knowledge acknowledged the fact. Again, this filter was only suitable for use on the M8. On the M9, it causes vignetting.

If all you want to do is to protect the WATE with a filter on the M9, there is no elegant solution.

I have a WATE on order and was wondering if there are any UV filter that I can use on the lens without attaching the 67 mm step-up filter adapter?

Maybe some obscure third-party supplier has a weird solution—but as far as Leica's offerings go ... no, there aren't. But then—no-one needs a UV filter anyway. If you want to use useful filters (as opposed to a UV filter) then I'm afraid you'll have to resort to the Leica E67 filter adapter.

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I only wanted to use the filter for protective purpose as it'd be really unfortunate if anything happens to the front of the glass. Looks like I have no choice but to leave it exposed, I don't think I can stand leaving the 67mm filter on all the time :(

rirakuma-

As you might know the front element actually protrudes past the front of the lens barrel and as such Leica makes the threads that you screw the lens hood onto the lens red in color as a warning not to attached anything directly except for the lens hood. Or another way to say it red means watch out-- protruding front lens element!

I have found that the provided lens hood actually provides very good protection for the front element. Thus I never remove the lens hood and use its plastic cover for protection when not shooting.

I must say when I bought this lens I never dreamed I would use 16mm very much. Well, I find myself using 16mm 98% of the time with it, but from time to time I do "zoom" out to use 18mm. Frankly I have never used 21mm since I prefer the 21/3.4 SEM.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Algrove, thanks for your comment. I've used a 21mm for a while now but there have been many occasions that it just simply wasn't wide enough. The 21 I use is a Zeiss and due to its low distortion I'm comfortable using it for portraits. I hope that when I get the WATE I'll stick to my shooting style and only go wider when I need it :)

Edited by rirakuma

I have found that the provided lens hood actually provides very good protection for the front element. Thus I never remove the lens hood and use its plastic cover for protection when not shooting.

Same here.

Frankly I have never used 21 mm since I prefer the Super-Elmar-M 21/3.4 Asph.

I am using my WATE mostly at 21 mm, on an M9. I like this focal length—and the WATE is so good at this setting, I don't feel the need to get an Elmarit-M 21 Asph or Super-Elmar-M 21 Asph.

Admirably, the WATE is just as good at 18 mm and 16 mm as far as sharpness goes; only vignetting and distortion are slightly higher than at 21 mm (which however hardly ever is a concern). So of course I don't hesitate to use the wider settings when required but usually 21 mm is wide enough.

The WATE is a wonderful lens and the hood is all one needs to protect the lens.

Besides on the M9, I also use the lens on NEX-5N, NEX-7, and OM-D E-M5 with crop factors of 1.5x respectively 2x.

That's a nice range of FOVs.

Best is, I haven't noticed yet a red edge getting in the way. :)

the photo below shows my filter solution on the WATE. if you think it looks somewhere between clumsy and ugly, you're probably right, but if filters are necessary = protection, color, polarizing, etc.) then this is one of few solutions. :confused:

good luck

rick

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Rick, thanks a bunch for that useful pic! You're right it does look quite intrusive I can't imagine using that comfortably like I would with the standard hood. I know many people are happy to shoot with their lens exposed (and never have any problems) but I've worked real hard to save up for the lens and it would be very unfortunate if anything happens to it :( hence why I asked about the protective filter.

i believe i sold my WATE with the leica filter adapter, but the lens hood and cap may still be around. if you're interested, i'll mail them to you for a trial.

as to intrusive, remember that you'll use the camera rangefinder for focusing and an external viewfinder for rough framing, where the 'intrusion' IMHO is not so bothersome.

cheers

rick

• Like 1

The WATE is a wonderful lens and the hood is all one needs to protect the lens.

I am thinking of a WATE too. Does the front lens protrude like the one of the SE 18mm?

If the lens does not protrude, I would only need a lens cap.

My car is far more expensive. Sorry, the word "was" is better.

Anyhow, I drive my car unprotected in this world of rowdies.

Jan

I am thinking of a WATE too. Does the front lens protrude like the one of the SE 18mm?

If the lens does not protrude, I would only need a lens cap.

My car is far more expensive. Sorry, the word "was" is better.

Anyhow, I drive my car unprotected in this world of rowdies.

Jan

I refer you to post #6 above.

• Like 1