regular

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I have sent my M9 (out of warranty) and my new Noctilux Asph (under warranty) to Leica Solms in order to have them both calibrated.

Now Leica tells me that there is a CCD sensor misalignment, and some repair services have to be charged. When I ask if the misalignement is because of a tolerance issue during the body assembly, Leica representative answers it must be because of a bad usage and a chock, for example "skiing with the camera" (!).

Have you heard of sensor alignment issues with the Leica M9 before, and do you think the M9 is so fragile that the sensor can shift ? Or is it a case of bad QC? My black-paint M9 does not have any sign of chock.

The only similar case I have found is here, and it seems to be a tolerance/QC issue :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/260171-some-thoughts-leica-quality-leica-nj.html

Thanks and Regards

• 5 years later...
On 2/6/2013 at 10:28 PM, regular said:

Hello all,

I have sent my M9 (out of warranty) and my new Noctilux Asph (under warranty) to Leica Solms in order to have them both calibrated.

Now Leica tells me that there is a CCD sensor misalignment, and some repair services have to be charged. When I ask if the misalignement is because of a tolerance issue during the body assembly, Leica representative answers it must be because of a bad usage and a chock, for example "skiing with the camera" (!).

Have you heard of sensor alignment issues with the Leica M9 before, and do you think the M9 is so fragile that the sensor can shift ? Or is it a case of bad QC? My black-paint M9 does not have any sign of chock.

The only similar case I have found is here, and it seems to be a tolerance/QC issue :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/260171-some-thoughts-leica-quality-leica-nj.html

Thanks and Regards

Hi there!

I just came across this due to the fact that I sent my Monochrom in to Leica NJ and the repair note says "sensor out of tolerance" and wanted to know if you ever found out what was the cause of your issue.

In 2014 I called in at Solms for a factory visit.  While I was going round, my M9 had a free "once-over".  When I went to get it I was told the sensor was out of alignment and would have to be corrected, which it was free of charge.  At the same time they tweeked my 50mm Summicron to make it digital friendly. The camera was made in 2009, but I had only had it a few weeks - bought from a dealer in the UK.  I hadn't noticed anything wrong with the images, and didn't notice any difference when I got it back!

Unfortunately it is now on its way to Wetzlar to have the sensor replaced after contracting delamination, for which I will have to pay.  This is the original sensor, so it has lasted ten years.

Susie

It is standard that the sensor alignment get checked on every camera coming in. It is a regular occurrence that it needs to be adjusted. Not surprising, as it needs to be within a tolerance of 1/1000 mm, and Leica uses a laser interferometer for the process. So not to worry, this is routine.